post Apr 5 2012, 02:57 PM
Post #1

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,360

Is it true?
http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story...&type=story

for those that cant read spanish:
MEXICO - agreeing is coming and it's a fact: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has secured a fight against Argentina's Sergio Martinez Wonder on September 15 in Las Vegas, Nevada, for the World Middleweight Championship.

This was confirmed by Fernando Beltran, president Zanfer Promotions, which handles business in Mexico the son of legend Julio Cesar Chavez.

Beltran said that next week will come to an end the fight negotiations to be held in full national holiday in Mexico. He said the challenge raises a lot of expectation, after the statements that have poured both Chavez and Martinez, who have begun to heat up the confrontation.

"The WBC has been central to that commitment can be closed on 15," he added.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 5 2012, 04:57 PM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

some of my mexican homies have been telling me this since last week. i didn't see anything on it so i didn't believe it.

+Quote Post
bosco
post Apr 5 2012, 05:27 PM
Post #3

Flyweight

Member No.: 12,191

I thought Chavez is fighting Andy Lee on June 16th

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Apr 5 2012, 07:18 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

That would be great if it happens, but yeah, what about the Andy Lee match? I guess fighting in June and then again in September is possible, but that seems a bit close to me.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Apr 5 2012, 07:19 PM

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Apr 5 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #5

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

Unless Lee was given some step aside money, I doubt this fight will happen.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 5 2012, 10:03 PM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Chavez fighting in June and September is nothing new...in regards to him fighting so often. That's one thing I do like about Chavez and Alvarez...they fight pretty often.

If you remember, Chavez fought last June (2011), and was supposed to fight in September (against Hearns), though it fell through. Instead, he fought in late November, then fought again on Feb 4th. So no, these dates aren't close at all.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Apr 6 2012, 10:58 AM
Post #7

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

When you have over 40 fights and Andy Lee is a BIG step up in competition for you, that's pretty much the epitome of cherry picking. I don't blame Chavez Jr. I blame Arum. I think the Martinez/Chavez not happening is even more egregious than Mayweather vs Pacquiao. There's far less of a purse to argue about.

This post has been edited by Franchize: Apr 6 2012, 11:00 AM

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Apr 6 2012, 12:15 PM
Post #8

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 5 2012, 11:03 PM) *
Chavez fighting in June and September is nothing new...in regards to him fighting so often. That's one thing I do like about Chavez and Alvarez...they fight pretty often.

If you remember, Chavez fought last June (2011), and was supposed to fight in September (against Hearns), though it fell through. Instead, he fought in late November, then fought again on Feb 4th. So no, these dates aren't close at all.

The thing, is (if this is true)... They're already near the end of negotiations with Martinez, which means they're already overlookin' Lee. They should be more focused on handlin' the immediate task ahead of them, instead of securin' a fight with Martinez. What if Lee (somehow) wins? Then, what?

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 6 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 6 2012, 11:58 AM) *
When you have over 40 fights and Andy Lee is a BIG step up in competition for you, that's pretty much the epitome of cherry picking. I don't blame Chavez Jr. I blame Arum. I think the Martinez/Chavez not happening is even more egregious than Mayweather vs Pacquiao. There's far less of a purse to argue about.

Im pretty sure he has over 40 fights at this age, because

1) He didn't have an amateur career
2) He started fighting in Mexico, and we know that some of the great Mexican fighters have a slew of fights based in MX
3) Andy Lee is a step, and a good one. Reason is, we as boxing fans want fighters to fight the top guys in every one of their fights, and that simply doesn't happen. We as fans, should want fighters to clean out their divisions, rather than bouncing back and forth from division to division to satisfy our desires to see big fights.

If all of these fighters fought who we (as hardcore fans) wanted them to fight, then they would have peaked a long time ago. Needless to say, most of them would have been beaten a while ago, and all know how fighters can be nowadays...they lose a couple of fights, and they're already talking about retirement.

Of course that only happens if those fights that they lost, have either been in an extremely embarrassing fashion, or it bumped them out of the talks of bigger fights, which come with bigger paydays. Martinez/Chavez may not be a huge purse battle for Arum, but Chavez is one of his biggest stars right now.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 6 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #10

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Apr 6 2012, 01:15 PM) *
The thing, is (if this is true)... They're already near the end of negotiations with Martinez, which means they're already overlookin' Lee. They should be more focused on handlin' the immediate task ahead of them, instead of securin' a fight with Martinez. What if Lee (somehow) wins? Then, what?

Yeah, that sounds a bit odd...you may want to show me where that was published. From what I understand, the winner of this fight (Chavez/Lee), is supposed to face Martinez in September. As far as September goes, It looks as though they already have a date, now the network, and venue has to be set.

Im not sure they could immediately go into negotiations right now, for either of the two (Chavez or Lee). If Chavez's team is already near the end of the negotiations, then Lee's team would also be be near the end of their negotiations as well.

How would this sound?...Chavez is near the end of his negotiations for a Sept. bout with Martinez. Lee is near the end of his negotiations for a Sept. bout with Martinez. Both Lee and Chavez have signed for a June bout as an eliminator bout to see who faces Sergio Martinez in September. Sounds weird doesn't it?

Am I the only one who finds it weird that Chavez is the bigger draw of the 3, but he's facing Lee to see who fights Sergio in September. I know that Sergio just fought in March, but damn, for Chavez to be the bigger draw and have the lead promoter, this sounds odd. Shouldn't Julio/TR/whoever, have forced Sergio to fight Lee in June, with a signed deal for the winner to face him in September?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 07:12 AM