IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Comments Thread for Mayweather/Cotto 24/7 (Ep. 1-4)
Cshel86
post Apr 19 2012, 11:56 AM
Post #31

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Apr 19 2012, 12:46 PM) *
That's correct. Floyd weighed in at 150 lbs. for the De La Hoya fight.

Cotto is definitely the larger fighter at this point in time, even without rehydration.

Having said that, I think people are going to find out that the 5 inch reach and speed advantage that Floyd has is going to be a motherfucker in this fight.

Yep! Fuck that!...Im going for Cotto in this one...just off of the "1 punch can change a fight" and the element of surprise. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) NOBODY's giving Cotto a chance, and some are going with the safe answer of Cotto doing good in the first 3 or 4 rounds.

As a paying customer, I just want to believe that some shit will happen! Maybe the booze and herb will help me along the way though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Really though, Im hearing people say that Floyd is going to give Cotto the "Gatti treatment" and so forth....PLEASE! I doubt it.

Fact is, Mayweather does get hit, and all it takes is one punch. Am I hoping for him to lose? No. Am I expecting Cotto to just go in there, get jabbed once, go down, and not make the 10 count? Nope. Are people making it sound that way? Yep! Why? I have no idea.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sduck
post Apr 19 2012, 11:57 AM
Post #32

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,788

The only thing Cotto has going for him is skill...somewhat. He's decent at boxing, and is a solid counter-puncher. It's just his lack of speed, no footwork, no head movement. Someone like Marquez is very slow, but he has the footwork and timing to back up his speed. Cotto doesn't. He'll hit standstill targets at will, but people with movement (see Pacquiao) are typically able to pick him apart, because Cotto's counter game won't work for him. If Cotto tries to box with Floyd, he's going to get picked apart like Marquez. Cotto's best chance is to try to bully Floyd, pressure, go to the body, like he used to do. Now he likes to box and headhunt. That's not a solid plan against Floyd, especially when you're slow and get hit so easily. The only thing Cotto has for himself defensively is that he likes to keep his hands up in front of his face, which would make it difficult for Floyd to consistently land the jab... Other than that it's more-likely a solid victory for Floyd. I know people ALWAYS like to bring up "Puncher's Chance" everyone has that. But Cotto is slow, not the hardest puncher around, easily hittable. I'm not saying it's going to be an easy fight, but it's a definite win for Floyd. And based upon Floyd's attitude like in 24/7... I'm starting to think HE thinks it'll be an easy fight. He probably wants a more impressive performance than that what Pacquiao did, even though of course he won't come out and say it. He wants the smaller gloves because he wants a quicker knockout.

Also, the most we know Floyd has weighed is 150. He's been weighing that in all his recent fights that we know of like with Ortiz. I doubt he's going to literally try to make the 154 limit. He'll be comfortable at that weight, just like Cotto will be.

This post has been edited by sduck: Apr 19 2012, 11:58 AM

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Apr 19 2012, 03:41 PM
Post #33

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 19 2012, 11:56 AM) *
Yep! Fuck that!...Im going for Cotto in this one...just off of the "1 punch can change a fight" and the element of surprise. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) NOBODY's giving Cotto a chance, and some are going with the safe answer of Cotto doing good in the first 3 or 4 rounds.

As a paying customer, I just want to believe that some shit will happen! Maybe the booze and herb will help me along the way though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Really though, Im hearing people say that Floyd is going to give Cotto the "Gatti treatment" and so forth....PLEASE! I doubt it.

Fact is, Mayweather does get hit, and all it takes is one punch. Am I hoping for him to lose? No. Am I expecting Cotto to just go in there, get jabbed once, go down, and not make the 10 count? Nope. Are people making it sound that way? Yep! Why? I have no idea.

lmao i been hearing that everywhere.

im like floyd was in his prime in 05, he is past his prime now.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 19 2012, 03:52 PM
Post #34

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Apr 19 2012, 04:41 PM) *
lmao i been hearing that everywhere.

im like floyd was in his prime in 05, he is past his prime now.

It could very well happen, but folks should show Cotto a bit more respect than that, seriously. I agree that he was in his prime in '05, and he still appears to be, but the better term for his current state, would be something along the lines of "well preserved", I guess.

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Apr 19 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #35

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 19 2012, 12:56 PM) *

Everyone has a puncher's chance, but as far as the bold part goes, I've been hearin' that as well. Although I don't expect that to happen, I wouldn't be mad if it does. Like someone mentioned in a different thread concernin' the Mayweather-Gatti fight, "A lot of people knew this was gon' happen, but to actually see it happen was amazin' and heart-breakin' at the same time." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

QUOTE (sduck @ Apr 19 2012, 12:57 PM) *
The only thing Cotto has going for him is skill...somewhat. He's decent at boxing, and is a solid counter-puncher. It's just his lack of speed, no footwork, no head movement. Someone like Marquez is very slow, but he has the footwork and timing to back up his speed. Cotto doesn't. He'll hit standstill targets at will, but people with movement (see Pacquiao) are typically able to pick him apart, because Cotto's counter game won't work for him. If Cotto tries to box with Floyd, he's going to get picked apart like Marquez. Cotto's best chance is to try to bully Floyd, pressure, go to the body, like he used to do. Now he likes to box and headhunt. That's not a solid plan against Floyd, especially when you're slow and get hit so easily. The only thing Cotto has for himself defensively is that he likes to keep his hands up in front of his face, which would make it difficult for Floyd to consistently land the jab... Other than that it's more-likely a solid victory for Floyd. I know people ALWAYS like to bring up "Puncher's Chance" everyone has that. But Cotto is slow, not the hardest puncher around, easily hittable. I'm not saying it's going to be an easy fight, but it's a definite win for Floyd. And based upon Floyd's attitude like in 24/7... I'm starting to think HE thinks it'll be an easy fight. He probably wants a more impressive performance than that what Pacquiao did, even though of course he won't come out and say it. He wants the smaller gloves because he wants a quicker knockout.

Also, the most we know Floyd has weighed is 150. He's been weighing that in all his recent fights that we know of like with Ortiz. I doubt he's going to literally try to make the 154 limit. He'll be comfortable at that weight, just like Cotto will be.

That's true, but a lot of people don't realize how often Floyd goes to the body. He's a sneaky body-puncher, an effective one, too.

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 19 2012, 04:52 PM) *
It could very well happen, but folks should show Cotto a bit more respect than that, seriously. I agree that he was in his prime in '05, and he still appears to be, but the better term for his current state, would be something along the lines of "well preserved", I guess.

+1

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Apr 19 2012, 05:26 PM
Post #36

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 19 2012, 03:52 PM) *

i would love for floyd to put on a performance like that again but i don't see it

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Apr 20 2012, 07:42 AM
Post #37

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

ROUND 4 of his fight with Ortiz.. Floyd opened up and let his hands go hitting Victor with damn near 15 punches ... he was really beginning to punish the younger and bigger Ortiz... I see Floyd opening up in similar fashion on the slower and not so defensive Cotto...

+Quote Post
MaxPayne
post Apr 20 2012, 02:54 PM
Post #38

Featherweight

Member No.: 13,282

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 19 2012, 12:56 PM) *

Yeah, that's a good point. It's kind of like what Vito said, that we as boxing fans in general, want to see Floyd in a precarious position and having to dig himself out of a hole. Cotto's one of the few fighters of the last 20-30 years that I've seen, has transformed himself from a brawler to a true boxer - puncher. He has a lot of skills and I honestly believe that if he fought Pacquiao at a comfortable weight (even 150 lbs. at this point), that he would outbox him and beat him up. I might be in the minority on this one, but something just tells me that would be the case.

My personal hope for Cotto is that I'd like to see him very well conditioned, to the point where he doesn't seem as though he's gassing out towards the end of the fight. I'm expecting a good contest and feel as though we're going to see one.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Apr 20 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #39

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

The way I saw Cotto taking punishment in victory from the slow Margarito tells me he is going to get sliced and diced by Mayweather's accurate and sharp punches...

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Apr 22 2012, 12:32 AM
Post #40

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

Cotto sleepin in the same bed with his friend was weird to say the least but those damn pajama pants he had on sealed the deal LOL

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 09:14 AM