> How Good IS Robert Garcia???
Cshel86
post Apr 16 2012, 04:29 PM
Post #11

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Apr 16 2012, 05:06 PM) *
Robert is decent as a trainer, but he's still a work in progress. I think a lot of people give him respect and props based on his personality. Dude seems like he is 1 of the most humble beings 1 could ever meet. He's humble, plus he doesn't show bias when it comes to his own stable of fighters. Personally, I like the dude as a person and as a trainer. He's still a work in progress, but I think he could be 1 of the top dogs in trainin' soon.

I agree man. Robert is a good guy, and I could never take that away from him. He has some exciting fighters who seemed to have been established in their own way, before training with him (except for Mikey and Rios I believe).

Most of them lack defense (which most of you have mentioned), and it makes him look bad when things go sour. He was giving Brandon some decent instructions last weekend, but he pretty much ignored it. The problem with Robert that night is, he didn't show any type of urgency until the championship rounds...hell, it could've just been before the final round.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MaxPayne
post Apr 16 2012, 08:47 PM
Post #12

Featherweight

Member No.: 13,282

Robert Garcia gets a lot of hype because he's being targeted by Top Rank to train their cream of the crop fighters. They clearly believe that Freddie Roach doesn't have too much time left in the sport, and they want Garcia to be that guy, who is able to train fighters to be exciting and also provide good sound bytes for hyping up fights.

As a trainer, I really don't see him as anything special. He and Roach have one important thing in common: their fighters seem to do well against a certain type of flat footed opponent who is willing to stand and trade. It's hard for their fighters to look good against people who can, you know, BOX ?

In terms of being a pure teacher and being able to game plan, I don't see Garcia being on the same level as guys like Brother Naazim, Eddie Mustafa or even someone like Teddy Atlas.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 16 2012, 09:31 PM
Post #13

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Apr 16 2012, 09:47 PM) *
As a trainer, I really don't see him as anything special. He and Roach have one important thing in common: their fighters seem to do well against a certain type of flat footed opponent who is willing to stand and trade. It's hard for their fighters to look good against people who can, you know, BOX ?

This pretty much explains it all. We've seen how both their fighters fair against somebody who is willing to systematically engage and control fights, rather than going balls to wall.

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 17 2012, 08:11 AM
Post #14

Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,865

Garcia is as bad as Buddy MgGirt, the two most overrated trainers in boxing. Except Garcia has a better winning record.
He almost had MArgarito killed against Pacman, the guy is retarted no doubt. They won;t find Rigo, Donaire and him.They won;t be able to game plan for Rigo, they can't game plan for anybody but a brawler and a scared fighter. So I agree he is a poor man Freddie's Roach except that his fighters fight better on the inside and that's not thanks to him but their talent and chins and Roach's fighters fight better on the outside again no thanks to him. Forget about Chavez, Roach doesn't even train him much.

I still think Buddy is the worst ever though. His rocord is abysmal.

I am still mad about the fight where Brewster fought Sergheir and had his retina detached, yet McGirt let him continue for all 12 rounds. Then he stops the fight against Martinex, talk about double incompetent standard.
And how about telling Tarver, just to not take punishment against Bernard so he doesn't get hurt but when Brewster had his eye messed up he is asking him to goo for the kill and Brewster got beat up bad. Buddy and Garcia take the cake.

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 17 2012, 08:21 AM
Post #15

Bantamweight

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Apr 16 2012, 04:06 PM) *
Dude seems like he is 1 of the most humble beings 1 could ever meet. He's humble, plus he doesn't show bias when it comes to his own stable of fighters. Personally, I like the dude as a person and as a trainer. He's still a work in progress, but I think he could be 1 of the top dogs in trainin' soon.

Garcia is fake, he acts humble for the cameras, he is a snake. Pay close attention to his body language, his interviews, his 24/7. He is mean and stupid but he presents himself as better and good for him cause some folks are buying it so he knows how to hustle. He is as humble and nice as Manny Pacquiao lol

This post has been edited by pesticid: Apr 17 2012, 08:22 AM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 17 2012, 09:25 AM
Post #16

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

God Pesticid...for you to bring up Buddy McGirt, truly brings up the idea of opening another thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Damn McGirt sucks, and his fighters' performances tells the story. As for Garcia, I still believe he is a humble guy, and notice that he says the right things AFTER he gets his paycheck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Before the fight, he puts his fighter out there as a game fighter, and somebody who is able to take punishment and give it out...it makes his stable of fighters seem invincible in a sense.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 17 2012, 05:39 PM
Post #17

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 15 2012, 11:26 AM) *
As for Robert Garcia...Im still hard pressed to understand why anyone considers him a great trainer. I honestly believe that he's a poor's man Freddie Roach.

1. Margarito sucks from a technical standpoint, and all he knows how to do is take punishment (in a good fashion), and go balls to wall in every fight.

2. Rios made it painfully obvious last night, that he doesn't know how to make adjustments. I mean, he dug a deeper hole for himself as the rounds passed. I laughed at him from the couch, and Abril laughed at him in the ring.

3. Donaire is just athletic as hell and has great power, but boxing wise...Vasquez made him look like a bit "amateurish" at certain points of the fight. Donaire struggles with making adjustments, and is often a victim of eating jabs, and cutting off the ring from time to time. I dont see the chemistry between him and Robert, but he does make Robert look good when he wins in an impressive fashion.

4. Pavlik...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Im still laughing at this, somebody help me stop. Please...

5. Maidana...*sigh* Seriously?

6. Mikey Garcia - This has to be Robert's best fighter to date. He's disciplined when it comes to sticking to the game plan. They better take their time with him, because the rest of the fighters are already on the downside (aside from Donaire).

I've been feeling this way for a while, not just after last night. Does anybody see his instructions between rounds effective? How good is he, really?

1. margarito is what he is...all robert could do was get him in shape. he's not changing.

2. rios was developed as an amateur in kc had well over 100 fights before garcia started working with him. i think he was pretty much developed and there's not much he can change about him.

3. donaire...again...another fighter developed elsewhere who isn't going to learn much from robert...but he can get in decent shape.

4. pavlik...i actually believe robert can teach him somethings and maybe get him back to his aggressive style with a few new wrinkles to his game.

5. maidana....set in his ways...not changing.

6. mikey garcia....i believe the guy responsible for developing mikey is actually eduardo garcia...the kids pops...and i think robert takes the reigns for the fight only. i could be wrong...but i believe that's what happens. the kid is solid and is definitely a product of that family.

+Quote Post
Zaryu
post Apr 18 2012, 08:00 AM
Post #18

Amateur

Member No.: 13,618

I think he's a good trainer. Overrated because of a good winning streak his fighters had at a certain moment, and now catching some heat when the streak is not so good on his side. In both cases he has fallen victim to being judged as a trainer by his fighters performances alone and not necessarily with what he actually brought to the table. At first he was given too much credit (imo), and now he's been criticized a bit too much. I'm not sure Maidana is a valid argument here as we haven't seen the fruit of their work together yet, but with Margarito and Pavlik I've seen some improvement. I thought Margarito fought a good fight against Pacquiao (as good as he could possibly fight), I think Margo really hurt Manny too. The problem here was not stopping the fight. But that could have cost him his relationship with Margarito, which of course translates to money.

With Pavlik I actually saw improvements also. He placed his shots well, and as soon as Jaco attempted an attack I noticed Kelly moving his head and continued setting up his punches. Even if Pavlik loses down the road, we need to see his perfomance and compare it to how he looked before joining Garcia, and what advise he gave the fighter.Then we can judge him better. Considering it all I think he's a good trainer, probably one of the better trainers out there, but not a must to great trainer that everyone should seek out. He'll do good with certain fighters, but I don't think he's the type of trainer that will improve everyone or create great strategies for the biggest fights.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 18 2012, 02:09 PM
Post #19

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Zaryu @ Apr 18 2012, 09:00 AM) *
I think he's a good trainer. Overrated because of a good winning streak his fighters had at a certain moment, and now catching some heat when the streak is not so good on his side. In both cases he has fallen victim to being judged as a trainer by his fighters performances alone and not necessarily with what he actually brought to the table. At first he was given too much credit (imo), and now he's been criticized a bit too much. I'm not sure Maidana is a valid argument here as we haven't seen the fruit of their work together yet, but with Margarito and Pavlik I've seen some improvement. I thought Margarito fought a good fight against Pacquiao (as good as he could possibly fight), I think Margo really hurt Manny too. The problem here was not stopping the fight. But that could have cost him his relationship with Margarito, which of course translates to money.

With Pavlik I actually saw improvements also. He placed his shots well, and as soon as Jaco attempted an attack I noticed Kelly moving his head and continued setting up his punches. Even if Pavlik loses down the road, we need to see his perfomance and compare it to how he looked before joining Garcia, and what advise he gave the fighter.Then we can judge him better. Considering it all I think he's a good trainer, probably one of the better trainers out there, but not a must to great trainer that everyone should seek out. He'll do good with certain fighters, but I don't think he's the type of trainer that will improve everyone or create great strategies for the biggest fights.

i noticed that in pavliks last fight with lowe. i thought he actually made some improvements then.

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 18 2012, 02:20 PM
Post #20

Bantamweight

QUOTE (Zaryu @ Apr 18 2012, 09:00 AM) *

Garcia is lucky that his fighters have a lot of heart. So is Roach.
E Steward has been stuck with some fighters with little heart such as Wlad so his work with him is impressive. He was stuck with Cintron who doesn't have any and he looked bad with him I guess. He was with Cotto for a bit but Cotto dropped him because Manny didn't believe in his skills in facing Margarito and Floyd so he chose the Cuban because he believes in him. I would've done the same thing. But back to Garcia, he isn't special, he isn't good, he can hold the mitts and tell you what to do. We'll see how Mickey does but I think if they serve him to Broner or Salido or Gamboa he will sink. Margartio looked sloppier with Garcia in his corner, in the Pacquiao fight I saw no defense whatsoever and I don't like Diaz cause he's fake with goodie two shoes image.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 03:04 AM