> How Good IS Robert Garcia???
BoxingFan86
post Apr 18 2012, 02:43 PM
Post #21

Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (Zaryu @ Apr 18 2012, 09:00 AM) *
I think he's a good trainer. Overrated because of a good winning streak his fighters had at a certain moment, and now catching some heat when the streak is not so good on his side. In both cases he has fallen victim to being judged as a trainer by his fighters performances alone and not necessarily with what he actually brought to the table. At first he was given too much credit (imo), and now he's been criticized a bit too much. I'm not sure Maidana is a valid argument here as we haven't seen the fruit of their work together yet, but with Margarito and Pavlik I've seen some improvement. I thought Margarito fought a good fight against Pacquiao (as good as he could possibly fight), I think Margo really hurt Manny too. The problem here was not stopping the fight. But that could have cost him his relationship with Margarito, which of course translates to money.

With Pavlik I actually saw improvements also. He placed his shots well, and as soon as Jaco attempted an attack I noticed Kelly moving his head and continued setting up his punches. Even if Pavlik loses down the road, we need to see his perfomance and compare it to how he looked before joining Garcia, and what advise he gave the fighter.Then we can judge him better. Considering it all I think he's a good trainer, probably one of the better trainers out there, but not a must to great trainer that everyone should seek out. He'll do good with certain fighters, but I don't think he's the type of trainer that will improve everyone or create great strategies for the biggest fights.

+1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zaryu
post Apr 19 2012, 04:19 PM
Post #22

Amateur

Member No.: 13,618

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 18 2012, 03:09 PM) *
i noticed that in pavliks last fight with lowe. i thought he actually made some improvements then.

He looked much better to me with Garcia than in his last fight with Lowe. I guess we'll just need to keep looking out for him on his next few fights against better oppisition.

+Quote Post
Zaryu
post Apr 19 2012, 04:29 PM
Post #23

Amateur

Member No.: 13,618

QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 18 2012, 03:20 PM) *
Garcia is lucky that his fighters have a lot of heart. So is Roach.
E Steward has been stuck with some fighters with little heart such as Wlad so his work with him is impressive. He was stuck with Cintron who doesn't have any and he looked bad with him I guess. He was with Cotto for a bit but Cotto dropped him because Manny didn't believe in his skills in facing Margarito and Floyd so he chose the Cuban because he believes in him. I would've done the same thing. But back to Garcia, he isn't special, he isn't good, he can hold the mitts and tell you what to do. We'll see how Mickey does but I think if they serve him to Broner or Salido or Gamboa he will sink. Margartio looked sloppier with Garcia in his corner, in the Pacquiao fight I saw no defense whatsoever and I don't like Diaz cause he's fake with goodie two shoes image.

I think in the Pacquiao fight the only mistake was not stopping the fight. Margarito's defense was never going to be good enough to make Pacquiao miss and make him pay. The startegy (and I believe his only viable option at winning) was to punch with Pacquiao, impose his size and hurt him. Unfortunately for Margarito he didn't get the win and that fight alsmot cost him the rest of his career. But he still managed to hurt Pacquiao in the fight and come close to putting him down.

Interesting things you mentioned about Cotto's decision to leave Steward, it had crossed my mind but, I hadn't really heard it before.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 24 2012, 01:15 PM
Post #24

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Zaryu @ Apr 19 2012, 05:19 PM) *
He looked much better to me with Garcia than in his last fight with Lowe. I guess we'll just need to keep looking out for him on his next few fights against better oppisition.

i didn't see his last fight. i'll have to check for it on youtube.

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Apr 24 2012, 01:42 PM
Post #25

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 24 2012, 02:15 PM) *
i didn't see his last fight. i'll have to check for it on youtube.

Here is Pavlik talkin' 'bout how he won that fight with his left hand (that Garcia improved)...

This post has been edited by BoxingFan86: Apr 24 2012, 01:53 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 04:05 AM