Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Good IS Robert Garcia???
Cshel86
post Apr 15 2012, 10:26 AM
Post #1

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

As for Robert Garcia...Im still hard pressed to understand why anyone considers him a great trainer. I honestly believe that he's a poor's man Freddie Roach.

1. Margarito sucks from a technical standpoint, and all he knows how to do is take punishment (in a good fashion), and go balls to wall in every fight.

2. Rios made it painfully obvious last night, that he doesn't know how to make adjustments. I mean, he dug a deeper hole for himself as the rounds passed. I laughed at him from the couch, and Abril laughed at him in the ring.

3. Donaire is just athletic as hell and has great power, but boxing wise...Vasquez made him look like a bit "amateurish" at certain points of the fight. Donaire struggles with making adjustments, and is often a victim of eating jabs, and cutting off the ring from time to time. I dont see the chemistry between him and Robert, but he does make Robert look good when he wins in an impressive fashion.

4. Pavlik...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Im still laughing at this, somebody help me stop. Please...

5. Maidana...*sigh* Seriously?

6. Mikey Garcia - This has to be Robert's best fighter to date. He's disciplined when it comes to sticking to the game plan. They better take their time with him, because the rest of the fighters are already on the downside (aside from Donaire).

I've been feeling this way for a while, not just after last night. Does anybody see his instructions between rounds effective? How good is he, really?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sduck
post Apr 15 2012, 01:21 PM
Post #2

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,788

Well... Some of his fighters lack any sort of technique, Margarito, Maidana, Rios. The most technically skilled fighter I would say Pavlik, but the best overall would be Mikey Garcia due to his focus and patience. The main thing Robert Garcia's fighters lack is defense. Pavlik, Garcia, and Donaire are aggressive counter-punchers who do naturally block punches with their gloves, but still get hit a lot, with the footwork and head movement not being there.

You know the trainer is one thing, but the true will comes from the fighter. If you pay attention to Rios' fight last night, Robert was trying to tell him to do something different, but Rios wouldn't listen. The problem with Freddie Roach is that all his fighters I've seen pretty much fight the same, and he doesn't give them adjustment advice, he tries to make them work with whatever gameplan they already established.

This post has been edited by sduck: Apr 15 2012, 01:22 PM

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Apr 15 2012, 02:16 PM
Post #3

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

I honestly feel that Garcia is simply a productof his fighters' popularity. Maidana, Rios, Donaire and maybe in the future Mikey Garcia, they all have crowd pleasing stars for the fans. But the issue is being camouflaged by the fact that Garcia himself is not a trainer who can recognize and neutralize the opponents strategy by making in-fight adjustments. His fighters have different things that set them apart from each other but they all lack defense and that's a problem

Once his fighters start getting tagged, neither he nor they know what to do. They just plow ahead and hope for the best possible outcome. Donaire is a beast but Vazquez kind of exposed him to a certain degree. And his power has not transcended with him to the other weight classes. Of this keeps up and Donaire doesn't make some considerable strides, then he will be another Rios in a smaller division. I personally would never allow my fighter to train with Garcia of I was a manager or promoter. He says what people wants to hear, how many times did we here that Margarito's eye was ok leading up to the Cotto rematch? That thing lasted a round in a half. Then what about Rios' stellar conditioning program and he still couldn't make weight. He's dangerously full of shit and allows his fighter to take beatings like he did when he let Marbarito get pummeled by Pacquio

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Apr 15 2012, 03:17 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (sduck @ Apr 15 2012, 02:21 PM) *
Well... Some of his fighters lack any sort of technique, Margarito, Maidana, Rios. The most technically skilled fighter I would say Pavlik, but the best overall would be Mikey Garcia due to his focus and patience. The main thing Robert Garcia's fighters lack is defense. Pavlik, Garcia, and Donaire are aggressive counter-punchers who do naturally block punches with their gloves, but still get hit a lot, with the footwork and head movement not being there.

You know the trainer is one thing, but the true will comes from the fighter. If you pay attention to Rios' fight last night, Robert was trying to tell him to do something different, but Rios wouldn't listen. The problem with Freddie Roach is that all his fighters I've seen pretty much fight the same, and he doesn't give them adjustment advice, he tries to make them work with whatever gameplan they already established.

Agreed. R. Garcia was even showing that numbskull Rios how to f'ing bob and weave after one of the rounds.

As far as Pavlik and some of Garcia's other boxers (not including Margarito), were they always trained by him? I have to look into it some more, but my initial thoughts are that R. Garcia is a good trainer. As far as the lack of d, I'll have to look at who has always been in his camp to see if it's endemic to his training style and not the styles of the fighters themselves.
I fault Rios for yesterday and not Garcia, but whatever, Rios got paid and he'll get paid again. All praise be unto the Holy Top Rank.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Apr 16 2012, 12:19 AM

+Quote Post
pimpfighterROQ
post Apr 15 2012, 06:54 PM
Post #5

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,368

Most trainers knows what to do and what to adjust mid-fight. However like an untrained dog, one doesn't know how to beg or play dead when he only knows how to sit and bark.

Rios failed to adjust to Abril last night. He should've threw overhand rights like what Maidana does against Khan. Garcia needs to discipline all his fighters to perform a certain way and to implement various gameplans. I mean seriously, not making weight for the 2nd time? I don't care if he's been a lightweight for 8 years, look at fucking JMM. Rios lacks discipline, intelligence and ability to adjust his come forward style. Another Margarito in the making...

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Apr 15 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

A lot of fights have no defence and what pisses me off is that they use head movement when the opponent isn't punching them not when the punch is coming towards them.I think the ability to slip well seems almost lost in a lot of fighters

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Apr 15 2012, 08:16 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

I think both Garcia brothers are good not great trainers. They seem to be knowledgeable but other than mikey I think they have a nak for hard headed stubborn fighters with limited focus.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Apr 16 2012, 10:58 AM
Post #8

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

Overrated trainer. Underrated fighter!

+Quote Post
Sunni6Killer
post Apr 16 2012, 12:53 PM
Post #9

Flyweight

Member No.: 10,998

Very good.

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Apr 16 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #10

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 15 2012, 11:26 AM) *
As for Robert Garcia...Im still hard pressed to understand why anyone considers him a great trainer. I honestly believe that he's a poor's man Freddie Roach.

1. Margarito sucks from a technical standpoint, and all he knows how to do is take punishment (in a good fashion), and go balls to wall in every fight.

2. Rios made it painfully obvious last night, that he doesn't know how to make adjustments. I mean, he dug a deeper hole for himself as the rounds passed. I laughed at him from the couch, and Abril laughed at him in the ring.

3. Donaire is just athletic as hell and has great power, but boxing wise...Vasquez made him look like a bit "amateurish" at certain points of the fight. Donaire struggles with making adjustments, and is often a victim of eating jabs, and cutting off the ring from time to time. I dont see the chemistry between him and Robert, but he does make Robert look good when he wins in an impressive fashion.

4. Pavlik...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Im still laughing at this, somebody help me stop. Please...

5. Maidana...*sigh* Seriously?

6. Mikey Garcia - This has to be Robert's best fighter to date. He's disciplined when it comes to sticking to the game plan. They better take their time with him, because the rest of the fighters are already on the downside (aside from Donaire).

I've been feeling this way for a while, not just after last night. Does anybody see his instructions between rounds effective? How good is he, really?

1. With the exception of Mikey Garcia, a lot of Robert's fighters are like that, but that's just their style of fightin'. They look decent against other brawlers, but when they're in the ring with real boxers, the boxer always make the brawler look amateur-ish.

2. This proves the point I made on #1.

3. Again, this proves the point I made on #1.

4. As far as Pavlik goes, I saw some improvement in his left hand once he started trainin' with Robert. There's not much I can do to discredit Robert for Pavlik's improvement in that sense. I was impressed.

5. What's the problem? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

6. +1

Robert is decent as a trainer, but he's still a work in progress. I think a lot of people give him respect and props based on his personality. Dude seems like he is 1 of the most humble beings 1 could ever meet. He's humble, plus he doesn't show bias when it comes to his own stable of fighters. Personally, I like the dude as a person and as a trainer. He's still a work in progress, but I think he could be 1 of the top dogs in trainin' soon.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 06:50 AM