> Rev Dr. Michael E. Dyson Interviewing FW
daprofessor
post Mar 30 2012, 03:43 PM
Post #31

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 30 2012, 02:34 PM) *
And they call you daprofessor because? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I absolutely love this post man! The last sentence stuck out the most, though I agree with the rest. It's the person with the most power, who usually utilizes it in the worst manner.

That isn't always the case though. Some of these rappers have the most influence, but their actions nullify that shit as a whole. It's almost like giving a raging blind man a gun in a room full of people...and he's positioned right at the front door.

thanks. i agree, but those ppl are put in that position by design. these guys do not become popular by accident. maybe in the beginning of hip hop...but they've learned to control and manipulate an artists rise to the top and they have that shit down to a science. i miss the days when we had groups like public enemy and xclan or artists like krs. now, we have cats like mos def or talib who sort of scratch the surface but come no where near where i thought this whole thing would be. i hardly listen to the radio. i have younger heads who tell me...'nah, ur just out of touch. this is the new shit.' but in all honesty...that is exactly what i feel it is...shit. they have no clue. they've missed the lessons. i try to help them understand...but it's an overwhelming task when i have to compete with it all. i pray for them. best advice i can give them....turn off ur tv's and radios and pick up a book. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

as for the notion that the younger generation is out of touch and fails to realize how important the civil rights movement was....i agree with that to a certain extent. but the thing that fails to be realized is that times have changed. hip hop has played a major roll in breaking down social barriers that existed prior. it's been hijacked though. it isn't what is was supposed to be. ppl have to improvise/adapt/overcome all obstacles placed in front of them. i think the travon martin case is fucked up. i also believe that we still have a long way to go when it comes to race relations. i know i'm going to piss ppl off by saying this....but i believe that is a distraction to much bigger issues. race is the distraction used to divide and conquer.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Mar 30 2012, 04:23 PM
Post #32

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 30 2012, 03:43 PM) *
thanks. i agree, but those ppl are put in that position by design. these guys do not become popular by accident. maybe in the beginning of hip hop...but they've learned to control and manipulate an artists rise to the top and they have that shit down to a science. i miss the days when we had groups like public enemy and xclan or artists like krs. now, we have cats like mos def or talib who sort of scratch the surface but come no where near where i thought this whole thing would be. i hardly listen to the radio. i have younger heads who tell me...'nah, ur just out of touch. this is the new shit.' but in all honesty...that is exactly what i feel it is...shit. they have no clue. they've missed the lessons. i try to help them understand...but it's an overwhelming task when i have to compete with it all. i pray for them. best advice i can give them....turn off ur tv's and radios and pick up a book. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

as for the notion that the younger generation is out of touch and fails to realize how important the civil rights movement was....i agree with that to a certain extent. but the thing that fails to be realized is that times have changed. hip hop has played a major roll in breaking down social barriers that existed prior. it's been hijacked though. it isn't what is was supposed to be. ppl have to improvise/adapt/overcome all obstacles placed in front of them. i think the travon martin case is fucked up. i also believe that we still have a long way to go when it comes to race relations. i know i'm going to piss ppl off by saying this....but i believe that is a distraction to much bigger issues. race is the distraction used to divide and conquer.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) Exactly! well written. Canadian artist and Cuban MCs spit that real.

The sad thing there is no such thing as "race." It is a term like you mentioned is designed to divide and conquer. Marx and Lenin always felt it is a war of the social classes which I fully agree with. Imagine if all the poor people and middle class people came together as one... there would be no Trayvon Martin and other fallen brothers and sisters. I feel that younger generation is looking for a purpose maybe this can be it.

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Mar 30 2012, 04:33 PM
Post #33

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 30 2012, 03:16 PM) *
I didn't backpedal ANYTHING...that post was intended for daprofessor, not to necessarily support your post. Im not against people speaking out about anything, but it's at the discretion of the ones who catch the most hell, to choose whether or not they're ready for a headache.

As we all know by now, we live in a society where people walk around with a hurt ass, and most are quick to result to legal action, at the moment that they're offended.

If this dude (Floyd) cant even speak his mind about an Asian basketball player, without the media crying with their thumb up their ass, then he has every right to decide whether or not he wants to deal with the headache from the media and the Martin case.

As far as Kanye (an intelligent and outspoken person), he also has the right to decide whether he wants to deal with the hurt ass of the media. Everyone has the right to their own level of peace, so him not speaking out about an injustice, or privately speaking on it (as he may have done), keeps him at peace, then good for him.

Now, let me get off of the Martin case, since it's clear that you have recall issues when I say "let's not discuss it" and you're pretty clever at getting what you want in discussions (even if you're willing to be verbally slaughtered on the forum to get it).

As far as the whole "being outspoken" and not caring about the repercussions, that's not always the best idea. Usually the people who take it and run with it, are the sheep, because they aimlessly commit acts based off of emotion and what somebody said. That "somebody" may not always be the person to pull from, THAT's why they tell people to know the law for THEMSELVES...ever heard of "different strokes for different folks"?

That whole NWA bullshit was cool for a second, but the fact that those guys in the group have grown up, have families, and become wiser about what they say and do is great. Problem is, there are still some sheep and robots who live by that whole "fuck the police" mentality, and the ones who lived by it at that present time, caused a big ruckus.

Another somewhat influential figure (2Pac) lived by that "fuck the police" mentality, and got sucked into the bullshit (joining a fuckin' gang late in life), ended up suffering the consequences. He had several sheep and robots...guess what they did when he died? There were crazy riots in Cali after he died, and didn't help the perception of black black people having some type of leader with a raw edge...it just backfired and further validated the assumed perception of all black people being wild and clueless.

Again, just because people aren't afraid to speak out without worrying about the consequences, doesn't always make it right...EVEN if it appears to make sense. I know that sounds crazy, but there's a way things need to be said, before they're projected, or else, those sheep and robots take it the wrong way and shit happens from there.

At one point, we had a bunch of clueless rebels (which is highly dangerous), walking around with the "fuck the police" attitude, living by it, killing each other in the process (which is STILL stupid), and using the "I'm black, I have no rights, and life unfair" mentality. How dangerous is that? Again, a group of people, "spoke out" with a "political in your face realness", and look what happened.

The fact that you're dumb enough to say that's your favorite song, is very telling, but yet, why am I not surprised? I almost forgot who I was talking. So at this point, YOU'RE the one that's talking in circles. First, you were all for justice this and justice that, and speaking out to get respect, THEN you totally killed your point by saying that dumb song was your favorite song...not actually sitting back realizing the shit that it's caused since then.

An African American should be extra careful about how they voice their opinions...especially in the media where several people will hear it and react, whether in their favor or against them. It's bad enough that they are looked at in an unfair manner to begin with, so being mindful doesn't make you a punk...you actually get more respect.

Being a loudmouth, uproar-starting, pain in the ass to get your point across...will do nothing more than validate the negative perspective that people already have about you...or they can simply identify to you as Allmenjoi.

Because someone says that people may not agree with should you refrain from talking and speaking your mind? If you answer yes to that then you should never post another comment on this board. If you answer yes then you are justified with your beliefs even if I disagree with you majority of the time, I respect your opinion to extent. The problem with most Black celebrities is they are afraid to speak. Tupac when he was younger or before death row was on it. The things that he said literally was truth. And his fuck the police was off of them fucking with his friends and being crooked. NWA came from the same space. As a people we are not to criticize society but each other. We are the only group of people that have to be critical of each other in public. I do not represent the black race so my words are mine, but if Mayweather says Jeremy Lin is hype because he is Asian what did ESPN and all the other networks do? They went to other black sports analysis to discredit his statement.

Kayne is nothing more than a pawn, because if he was that dude that he was on College dropout he would be in Florida, but he got comfortable and rich and why rock that comfortable lifestyle? James Baldwin's Price of the Ticket says it all. And why should we be extra careful to voice our opinion? Everyone else does, everyone else knows us better that we know ourselves and this is the problem. I say more athletes celebrities need to be socially conscious. This is why the civil rights movement was so powerful because the musicians took up the struggle! They made music dedicated that movement. James Brown "Say it loud, I am black and I am proud!" That is artistry and that is what is missing from this bullshit that is out now, is being apart of something bigger than they so yeah fuck Kayne and the rest of them for not speaking out.

But good points (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ok.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 30 2012, 05:11 PM
Post #34

Cruiserweight

anyone else notice floyd sporting the red black and green in select interviews? i think that's a statement. he isn't the type that can put things into words...so maybe he should do it that way?

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 30 2012, 05:23 PM
Post #35

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Mar 30 2012, 05:23 PM) *
Imagine if all the poor people and middle class people came together as one... there would be no Trayvon Martin and other fallen brothers and sisters. I feel that younger generation is looking for a purpose maybe this can be it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Are you this dumb every day?...or is it just a Monday, Wednesday, and Friday type deal? What "middle class" do you speak of? That's what made me laugh the most...plenty of activist (Dyson included) have made it clear that there really isn't a middle class. You're either rich or poor...and being poor can be sliced however you want to slice it, but at the end of the day, it is what it is.

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Mar 30 2012, 05:33 PM) *
Because someone says that people may not agree with should you refrain from talking and speaking your mind? If you answer yes to that then you should never post another comment on this board. If you answer yes then you are justified with your beliefs even if I disagree with you majority of the time, I respect your opinion to extent. The problem with most Black celebrities is they are afraid to speak. Tupac when he was younger or before death row was on it. The things that he said literally was truth. And his fuck the police was off of them fucking with his friends and being crooked. NWA came from the same space. As a people we are not to criticize society but each other. We are the only group of people that have to be critical of each other in public. I do not represent the black race so my words are mine, but if Mayweather says Jeremy Lin is hype because he is Asian what did ESPN and all the other networks do? They went to other black sports analysis to discredit his statement.

Kayne is nothing more than a pawn, because if he was that dude that he was on College dropout he would be in Florida, but he got comfortable and rich and why rock that comfortable lifestyle? James Baldwin's Price of the Ticket says it all. And why should we be extra careful to voice our opinion? Everyone else does, everyone else knows us better that we know ourselves and this is the problem. I say more athletes celebrities need to be socially conscious. This is why the civil rights movement was so powerful because the musicians took up the struggle! They made music dedicated that movement. James Brown "Say it loud, I am black and I am proud!" That is artistry and that is what is missing from this bullshit that is out now, is being apart of something bigger than they so yeah fuck Kayne and the rest of them for not speaking out.

But good points (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ok.gif)

Your idea of speaking out, truly troubles me. I said that African Americans should be more aware of how they relay messages, because as we all know, what "one" does or says, ends up forming a perception of how they "all" are...which is an unfair truth.

I NEVER said that just because someone may not agree with you, then you should never speak out...what are you reading? If anybody should be persecuted for their posts and perspectives, then it should've been you sweetheart...a looooong time ago.

Black celebrities AREN'T afraid to speak, they pick their words and tone carefully (and intelligently), because they are STILL suffering from the backlash of the previous idiot that deemed it okay to "speak out" in the media. Had the first person done it in an intelligent manner, then EVERYBODY wouldn't have to suffer the scrutiny of speaking out. Remember what I said about, what "one" does or says, leaves the remainder to be viewed under the same scope?

Its clear that you have some disdain towards Kanye West, and hopefully that's the reason that you can't stop spelling his name wrong. If you were smart, you would utilize the provided excuse, if not, then I will withhold my opinion about your repeated error. On that note, leave the man alone. For God's sake, stop being one of these butt-hurt people out here, when it comes to the Martin case.

Blame it on the others who have made it more a trend, and be happy that some celebrities aren't speaking out and ending making it more about them, than the actual case. Oh yeah...PLEASE stop talking about the Martin case...Im wondering why that isn't registering with you.

Let's just be glad that we still have guys like Cornell West, Jesse Jackson, Michael Dyson, Al Sharpton (just to name a few), rather than being butt-hurt about which celebrities dont speak up...stop being so emotional and attention-seeking. Just hope that we have a newer generation of the mentioned activists, and adapt to the things that simply wont change.

For God's sake, why should we (African Americans) be loud and belligerent as fuck(as you are suggesting, since 2Pac and NWA did it, and you loved it)...and expect some type of medium and most of all, respect? You're totally blowing this, if you think African Americans should speak out in this manner. The biggest fuckin' problem is, we hardly (if ever) stick together.

The other problem is, the clueless, loudmouth, nuttbrains (present company excluded), feel that we should be borderline belligerent, in order to be heard and respected. The funny thing is, I've asked you several times to stop talking about this case, but yet, you ignore me, continue to talk about it anyway, then wonder why you catch hell. Oops my bad, that's the point that you've been arguing the whole time...for black people to be ignorant, belligerent, and rebellious in order to get respect.

Again...I forgot who I was talking to...

+Quote Post
Sunni6Killer
post Mar 30 2012, 05:24 PM
Post #36

Flyweight

Member No.: 10,998

Dyson is an awful person.
Filthy rich, thanks to race hustling.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 30 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #37

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

while i listen to rappers, rockers etc etc and enjoy there music, I don't base my way of life around it, and never have I've been listening to 2pac, kanye, jayz, lupe, immortal technique, or bands like rise against, since i was 13, and I never once thought oh I've gotta do this cause they said so, the root of the problem isn't there influences, it's the parenting, yet everyone always seems to want to blame someone else.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 30 2012, 06:41 PM
Post #38

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 30 2012, 06:49 PM) *
while i listen to rappers, rockers etc etc and enjoy there music, I don't base my way of life around it, and never have I've been listening to 2pac, kanye, jayz, lupe, immortal technique, or bands like rise against, since i was 13, and I never once thought oh I've gotta do this cause they said so, the root of the problem isn't there influences, it's the parenting, yet everyone always seems to want to blame someone else.

I understand what you're saying, and at the end of the day (as you mentioned), parenting plays a big part in it. We were deep in this discussion, due to the heavy influence that rap and hip hop has on the community.

While discussing rap music, I was eventually going to tie it into Floyd's image (per say), since it's somewhat based off the hip hop industry and markets the hip hop industry. With that said, Im pretty sure Dyson is going to question Floyd's flashy image (to an extent), and the effect that it has on the black community as whole.

It's also sad that Dyson is relatively unknown by the younger generation, due to the heavy influence of the rap industry...I can no longer call it hip hop. That's where the big fuss about rappers and such came from.

Somebody (Allmenjoi) believes that African Americans should be loud, belligerent, and rebellious in order to get their point across and be respected when "speaking out"...which is totally dumb. I told her that African Americans have to be more mindful of how they publicly speak out due to the past and cultural stereotypes, but she believes the NWA "fuck the police" approach is amusing and acceptable...which again, is straight dumb.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 30 2012, 06:52 PM
Post #39

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 30 2012, 07:41 PM) *
I understand what you're saying, and at the end of the day (as you mentioned), parenting plays a big part in it. We were deep in this discussion, due to the heavy influence that rap and hip hop has on the community.

While discussing rap music, I was eventually going to tie it into Floyd's image (per say), since it's somewhat based off the hip hop industry and markets the hip hop industry. With that said, Im pretty sure Dyson is going to question Floyd's flashy image (to an extent), and the effect that it has on the black community as whole.

u think so? i think he took a page out of ali's book with the trash talk. i just think he has less wit and character than ali so it comes across in a much less entertaining light.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 30 2012, 06:53 PM
Post #40

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 31 2012, 12:41 AM) *
Somebody (Allmenjoi) believes that African Americans should be loud, belligerent, and rebellious in order to get their point across and be respected when "speaking out"...which is totally dumb. I told her that African Americans have to be more mindful of how they publicly speak out due to the past and cultural stereotypes, but she believes the NWA "fuck the police" approach is amusing and acceptable...which again, is straight dumb.

see I have quite a few black friends who fucking hate it when other black people act like that, because funnily enough they don't like that stereotype being attached to them.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 11:28 AM