IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Molina-Kirkland Compuclinch, 118 (You Tube Video)
Cshel86
post Mar 26 2012, 12:03 PM
Post #11

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Kirkland's inability to adjust was terribly obvious, and the fact that Molina was so busy, also posed as a nightmare for him. He can come back and knock Molina out in a round or two in the rematch, but the damage is done.

It sort of reminds me of how Quintana outworked and beat P. Williams in their first fight, but Paul came back and knocked him out in the rematch. The damage was already done over the course of those rounds.

Its rough to watch a guuy get outworked and outsmarted for that many rounds, and not feel compelled to question their ability to make adjustments. Excessive clinching/clamping or not, other fighters can remix what Carlos did, and have better success at beating James.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 26 2012, 01:10 PM
Post #12

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,505

Yup, the clinching is b.s. and could be called cowardly, but as has been said, Kirkland didn't make any material adjustments in response to it in the earlier rounds.
I can understand the criticisms around trying to get a brawler to out-box a boxer, but if he had made the necessary adjustments I think that he could've been succesful enough with boxing and brawling, because of the way Molina was fighting. As mentioned already, Kirkland didn't try to catch Molina with uppercuts when he was coming in or fight off the back foot. Ostensibly, Kirkland was the stronger puncher and could have given himself more breathing room with a faster jab with purpose.
Let's see what he looks like in his next outing. Hopefully it'll be against Molina again.

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post Mar 26 2012, 06:06 PM
Post #13

Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

Kirkland clearly was shut out by the better boxer of the two. I'm still appalled at the fact that the ref didn't deduct any points from Molina's sloppy clinches and illegal holding of Kirkland's arms while punching him. Molina even threw his whole body weight on Kirkland when Kirkland was pressing on the attack much better in the 9th and 10th rounds. It's safe to say James didn't smarten up about Molina's clinching until the end the of the 9th round and that really showed his intelligence. I mean the man is constantly smothering you whenever you try to throw punches and punches you almost every time you both break, yet you don't think to push him off you not until late in the fight. SMH! If they rematch I believe Kirkland will stop Molina next time around since he NOW knows that what Molina's game plan will be and all he has to do is pick where he left off in the 5th and 10th round. Just shove off Molina every time he tries to clinch and throw hooks to the body and head. The DQ was stupid and that ref should be suspended for that horrendous officiating. This is why boxing is getting a bad vibe from around the world and mainstream. Houston we have a problem indeed and it needs to be fixed NOW!

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 26 2012, 08:26 PM
Post #14

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

i was thoroughly impressed with molina. he used every trick in the book and basically shut out the one-dimensional kirkland. i think kirkland is who he is...and he may be able to make adjustments in a rematch but i won't be at all surprised if molina switches up the game plan and still manages to beat him. that guy has great understanding of boxing for someone with so little experience. he did hold here and there...but he was smothering for the most part. that is not illegal. it's part of the game and he used it strategically to his advantage. molina exposed several flaws in kirklands style. plenty of ppl will take advantage of those flaws in the future if they are smart enough to understand them. kirkland will be done shortly. molina still has a future.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 05:46 AM