IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where Are the Up-and-Coming PPV Stars?
Cshel86
post Mar 22 2012, 09:45 AM
Post #1

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

As we all know, the two biggest draws in the sport, dont have much time left before they retire. With that said, where are all of the new PPV stars? I mean seriously, some of these guys are decent ticket sellers in their respective divisions, but why aren't they being pushed into the PPV realm more often?

I guess the PPV exposure would get them where they need to be in the near future. Could it be a lack of ring appeal/personality or does it cost that much to get these guys to headline a PPV card?

Hell, I paid to see Dawson/Hopkins, and the sells were terrible. So I'd pay too see the Berto/ortiz rematch, or even the Khan/Peterson rematch. I would pay these to see these for a lower price of course...somewhere around $40.

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 22 2012, 09:50 AM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

I don' know but am going to b glad when Mayweather and Pac retire, it'll give other people a chance to the mainstream audience since all I hear from the casuals is Mayweather his and Pac that.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 22 2012, 09:56 AM
Post #3

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 22 2012, 10:50 AM) *
I don' know but am going to b glad when Mayweather and Pac retire, it'll give other people a chance to the mainstream audience since all I hear from the casuals is Mayweather his and Pac that.

I wholeheartedly agree! Their run at the top of the sport have become more of a hassle nowadays. I mean that shit makes people almost come to blows when discussing it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/no2.gif)

Man the 140 lb division was full of PPV star potential, but those dudes started dropping off like flies, or started crying for Mayweather/Pacquiao and fucked up the whole flow of things (IMG:style_emoticons/default/no2.gif)

I was waiting to see Ortiz, Khan, Peterson, Bradley, Alexander, Maidana, and few other take over the PPV era, though some of them are bigger draws than the others. Instead, guys started looking "not so good" in the ring, then the whole FMJ/Pac disease just killed everybody's focus.

Honestly, the first Berto/Ortiz fight should've been a PPV, but oh well. Most of the time, people dont even watch the fight on the night that it's aired anyway...so hearing all of the hype about it throughout the week, then catching the free HBO replay the next week would've been cool.

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 22 2012, 10:24 AM
Post #4

Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,445

I'd say Broner, Rios, Alvarez, and Alexander (maybe) are on the path to becomin' future PPV stars. Broner and Rios are at the top of that list based on their personality, alone. In that sense, they're very marketable. They're all still a work in progress, though, but I believe they're improvin' with each fight.

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 22 2012, 10:25 AM
Post #5

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 22 2012, 10:56 AM) *
I wholeheartedly agree! Their run at the top of the sport have become more of a hassle nowadays. I mean that shit makes people almost come to blows when discussing it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/no2.gif)

Man the 140 lb division was full of PPV star potential, but those dudes started dropping off like flies, or started crying for Mayweather/Pacquiao and fucked up the whole flow of things (IMG:style_emoticons/default/no2.gif)

I was waiting to see Ortiz, Khan, Peterson, Bradley, Alexander, Maidana, and few other take over the PPV era, though some of them are bigger draws than the others. Instead, guys started looking "not so good" in the ring, then the whole FMJ/Pac disease just killed everybody's focus.

Honestly, the first Berto/Ortiz fight should've been a PPV, but oh well. Most of the time, people dont even watch the fight on the night that it's aired anyway...so hearing all of the hype about it throughout the week, then catching the free HBO replay the next week would've been cool.
I agree.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 22 2012, 10:30 AM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Mar 22 2012, 11:24 AM) *
I'd say Broner, Rios, Alvarez, and Alexander (maybe) are on the path to becomin' future PPV stars. Broner and Rios are at the top of that list based on their personality, alone. In that sense, they're very marketable. They're all still a work in progress, though, but I believe they're improvin' with each fight.

I agree, and I actually commend TR on taking a chance with Rios and headlining a PPV. I like how GBP did the Morales/Maidana PPV card last year, which Im thankful to this day that I ordered.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Mar 22 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #7

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

I'm interested in seeing more of Gary Russell, Jr. First things first, drop that Jr. shit...it's a curse in boxing, to be a Jr. NOT from a famous Sr. I mean, who wants to see a fighter w/ a minister sounding name?

+Quote Post
karmine20
post Mar 22 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #8

Amateur

Member No.: 13,403

Mark my words adrien broner will be the new PPV king once Floyd retires. He possesses everything needed in order to succeed at the level. Not to mention he is quiet entertaining and he reminds me of Floyd.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Mar 22 2012, 12:01 PM
Post #9

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (karmine20 @ Mar 22 2012, 12:55 PM) *
Mark my words adrien broner will be the new PPV king once Floyd retires. He possesses everything needed in order to succeed at the level. Not to mention he is quiet entertaining and he reminds me of Floyd.

I don't know about PPV king, but I think he'll definitely be a star. The fact that he reminds you of Floyd, may be the ONE hinderance he'll have to deal with. People HAAAAAAAAATE PBF and damn near anyone who looks like him.....some will be put off by Broner (me NOT INCLUDED).

+Quote Post
karmine20
post Mar 22 2012, 01:32 PM
Post #10

Amateur

Member No.: 13,403

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 22 2012, 01:01 PM) *
I don't know about PPV king, but I think he'll definitely be a star. The fact that he reminds you of Floyd, may be the ONE hinderance he'll have to deal with. People HAAAAAAAAATE PBF and damn near anyone who looks like him.....some will be put off by Broner (me NOT INCLUDED).

Thatís exactly why i think he will succeed bc hate him or love him people still tune into watch him. Now granted youíre probably tuning in to watch him lose but I definitely donít see him losing anytime soon. Heís a hard worker and I have yet to see him take anyone for granted, but again this is just my opinion

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 07:22 PM