> Rev Dr. Michael E. Dyson Interviewing FW
Cshel86
post Mar 30 2012, 09:08 AM
Post #21

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

That interview was "irritatingly funny", at best! There are several questions in boxing that will NEVER be answered, and for the ones that we have been provided answers to, I still tend to scratch my head about them.

As for Mayweather, he's usually asked a question, but as we all see...he fails to answer them (by choice). The reason for that is, most of the time, his words end up getting twisted up and people will still hate for the "big fight" not happening, so why answer anything?

I agree, he doesn't make it easy on himslef, and the questions that he chooses not to answer, often times get answered for him. Those assumed answers are usually combined with people's personal feelings about him and again...him solely being blamed for the fight not happening.

As for his "megafight counterpart", when he's asked questions about anything, his team usually barges in and tries to answer it, so he wont blow it. Either that, or he says what his team tells him to say, which for the most part, is a long drawn out series of "Uhhhs" and "We want the fighhhts". Those answers are often taken as the gospel, for what reason? Who knows...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Mar 30 2012, 09:09 AM
Post #22

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Mar 30 2012, 08:52 AM) *
Michael Eric Dyson is intelligent, yet he made a remark years ago that inner city kids could learn more from Hip hop than they could the civil rights struggle??? I mean come on... as a holder of a Phd.... I found this to be intellectually baffling... and laughable.. He could not have meant that-- he must have been trying to gain followers and sell some books. Cornell West on the other hand has flip flopped from his post modernist and flight analysis diatribes to being respectable in his critiques of HUSSEIN OBAMA... He has let him have it and he and ME Dyson have been among the few Black people with the balls to call out OBAMA on his weak leadership.. ME Dyson more than likely will make it somewhat comfortable for Floyd... coming from Detroit Michigan and Floyd being loved in Detroit... I don't see him attacking or playing devils advocate that much... yet again HBO may have paid him to bring out his intellectual sword on Floyd.. we will see

Dr. Dyson in that quote about the inner city kids I had to really dissect and reconstruct the quote. What I came up with was: inner city youth have more in common with the hip hop era than they do the Civil Rights. I guess in the early stages of rap it was revolutionary music and protest music so I can see that angle I can also see how hip hop in the early years was like the civil rights. The content for which the talked about. The shit that is out now is pure garbage. It is a waste.

Dr. West I think lost himself. As far as the criticism of Obama I think people were expecting him to be their Moses. He has done some things that I really do not understand but what I can say about President Obama he is the first US president who told Israel to fall the hell back. Which is why a lot of Jews do not like him. I can give him that

As far as Dr. Dyson and Floyd, I really hope they focus more on the side that we do not get to see, the family side, being a father, his upbringing in Grand Rapids. His relationship with his father. What he plans on doing after he retires. What are his views on people's perception of him etc. If a Pacquiao questions does come up I really hope it is phrased this way "Why do you feel most of the boxing world and boxing fans think Manny Pacquiao is a better fighter than you? That is a question I would loved to be asked.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 30 2012, 09:25 AM
Post #23

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Mar 30 2012, 09:52 AM) *
Michael Eric Dyson is intelligent, yet he made a remark years ago that inner city kids could learn more from Hip hop than they could the civil rights struggle??? I mean come on... as a holder of a Phd.... I found this to be intellectually baffling... and laughable.

I don't see him attacking or playing devils advocate that much... yet again HBO may have paid him to bring out his intellectual sword on Floyd.. we will see

Good post, but I have to disagree with the first part. As baffling as it sounds (his statement), it's true. I mean seriously, who does most of today's youth follow and look at as Gods? Yep, you got it...rappers.

Hell, kids tune in like crazy when guys like T.I. (who cant get his life together worth damn), attempt to speak intelligently and "educate" today's youth, but the motherfucker cant stop doing what he's doing. He just uses intellect to cover up his BS, while finding new ways to do what he's telling others NOT to do.

I was listening to the radio a few years back after the Hip-Hop vs America aired, and there were actually idiots who called into the radio show and made statements like, "Rev. Al Sharpton needs to sit his behind down somewhere, he doesn't know what these artists have been through". Seriously bitch?

Other than that, I found it funny how HBO is actually airing this interview, rather than another network. So as you mentioned, Dyson may be getting paid to swing the intellectual sword at Floyd. I guess they think (and I hope this isn't true)," let's find a well-known African American activist of some sort who's from Floyd's background, and let's see if we can get questions answered".

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Mar 30 2012, 10:00 AM
Post #24

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

The statement that kids "can" learn more from hip hop than the civil rights struggle is false.. Hip Hop has nowhere near the historical lessons and wisdom of the civil rights struggle.. Picture Jews stating nonsense like this relative to their history and struggle!!! The truth is that these dumbed down motherfuckers would rather listen to rap filth than to learn from the civil rights struggle.. now that is an accurate analysis and statement...

This post has been edited by neophyte7: Mar 30 2012, 10:00 AM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 30 2012, 11:11 AM
Post #25

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Mar 30 2012, 11:00 AM) *
The statement that kids "can" learn more from hip hop than the civil rights struggle is false.. Hip Hop has nowhere near the historical lessons and wisdom of the civil rights struggle.. Picture Jews stating nonsense like this relative to their history and struggle!!! The truth is that these dumbed down motherfuckers would rather listen to rap filth than to learn from the civil rights struggle.. now that is an accurate analysis and statement...

I wholeheartedly agree (with the bold). I hope I didn't play into his theory about kids learning more from hip hop, than the civil rights struggle...but you pretty much summed up what I was stating.

Nowadays, a lot of these youngsters would much rather follow rap music and say that they learned x, y, and z, from some dim-witted rapper, because that person "knows their struggle". When it comes to the civil rights movement, most of these young retards cant recall most of the events. If so, it's usually some half-assed, lazy, rhetoric that they heard from someone else.

There are very few young people that actually know their history, and some of that is to be blamed on the school system (which has carried the blame long enough), but mostly, the media is to be blamed. When protests, conventions, and so forth, are being held for a cause, and yields participation from the younger generation, it gets overshadowed.

The bullshit that overshadows it, is usually some celebrity nonsense, and the insanely inflated utilization of social networks...which has played a tremendous part in the ever-growing retardation/dumbing down of what really matters. Those networks are used for great causes, but again, it gets overshadowed by nonsense.

With that said, it makes it THAT much harder for this generation to grasp history, and half of the time...current events that REALLY matters. Bullshit is the trend nowadays, so guys like Dyson and West are becoming more and more overlooked, and the front runners are retarded rappers (not all of them), and they usually get the final say. They can fuck up tremendously, THEN turn around and "do something for the community", and people instantly become sheep.

Mind you, there ARE some rappers/hip hop artists out there who DO carry themselves responsibly, and are useful to the community. Not every rapper is dumb and not to be followed, but there very few that walk a straight path and help the younger generation. I wish Dyson would link up with THOSE guys, more often. I will find some stuff to post in a few...

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Mar 30 2012, 12:03 PM
Post #26

Lightweight

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Mar 30 2012, 10:00 AM) *

If you listened to the music of the 60s and that time period is very strong and socially conscious. Rappers now with the exception of a few (Lupe, Common, Black Star etc.) are not socially conscious what so ever. As much shit is Kayne spouts off and that bore of a rapper Jay Z where are they with this Trayvon Martin case? Where is the rappers, the cats who say the hate the police and they are about they hood blah blah. They are quiet as a church mouse. Sinead O' Conner even spoke out. Prince wore a hoodie! Prince! There is this am station on in Atlanta that I listen to and they asked these kids who started the Million man March and this chic said "Martin Luther King!" So Dr. Dyson in that context is correct if these rappers actually become conscious then you will see a difference in our youth. But if and they will continue to talk about sex, drugs, recklessness, youth, and ignorance then this is the result.

Dr. Dyson like you say likes to ride the fence. He wants to connect to the youth as well as academia but again you shouldn't compromise not every will hear or understand your message. Educated fool is what he comes across sometimes but again I feel where he is coming from. How do you reach the youth?

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 30 2012, 11:11 AM) *
I wholeheartedly agree (with the bold). I hope I didn't play into his theory about kids learning more from hip hop, than the civil rights struggle...but you pretty much summed up what I was stating.

Nowadays, a lot of these youngsters would much rather follow rap music and say that they learned x, y, and z, from some dim-witted rapper, because that person "knows their struggle". When it comes to the civil rights movement, most of these young retards cant recall most of the events. If so, it's usually some half-assed, lazy, rhetoric that they heard from someone else.

There are very few young people that actually know their history, and some of that is to be blamed on the school system (which has carried the blame long enough), but mostly, the media is to be blamed. When protests, conventions, and so forth, are being held for a cause, and yields participation from the younger generation, it gets overshadowed.

The bullshit that overshadows it, is usually some celebrity nonsense, and the insanely inflated utilization of social networks...which has played a tremendous part in the ever-growing retardation/dumbing down of what really matters. Those networks are used for great causes, but again, it gets overshadowed by nonsense.

With that said, it makes it THAT much harder for this generation to grasp history, and half of the time...current events that REALLY matters. Bullshit is the trend nowadays, so guys like Dyson and West are becoming more and more overlooked, and the front runners are retarded rappers (not all of them), and they usually get the final say. They can fuck up tremendously, THEN turn around and "do something for the community", and people instantly become sheep.

Mind you, there ARE some rappers/hip hop artists out there who DO carry themselves responsibly, and are useful to the community. Not every rapper is dumb and not to be followed, but there very few that walk a straight path and help the younger generation. I wish Dyson would link up with THOSE guys, more often. I will find some stuff to post in a few...

They are hardly dumb what they are: opportunistic, sell outs, selfish, ignorant, snake oil salesmen, disgrace to their craft, followers, price tag artist! The shit that they spew is garbage! The only thing that takes to get a hit song and excuse my language are fucking some random person, popping bottles, making it rain, and talk about how the have paper. That is all they ever talk about and we wonder teen pregnancy is high.

I am off topic bottom line is, this interview will be fresh because this hasn't been done so hopefully Dr. Dyson will not disappoint neither will Floyd.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 30 2012, 12:12 PM
Post #27

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

the truth of the matter is that the civil rights movement paved the way for hip hop. we live in a time where the circumstances are dramatically different. i'm not all convinced that the civil rights movement was as great as some portray it to be. sure, many things have changed and paved the way for african americans to operate and function in an unsegregated society but that has happened at the cost of black business. before the civil rights movement, black folk had many businesses in their own communities. banks, insurance companies, stores...etc..etc. all black owned and operated. since then...black dollars have left black communities and have not found their way back. that to me is the travesty in it all. aside from that...there is no denying that the movement paved the way for hip hop. what is sickening to me is how plenty of rappers have had a voice and connection with the masses and have pissed it away because they didn't have the understanding or knowledge to lead the ppl.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Mar 30 2012, 03:44 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 30 2012, 01:34 PM
Post #28

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Mar 30 2012, 01:03 PM) *
As much shit is Kayne spouts off and that bore of a rapper Jay Z where are they with this Trayvon Martin case?

It's Kanye, and as far as that Martin case...let's PLEASE leave that out of this discussion. Im soooo tired of hearing about that mess, which has actually turned more into a trens...just as any other tragedy has in the past.

Dont expect EVERYBODY to speak out about it, though that should be the case. Guys like Kanye (who is quite intelligent by the way), will end up catching flack for speaking out about it. Imagine if Floyd spoke out about it...every little word that came out of his mouth would be twisted and blown out of proportion, due to his past interviews and such.

Again, JUST because celebrities aren't publicly speaking out about, that doesn't mean that they dont care. I would much rather leave it to the activist and use as little celebrities as possible. Dyson could a field day with this tragedy, but as far as he goes, let's hope that this Mayweather interview will be productive.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 30 2012, 01:12 PM) *
what is sickening to me is how plenty of rappers have had a voice and connection with the masses and have pissed it away because they didn't have the understanding or knowledge to lead the ppl.

And they call you daprofessor because? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I absolutely love this post man! The last sentence stuck out the most, though I agree with the rest. It's the person with the most power, who usually utilizes it in the worst manner.

That isn't always the case though. Some of these rappers have the most influence, but their actions nullify that shit as a whole. It's almost like giving a raging blind man a gun in a room full of people...and he's positioned right at the front door.

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Mar 30 2012, 02:40 PM
Post #29

Lightweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 30 2012, 01:34 PM) *
It's Kanye, and as far as that Martin case...let's PLEASE leave that out of this discussion. Im soooo tired of hearing about that mess, which has actually turned more into a trens...just as any other tragedy has in the past.

Dont expect EVERYBODY to speak out about it, though that should be the case. Guys like Kanye (who is quite intelligent by the way), will end up catching flack for speaking out about it. Imagine if Floyd spoke out about it...every little word that came out of his mouth would be twisted and blown out of proportion, due to his past interviews and such.

Again, JUST because celebrities aren't publicly speaking out about, that doesn't mean that they dont care. I would much rather leave it to the activist and use as little celebrities as possible. Dyson could a field day with this tragedy, but as far as he goes, let's hope that this Mayweather interview will be productive.

And they call you daprofessor because? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I absolutely love this post man! The last sentence stuck out the most, though I agree with the rest. It's the person with the most power, who usually utilizes it in the worst manner.

That isn't always the case though. Some of these rappers have the most influence, but their actions nullify that shit as a whole. It's almost like giving a raging blind man a gun in a room full of people...and he's positioned right at the front door.

Yo you realized you just back paddled from your above statement. That was my point, they have the largest voice and chose to do nothing with it. That is why I dig Ali, John Carlos and Tom Smith, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, AC Green, even Mike Tyson and a slue of others who were not afraid to speak out. They were not afraid of public criticism no matter how bad it was. And I can give a shit how to spell his name (that is no stab at you). And Floyd should speak out one should not be controlled by society and popularity. That is how people turn into robots and sheep. That is the problem people are afraid and too damn self conscious. Favorite NWA song FUCK THE POLICE! It was political in your face realness. I dare a "rapper" to spit something like that. The case of Trayvon Martin needs to be discussed not necessarily on this board but yeah that hit home.

The problem with rappers, rockers, and R&B it is not longer about art or creativity it is about how can I make a quick 100K. Think about it, what was the last album that made you think. My homegirl was like I don't listen to the lyrics I just like the beats. And there is the problem.

Your last comment will say this... why do we (society) give them that much power? Should someone like Lil Wayne really have a audience that actually follows him? I am not shitting on Lil Wayne but his whole style is chump. And the names of these rappers are even worse. It is a type of social engineering that has completely gotten out of control. It is a blind man like you said with a gun that is leading other blind people, it can not turn out well.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 30 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #30

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Mar 30 2012, 03:40 PM) *
Yo you realized you just back paddled from your above statement. That was my point, they have the largest voice and chose to do nothing with it. That is why I dig Ali, John Carlos and Tom Smith, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, AC Green, even Mike Tyson and a slue of others who were not afraid to speak out. They were not afraid of public criticism no matter how bad it was. And I can give a shit how to spell his name (that is no stab at you). And Floyd should speak out one should not be controlled by society and popularity. That is how people turn into robots and sheep. That is the problem people are afraid and too damn self conscious. Favorite NWA song FUCK THE POLICE! It was political in your face realness. I dare a "rapper" to spit something like that. The case of Trayvon Martin needs to be discussed not necessarily on this board but yeah that hit home.

I didn't backpedal ANYTHING...that post was intended for daprofessor, not to necessarily support your post. Im not against people speaking out about anything, but it's at the discretion of the ones who catch the most hell, to choose whether or not they're ready for a headache.

As we all know by now, we live in a society where people walk around with a hurt ass, and most are quick to result to legal action, at the moment that they're offended.

If this dude (Floyd) cant even speak his mind about an Asian basketball player, without the media crying with their thumb up their ass, then he has every right to decide whether or not he wants to deal with the headache from the media and the Martin case.

As far as Kanye (an intelligent and outspoken person), he also has the right to decide whether he wants to deal with the hurt ass of the media. Everyone has the right to their own level of peace, so him not speaking out about an injustice, or privately speaking on it (as he may have done), keeps him at peace, then good for him.

Now, let me get off of the Martin case, since it's clear that you have recall issues when I say "let's not discuss it" and you're pretty clever at getting what you want in discussions (even if you're willing to be verbally slaughtered on the forum to get it).

As far as the whole "being outspoken" and not caring about the repercussions, that's not always the best idea. Usually the people who take it and run with it, are the sheep, because they aimlessly commit acts based off of emotion and what somebody said. That "somebody" may not always be the person to pull from, THAT's why they tell people to know the law for THEMSELVES...ever heard of "different strokes for different folks"?

That whole NWA bullshit was cool for a second, but the fact that those guys in the group have grown up, have families, and become wiser about what they say and do is great. Problem is, there are still some sheep and robots who live by that whole "fuck the police" mentality, and the ones who lived by it at that present time, caused a big ruckus.

Another somewhat influential figure (2Pac) lived by that "fuck the police" mentality, and got sucked into the bullshit (joining a fuckin' gang late in life), ended up suffering the consequences. He had several sheep and robots...guess what they did when he died? There were crazy riots in Cali after he died, and didn't help the perception of black black people having some type of leader with a raw edge...it just backfired and further validated the assumed perception of all black people being wild and clueless.

Again, just because people aren't afraid to speak out without worrying about the consequences, doesn't always make it right...EVEN if it appears to make sense. I know that sounds crazy, but there's a way things need to be said, before they're projected, or else, those sheep and robots take it the wrong way and shit happens from there.

At one point, we had a bunch of clueless rebels (which is highly dangerous), walking around with the "fuck the police" attitude, living by it, killing each other in the process (which is STILL stupid), and using the "I'm black, I have no rights, and life unfair" mentality. How dangerous is that? Again, a group of people, "spoke out" with a "political in your face realness", and look what happened.

The fact that you're dumb enough to say that's your favorite song, is very telling, but yet, why am I not surprised? I almost forgot who I was talking. So at this point, YOU'RE the one that's talking in circles. First, you were all for justice this and justice that, and speaking out to get respect, THEN you totally killed your point by saying that dumb song was your favorite song...not actually sitting back realizing the shit that it's caused since then.

An African American should be extra careful about how they voice their opinions...especially in the media where several people will hear it and react, whether in their favor or against them. It's bad enough that they are looked at in an unfair manner to begin with, so being mindful doesn't make you a punk...you actually get more respect.

Being a loudmouth, uproar-starting, pain in the ass to get your point across...will do nothing more than validate the negative perspective that people already have about you...or they can simply identify to you as Allmenjoi.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 05:26 AM