IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> alex ariza article..., on the front page...
daprofessor
post Apr 6 2012, 12:52 PM
Post #11

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 5 2012, 10:47 PM) *
At that time...the 140 lb division was struggling....so a Bradley/Khan fight was the best thing to make in the division. I believe we were ALL ready to see those titles be unified, but hey, we're boxing fans...notoriously known for getting the short end of the stick.

Khan is very flawed, but I believe he would've edged Bradley. Im basing this off of his movement, and the significant height and reach advantages over Tim. No doubt, Tim is a pit bull and a bully, but Im not sure how he would've looked against Khan at the time.

Between the two of them...Khan had more to lose. He was being prepped for a Mayweather fight, and all Timmy had were two titles in the division. Im not downplaying Tim's championship status, but a big money fight usually surpasses titles. With that said, Khan would have fought that fight VERY carefully, which probably would've made for a boring fight.

i don't totally agree. u have to put this in perspective. at the beginning...bradley, alexander and maidana sat on top of the division. khan had just made his move to 140. bradley separated himself from the pack with his victory over alexander. make no mistake about it...alexander quit because he knew what was coming. khan fought maidana and that created more questions than answers. khan picking up his second strap from judah was about as impressive as bradley's victory over alexander...but i still felt bradley was at the head of the class. khan isn't much taller than alexander...and i'm not sure he's faster or slicker either. i don't believe bradley would have had any problems with khan. i think he would have picked up where maidana left off. he's a much more intelligent/aggressive fighter than maidana. i could see him breaking khan down and possibly stopping him.

khan having more to lose is not something i agree with either. khan had a loss on his ledger...and i never believed he was going to get the mayweather fight. bradley on the other hand is still undefeated....and has the 2nd biggest fight in boxing on his plate while khan has to avenge his second loss against a guy bradley thoroughly dominated when he handed him his first loss.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 6 2012, 02:03 PM
Post #12

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 6 2012, 01:52 PM) *
i don't totally agree. u have to put this in perspective. at the beginning...bradley, alexander and maidana sat on top of the division. khan had just made his move to 140. bradley separated himself from the pack with his victory over alexander. make no mistake about it...alexander quit because he knew what was coming. khan fought maidana and that created more questions than answers. khan picking up his second strap from judah was about as impressive as bradley's victory over alexander...but i still felt bradley was at the head of the class. khan isn't much taller than alexander...and i'm not sure he's faster or slicker either. i don't believe bradley would have had any problems with khan. i think he would have picked up where maidana left off. he's a much more intelligent/aggressive fighter than maidana. i could see him breaking khan down and possibly stopping him.

khan having more to lose is not something i agree with either. khan had a loss on his ledger...and i never believed he was going to get the mayweather fight. bradley on the other hand is still undefeated....and has the 2nd biggest fight in boxing on his plate while khan has to avenge his second loss against a guy bradley thoroughly dominated when he handed him his first loss.

Khan is 5'10 with a 24.5 inch arm length, and Bradley is 5'6 with a 22.5 inch arm length, so there's your answer. Devon is 5'8 with the same reach as Timmy. I know that you're Bradley fan, but try to make sense out of some of this. I usually agree with you, because history has shown me to, as a result of some of these bouts.

You're right, those 3 guys were at the top of the division, but Khan jumped into the talks quickly after he came to the states and stopped Paulie in 2010. By the end of that year, he fought and beat Maidana, which immediately put him in the top 3. You're right, there were more questions than answers in his fight with Maidana, but at then end of the day, he won the fight, and that's all that mattered in regards to people boosting his image.

I wont even go into the Alexander/Bradley fight, due to the "nothingness" that happened in that highly anticipated fight. That fight was screwed before the first bell rang, and neither of them did anything in that fight, that I would consider a measuring stick for bigger fight. Alexander simply couldn't or didn't pull the trigger, and Bradley was his usual headbutting, lunging, wide hook-swing self.

So again, that fight did nothing for either of them. Devon had a bad fight before and after the Bradley fight, so if anything, Bradley should have got him out of there. Oh my bad, Bradley isn't the biggest finisher himself, which was proven against an old ass, shot, Casamayor, which took him 8 rounds to do.

Point is, a Bradley/Khan fight would have been great, but between the two of them, Bradley had more doubts, regardless of his contractual issues. If a guy say, "What if I lose to Khan, then what? I will be out of the Mayweather/Pacquiao sweepstakes" (paraphrased). Doesn't really sound like a guy who knew he could beat Khan.

Khan is taller with the arm length advantage (as I stated earlier), and he moves waaaay more than anybody Bradley has faced. Khan is faster on his feet than Alexander, and I would say that his hands are a bit faster than Devon's, though Devon commits to his punches more. Khan had waaaay more to lose than Bradley.

I say that because, at the time...
1. Khan was being properly promoted, and was that much closer to a Mayweather fight (because of ODLH, Shaeffaer, etc)
2. He has a decent US fan base
3. He has a great fan base in the UK
4. He had collateral (UK PPV money to split)
5. He's more popular (thanks to Roach, Ariza, and Pacquiao)

All of these factors were good enough to land a Mayweather fight (or even a Pacquiao fight), until of course, this was before Khan ran into Lamont. Riddle me this, how many of these factors does Bradley have? I'll wait. So how could you say that Bradley had more to lose? This dude couldn't even sell tickets in his hometown, and all he had was 2 titles.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 6 2012, 04:34 PM
Post #13

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 6 2012, 03:03 PM) *
Khan is 5'10 with a 24.5 inch arm length, and Bradley is 5'6 with a 22.5 inch arm length, so there's your answer. Devon is 5'8 with the same reach as Timmy. I know that you're Bradley fan, but try to make sense out of some of this. I usually agree with you, because history has shown me to, as a result of some of these bouts.

You're right, those 3 guys were at the top of the division, but Khan jumped into the talks quickly after he came to the states and stopped Paulie in 2010. By the end of that year, he fought and beat Maidana, which immediately put him in the top 3. You're right, there were more questions than answers in his fight with Maidana, but at then end of the day, he won the fight, and that's all that mattered in regards to people boosting his image.

I wont even go into the Alexander/Bradley fight, due to the "nothingness" that happened in that highly anticipated fight. That fight was screwed before the first bell rang, and neither of them did anything in that fight, that I would consider a measuring stick for bigger fight. Alexander simply couldn't or didn't pull the trigger, and Bradley was his usual headbutting, lunging, wide hook-swing self.

So again, that fight did nothing for either of them. Devon had a bad fight before and after the Bradley fight, so if anything, Bradley should have got him out of there. Oh my bad, Bradley isn't the biggest finisher himself, which was proven against an old ass, shot, Casamayor, which took him 8 rounds to do.

Point is, a Bradley/Khan fight would have been great, but between the two of them, Bradley had more doubts, regardless of his contractual issues. If a guy say, "What if I lose to Khan, then what? I will be out of the Mayweather/Pacquiao sweepstakes" (paraphrased). Doesn't really sound like a guy who knew he could beat Khan.

Khan is taller with the arm length advantage (as I stated earlier), and he moves waaaay more than anybody Bradley has faced. Khan is faster on his feet than Alexander, and I would say that his hands are a bit faster than Devon's, though Devon commits to his punches more. Khan had waaaay more to lose than Bradley.

I say that because, at the time...
1. Khan was being properly promoted, and was that much closer to a Mayweather fight (because of ODLH, Shaeffaer, etc)
2. He has a decent US fan base
3. He has a great fan base in the UK
4. He had collateral (UK PPV money to split)
5. He's more popular (thanks to Roach, Ariza, and Pacquiao)

All of these factors were good enough to land a Mayweather fight (or even a Pacquiao fight), until of course, this was before Khan ran into Lamont. Riddle me this, how many of these factors does Bradley have? I'll wait. So how could you say that Bradley had more to lose? This dude couldn't even sell tickets in his hometown, and all he had was 2 titles.

all of this won't matter after bradley beats pac. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) bradley will look like a genius and khan will be an after thought.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 6 2012, 04:46 PM
Post #14

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 6 2012, 05:34 PM) *
all of this won't matter after bradley beats pac. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) bradley will look like a genius and khan will be an after thought.

Okay, so we agree that June 9th is Bradley's measuring stick. I haven't seen Bradley at his best since the Holt (in which he fought through it all) and Peterson fight. His last 3 fights (in my opinion), haven't convinced me much.

Im actually proud of him for landing the Pacquiao, but I hope he loses...in a good fashion that is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 6 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #15

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 6 2012, 05:46 PM) *
Okay, so we agree that June 9th is Bradley's measuring stick. I haven't seen Bradley at his best since the Holt (in which he fought through it all) and Peterson fight. His last 3 fights (in my opinion), haven't convinced me much.

Im actually proud of him for landing the Pacquiao, but I hope he loses...in a good fashion that is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

i think bradley is waaaay better than u give him credit for. i thought he did what he was supposed to against casamayor...a guy hardly anyone ever looks good against. his fight against an undefeated abregu was solid as well for his first fight at 147. he's not great in any one area...but he's solid all the way around. the weight drain game won't be played in this fight with pac....so we'll see what happens.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Apr 7 2012, 03:07 PM
Post #16

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Apr 5 2012, 05:43 AM) *
Real talk...

Also, there are a few other mitigating factors that Khan and his team love to not mention in regards to them calling out Timmy. We always hear about how Khan offered a 50/50 split of the UK revenue, which he didn't have to do etc... However, at that time, Khan had had a dispute with the ONLY UK PPV supplier (SKY) over that McCloskey fight he took. He wanted that to be on PPV, SKY refused due to the opponent (no one knew this dude and Khan had originally declared he was fighting Peterson) and offered him a spot on just regular SKY Sports which was obviously a lower pay packet. Khan balked at that offer and left SKY to go with this new Irish outfit Premier Sports. That is who he had a contract with at the time of him calling out Timmy. Now anyone with knowledge of the UK broadcaster scene will tell you that the Premier Sports money is NOTHING like that SKY Sports money. Basically Premier Sport were charging like 15 for a months subscription, Khan's deal meant that he only got revenue from the new subscriptions ordered in the week preceeding and night of his bout. Overall it is just WAAAAY less than Khan would make from a SKY Sports PPV event. So being willing to split that pissy amount of premier sports money he was getting should carry zero weight. Especially when you consider that at that time Timmy had a HBO contract guaranteeing him at least $1.2 mill (i think) for his next fight regardless of the opponent. Not to mention that he was clearly sorting out his contract issue with Shaw, who had apparently tried an "Arum extension" tactic on the Khan fight contract.

Khan is now back with SKY sports, I'm sure he wont offer that 50/50 UK revenue split now.

An alll this "grow some balls" talk needs to stop. When he signed to fight McCloskey, Prescott the guy that fully SPARKED Khan was begging for a rematch. That was a fight that SKY would have been prepared to put on PPV too. For some reason Khan and his team had NO intention of fighting the at the time still undefeated Colombian conqueror and went for the unknown MCloskey after Peterson refused Team Khan's original offer. Now he wants to start gassing about cojones growing?! Really hope Lamont stops him next time out, seriously...

Nice update, thanks. I knew about Sky not televising the Khan/McCloskey bout, but since I haven't been to the U.K in years, I wasn't aware of the details re. Premier Sports.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 8 2012, 10:26 AM
Post #17

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 6 2012, 06:16 PM) *
i think bradley is waaaay better than u give him credit for. i thought he did what he was supposed to against casamayor...a guy hardly anyone ever looks good against. his fight against an undefeated abregu was solid as well for his first fight at 147. he's not great in any one area...but he's solid all the way around. the weight drain game won't be played in this fight with pac....so we'll see what happens.

Personally, Im ready for June 9th. If he loses, I hope its in good fashion, so he can land some good fights afterwards. I still want to see him face Khan, Berto, and Ortiz. From the looks of it, he may end up facing Alexander again down the line.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 03:37 AM