Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Revisiting Mayweather vs. Castillo I
MaxPayne
post Mar 24 2012, 08:55 PM
Post #1

Featherweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13,282

I've heard on many occasions about this being the "blemish" on Floyd Mayweather's professional record over the years. I've watched the fight several times, but decided to watch it again, specifically from Castillo's perspective. I wanted to see the actual punches that he landed and what damage he was able to do.

I'm going to provide a short synopsis of the rounds to specifically point out significant shots that Castillo lands:

Round 1: No significant shots by Castillo.

Scoring: 10-9 Mayweather

Round 2: No significant shots by Castillo.

Round 3: Left jab, straight right combination by Castillo.

Round 4: Left uppercut by Castillo.

Round 5: Right hook (to the body), left hook by Castillo.

Round 6: Straight right hand, right hook (to the body) by Castillo.

Scoring: 10 - 9 Mayweather

Round 7: Straight right hand (to the body), left hook, straight right hand (3 such punches), right hook (2 such punches) by Castillo.

Scoring: 10-9 Castillo

Round 8: Right hook (to the body) by Castillo.

Scoring: 10-9 Mayweather (round would ordinarily have been scored 9-9 as it was basically tied, but the point deduction for Castillo gave Mayweather the 10-9 score).

Round 9: Left uppercut, straight right hand by Castillo.

Round 10: Straight right hand, straight right hand (to the body), left-right combination, left hook (to the body, 2 such punches) by Castillo.

Scoring: 10-8 Castillo (Castillo won the round and received a further 1 point bonus for the penalty given to Mayweather).

Round 11: Left hook (to the body, 5 such punches), right hook (to the body, 2 such punches), straight right hand (2 such punches), left uppercut by Castillo.

Scoring: 10-9 Castillo

Round 12: Straight right hand (to the body), left hook (to the body, 2 such punches)

Scoring: 9-9 even

Final Scoring: 115 - 112 Mayweather

Random thoughts:

My general thoughts on Floyd's offense in this fight: several jabs to both the body and the head, a number of clean leaping left hooks. Sporadic use of the straight right hand and the right hook, but clean shots landed here and there.

This is a fight where Compubox showed some serious limitations. In one of the early rounds (3 I believe), it showed Castillo supposedly landing 24 shots to Floyd's 12. I challenge anyone to watch that round again and see if they come anywhere near those numbers. Floyd cleanly out-strikes Castillo in that round.

A lot of the outrage is only understandable as Castillo does well in the last 4 rounds. However, that doesn't save him from being 7 rounds in the red by that point, and that pretty clearly.

Even if you were to give Castillo the 12th round simply based on momentum, then the final score changes to 114-112 for Mayweather.

This was a close fight, and I give Castillo a lot of credit for battling in the trenches and late in the fight.

Having said that, anyone who thinks Floyd actually lost this fight really needs to watch it again and pay careful attention to what's happening in the ring without listening to the commentators or utilizing Compuscore.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Plah
post Mar 24 2012, 10:26 PM
Post #2

Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,629

Having said that, anyone who thinks Floyd actually lost this fight really needs to watch it again and pay careful attention to what's happening in the ring without listening to the commentators or utilizing Compuscore.
[/quote]

I always, always point that... Whoever manages compubox was waaaay off that night... And I felt that the referee, I believe was Draculic, sucked.

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Mar 24 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #3

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

i remember when first watching this fight i noticed Mayweather having the first 5-6 rounds easily then from there on he slowed it down but still was never really in harm, smacked on that dude castillo all night, i remember he later said that didn't see how people seen it so close because he felt it was an easy fight. I wouldnt agree with the compubox either in the fight, they must of counted the punches that were deflected. Castillo came to fight that night but he was easily beaten, hands down, the people who say who lost are the ones who always want to see him lose

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 25 2012, 06:43 AM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

ive seen this fight slowed down and i still think mayweather lost, so really with his logic hes been defeated

+Quote Post
Run and Gun Game...
post Mar 25 2012, 09:50 AM
Post #5

Welterweight

Member No.: 195

I have watched the fight numberous times myself, floyd lost the fight in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 25 2012, 09:50 AM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

Sigh...now Im gonna have to watch this fight with a fine-tooth comb. Okay guys...be back in little while!

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 25 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

if he did lose and still whooped castillo in the rematch I would given him more credit for it easily.

+Quote Post
alaganza
post Mar 25 2012, 04:49 PM
Post #8

Lightweight

Member No.: 76

I give Floyd credit for rematching Castillo. However, if he had taken care of business in the first fight the rematch would have been moot. Call it a bad style or even an off night for floyd. My opinion is he lost the fight.

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 25 2012, 06:46 PM
Post #9

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Mar 25 2012, 10:50 AM) *
I have watched the fight numberous times myself, floyd lost the fight in my opinion.

After viewin' your signature, you know I gotta ask... Is this an honest opinion, or is it pure bias? I'll be back with my assessment, later. 1 more question... In your opinion, who was the winner (in your mind) of Pacquiao-Marquez III?

This post has been edited by BoxingFan86: Mar 25 2012, 06:49 PM

+Quote Post
sduck
post Mar 25 2012, 09:13 PM
Post #10

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

This would be probably my 4th time scoring the fight. I always had Floyd winning the fight close. This time around I saw it as a lopsided victory.

Mayweather - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, (7), 8, 9, (10), 11,
Castillo - 6, (7), (10), 12

Mayweather - 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 9, 9, 10, 10, 9, 10, 9 - 116
Castillo - 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 10, 9, 8, 9, 9, 9, 10 - 109

116-109 - Mayweather

Additional Info: Castillo was the reigning defending champ. Mayweather's second fight at 135, however did move up in weight for this fight. Castillo outweighed Floyd by 9lbs. The fight was for the WBC Lightweight title. The referee of the bought was Victor "Vic" Drakulich. Judges were from Thailand (Anek Hongtongkam), England (John Keane), and Las Vegas (Jerry Roth). All judges scored the fight in favor for Floyd, Roth and Keane scored it 115-111, Hongtongkam scored it 116-111. Floyd complained about his arm after round one and on, no complaints from Castillo's side.

My Additional Info: How I got this score this time around, I payed more attention to what Castillo was throwing, and I don't know what the compubox onlooker saw, most of Castillo's shots to me were dodged, blocked, skinned, or illegal. Castillo started off trying to box the first 3 rounds, which were the most lop-sided rounds, and then started fighting more wild and aggressive as the fight progressed. Most of the rounds were very close, some could of went either way, however whenever I score the fight I always see Floyd edging the victory. I saw that Floyd, though backpedaling most the fight, controlled most the rounds with his jab, left hooks, and straight rights. He made Castillo miss a lot, and at some points punished him for pressuring him on the ropes. Castillo did land significant shots throughout the fight, and was effectively aggressive, but for me wasn't enough to win the fight. I know the general perception is people want to say the fight was very close, or Castillo won, but score the fight on your own accord without bias. If commentary effects your judging, watch the fight without sound. The commentary really did favor the champion (Castillo) in this fight. Whether it was because he was the champion, or because they progress hate for Floyd remains to be the former to me.

P.S.: My favorite part of the fight was round 11 when Floyd stood in the center of the ring and fought Castillo in the pocket. Floyd blocked and made Castillo miss a lot of punches, and landed some solid body shots, probably the most solid punches of the entire fight. I actually think it would of been better if he fought the entire fight in the pocket like he did in round 11.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 05:53 AM