IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where Are the Up-and-Coming PPV Stars?
Franchize
post Mar 22 2012, 01:56 PM
Post #11

Junior Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 22 2012, 10:50 AM) *
I don' know but am going to b glad when Mayweather and Pac retire, it'll give other people a chance to the mainstream audience since all I hear from the casuals is Mayweather his and Pac that.

I have to disagree. I think Mayweather retiring is going to be like when Jay Z stops rapping. I just don't see anyone taking his place for a while but personality wise and with skill. I guess Broner is the next up but I think he's trying to master the extra curricular stuff as much if not more than the actual boxing. People forget that Mayweatehr was once a pretty humble guy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sduck
post Mar 22 2012, 02:16 PM
Post #12

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

I'll say when Pac and May retire, boxing will be dead to the mainstream for a while, then might rise back up with upcoming stars like Bradley, Broner, or whoever. Frankly I don't see anyone taking the PPV throne and shattering records. They're just given scraps to what boxing once was in popularity.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 22 2012, 02:50 PM
Post #13

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Let's not forget how some of these new age fighters are conducting their careers as if the age of 30 will be their stopping point. Seriously, they're either trying to jump from A to Z a bit too quickly.

None of these guys have the intention of cleaning out the division, they just want safe fights, then the Big Fight. Skill-wise, most of them aren't ready for the 1A and 1B fighters of the sport.

I guess Im just looking for most of these guys to face each other (in their division), but their promoters are too damn afraid to lose out. Why work so hard to fight to two fighters in the world, when they're probably never going to fight each other anyway?

Like I said earlier, these guys could have had a couple of PPVs by now...and that's just them fighting against each other.

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Mar 22 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #14

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

I wouldnt spend a dollar on any of those bums out there right now. Broner has skill but he needs that big fight to gain peoples interest. Right now hes just a great talent with a belt. Rios, Canelo, Bradley, Berto, and Ortiz YAWN.........................

+Quote Post
Kratza
post Mar 22 2012, 03:49 PM
Post #15

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,360

When Mayweather retires we've still got Mayweather part 2 to watch (Adrien Broner) and maybe even a Pacquiao part 2 in Donaire...

+Quote Post
karmine20
post Mar 22 2012, 03:54 PM
Post #16

Amateur

Member No.: 13,403

I wish people would stop mentioning Ortiz and Berto as if they even have a chance of being a PPV king when they arenít even in the elite category. You only even talk about them because they had one of the most entertaining matches in a while. And Ortiz on the other hand will always be remembered for quitting against madiana.Im a firm believer once a quitter always a quitter. Berto is still out for revenge for the lost he endured until then he can take the proper steps in putting him in the elite category. And I still will have questions about that because he lacks the correct head movement. He gets hit absolutely entirely too much. But again this is just my opinion.

+Quote Post
JammyJam
post Mar 22 2012, 03:56 PM
Post #17

Amateur

Member No.: 13,561

I 'd have to say that Canelo and JCC jr have the best shot, just because of their following. They are also taking the easy road to the top while becoming household names. I mean anyone who has watched the last few Mayweather PPVs has now seen Canelo and that only serves to build his name.

I think Broner has got the marketing down as well, and although he fights similar to Mayweather, he provides the end knockout the casual fan hopes to see.

Rios will definitely be a big draw one day, pending he can beat at least one elite fighter like a Marquez.

I don't think Andre Ward will ever be a big draw, because he is too humble. The casual fan wants to see a stereotypical, loud mouth black guy. I hope that he gets more notoriety though.

I think Donaire and Khan also have good chances of being ppv kings just because Donaire can fill the Flip void and Khan is very popular amongst the celebrities apparently.

Everyone else aint shit... well I might throw berto in there if he can beat ortiz and beat some top level competition...he also is highly popular with the celebs and likeable.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Mar 22 2012, 06:05 PM
Post #18

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

I think Broner, Rios, Donaire, Canelo (already a big draw), Alexander (if he can string together good performances) can potentially be that next wave of PPV stars. But the one who I think can breakthrough and become a PPV star is Andre Ward. He has the personality, the skills. He's a total package.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 22 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #19

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (karmine20 @ Mar 22 2012, 04:54 PM) *
I wish people would stop mentioning Ortiz and Berto as if they even have a chance of being a PPV king when they arenít even in the elite category. You only even talk about them because they had one of the most entertaining matches in a while.

Wanna know why they has one of the most entertaining fights in a while?...for starters, probably because they were matched against each other. Second, they both had something to fight for...Berto had to remain undefeated, and that was Ortiz' last straw at significance.

So yes, out of the two, I'll give it to Ortiz, more so than Berto. I believe that he will do decent numbers in the future (if matched correctly)...

QUOTE (JammyJam @ Mar 22 2012, 04:56 PM) *
I 'd have to say that Canelo and JCC jr have the best shot, just because of their following. They are also taking the easy road to the top while becoming household names. I mean anyone who has watched the last few Mayweather PPVs has now seen Canelo and that only serves to build his name.

I think Donaire and Khan also have good chances of being ppv kings just because Donaire can fill the Flip void and Khan is very popular amongst the celebrities apparently.

Canelo sells big, but he has to get past Shane on May 5th, then people will really start talking. Khan has a pretty good shot, if he can stop fighting like an amateur. Donaire...pretty good fighter, but he will NEVER fill that Filipino void after Manny. He will lucky if he's mentioned in the same sentence as Manny after he retires.

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 22 2012, 07:05 PM) *
But the one who I think can breakthrough and become a PPV star is Andre Ward. He has the personality, the skills. He's a total package.

He's the total package in the ring, but image-wise, his team has some heavy lifting to do.

+Quote Post
jvo1800
post Mar 22 2012, 07:18 PM
Post #20

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 10,205

Broner HANDS DOWN......

Reason #1 Lots and lots of personality which equals ticket sales

Reason #2 He is a half ass decent fighter who is only gonna get better

Reason #3 He maintains his work ethic as well as his side show activities

Reason #4 He's a small fighter so he's right in the thick of things to whereas he can fight the better fighters out there which are at the smaller divisions

Reason #5 Fans are gonna wanna pay to see him whether its due to being a fan or just being tired of his arrogance and hoping he gets knocked out

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st August 2014 - 04:39 AM