IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Reliable Is BoxingScene.com?, Mayweather Plans On Fightin' 5 More Times, But...
BoxingFan86
post Mar 26 2012, 04:12 PM
Post #1

Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,445

As I was readin' an article on boxingscene.com (http://www.boxingscene.com/floyd-mayweather-jr-says-ill-fight-five-more-times--51067), I was stunned when I read a quote from Mayweather, which says... "Safe to say, probably -- this one [with Cotto], plus five more. And of course, I'm probably not looking to fight six strong champions," Mayweather told David Mayo of the Grand Rapids Press. "I'm a lot older now, you know what I'm saying?"

The bold part caught me off-guard. I understand Mayweather's all about self-preservation, but that quote just makes him seem like a cherry-picker. In other words, he gave all of his haters a lot of ammo to work with. With that bein' said, how reliable is boxingscene.com? Could that be a mis-quote?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Mar 26 2012, 04:37 PM
Post #2

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Mar 26 2012, 01:12 PM) *
As I was readin' an article on boxingscene.com (http://www.boxingscene.com/floyd-mayweather-jr-says-ill-fight-five-more-times--51067), I was stunned when I read a quote from Mayweather, which says... "Safe to say, probably -- this one [with Cotto], plus five more. And of course, I'm probably not looking to fight six strong champions," Mayweather told David Mayo of the Grand Rapids Press. "I'm a lot older now, you know what I'm saying?"

The bold part caught me off-guard. I understand Mayweather's all about self-preservation, but that quote just makes him seem like a cherry-picker. In other words, he gave all of his haters a lot of ammo to work with. With that bein' said, how reliable is boxingscene.com? Could that be a mis-quote?

I want to hear the interview. Could of been taken out of context. From what we know about Floyd, unless he plans on taking a pay cut, hes going to fight the top guys. We all know how Floyd likes to set PPV records and likes big garunteed purses. You cant make that kind of money fighting Joe Boxer.

This post has been edited by leonthegee: Mar 26 2012, 04:39 PM

+Quote Post
sduck
post Mar 26 2012, 05:18 PM
Post #3

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

I got to call bullshit on that. Definitely not something he would say. Check out this article for example http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/...mp_through.html

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 26 2012, 05:24 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

even though I think he is one, I doubt he said that in an interview

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Mar 26 2012, 06:05 PM
Post #5

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (sduck @ Mar 26 2012, 06:18 PM) *
I got to call bullshit on that. Definitely not something he would say. Check out this article for example http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/...mp_through.html

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) @ "My check looks like your Social Security number." Well, damn!

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 26 2012, 06:09 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Mar 27 2012, 12:05 AM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) @ "My check looks like your Social Security number." Well, damn!

i swear that writer is retarded, stating that Mayweather's next opponent maybe Martinez(which is fine) or Andre Ward...

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 26 2012, 07:50 PM
Post #7

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

Who knows...he could've possibly said it. I mean shit, he aired a sparring session for the whole world to see...something that he usually doesn't do.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Mar 26 2012, 07:52 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

Here's the interview. http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/...manny_pacq.html

This is basically a he said she said situation, but let's try to be objective.

There's a section where the writer starts talking about whether public perception has "tilted in his favor" which leads into the quote that B.S. pounced on. To be objective the quote is definitely from the David Mayo article, but to me it follows on from the discussion re. public perception and I think that it was taken out of context. Out of context bcause I think that Floyd was talking about public perception i.e. Mayweather cherry picks etc. so the haters will say "and of course I'm probably not looking..."
Not attacking the writer, but it was a pretty disjointed interview.

Anyway, b.s will run with it as will a lot of people, but actions speak louder than words and so far Mayweather's actions in the ring have spoken loudly enough.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Mar 26 2012, 09:45 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 06:08 PM