> Losses that are hard to watch...
E.C.LEGEND
post Apr 17 2012, 11:43 AM
Post #31

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,658

QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 17 2012, 10:43 AM) *
I felt the same way. I was in this pub in Manhattan watching it with my boy. Everyone wanted Calzaghe to win. It was sad because you could tell Roy was far more skilled than Calzaghe but he just couldn't take a punch anymore. He was punch drunk. He couldn't let his hands go because he was too scared to get hit. It didn't even have to be a power punch. Jabs stunned Jones at that point in his career.

I also felt bad for Gatti vs Mayweather. But I also LOVED that fight. It was one of, if not THE most billiant display of techinical boxing and ring generalship I've ever seen. I felt bad for Gatti though. He was a warrior but, as Roy Jones said, at no point in his career should he have been put in the ring with Floyd. It was embarassing because Floyd beat him up in front of a HUGE pro-Gatti crowd in Atlantic City. It was embarassing from the moment he left the dressing room. Anyone remember him getting scared by the pyrotechnics? lmao Then, watching Buddy McGirt hug him and tell him he has to stop the fight was gutwrenching because you know Gatti isn't a quitter. The worst image of that night was watching Buddy try and pull out the mouthpiece that was stuck in Gatti's mouth because it was so swollen.

I never want to see the hometown hero destroyed in front of his fans like that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 17 2012, 11:45 AM
Post #32

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (E.C.LEGEND @ Apr 17 2012, 12:38 PM) *
I thought I was watching Doomsday kill Superman.

God, how tragic that was. Seeing Superman killed as a kid, was worse than finding out that Santa wasn't real.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 17 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #33

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

there are soo many for me....

duran/leonard 2 (seeing duran quit...and leonard celebrate when he really didn't do shit to make him quit)

douglas/tyson (i had mixed feelings on this one. i idolized tyson back then...but i was happy for buster after watching his story)

duran/hearns (just hard to watch a legend get ko'd like that)

holmes/tyson (passing of the torch...a new era...i grew up watching holmes do his thing)

holmes/ali (same deal...passing of the torch..)

trinidad/hopkins (hard to watch because he just kept doing the same shit over and over and over...)

gatti/mayweather (i knew what was coming...but actually seeing it happen, i felt really bad for arturo.)

mayweather/corrales (did not expect this one sided beat down..and like trinidad...diego just kept doing the same shit)

margarito/cotto (i said before that fight that it would be the kind of fight that neither guy would recover from)

vasquez/marquez (all of them....very little defense...neither guy was ever the same)

gatti/ward (all of them...same as vasquez/marquez)

+Quote Post
flazi
post Apr 17 2012, 04:31 PM
Post #34

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,846

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 17 2012, 04:22 PM) *

damn as a young panamanian kid, that was really tough for me. I think i might have cried. the ko was brutal. Buster and Tyson was also difficult for me. Another night i cried, i can't even believe but i thought buster cheated and the ref cheated lol. Sugar Ray Norris. damn sugar was my favorite back then and even now i am just starting to see every single facet in his game.
The vazquez marquez was tough after the 2nd one. It was just wrong for them to have a 3rd or 4th. They left it all in the ring and neither are the same. Vazquez much worse. One of my current favorite cause he brought it ever night.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 17 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #35

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (flazi @ Apr 17 2012, 05:31 PM) *
damn as a young panamanian kid, that was really tough for me. I think i might have cried. the ko was brutal. Buster and Tyson was also difficult for me. Another night i cried, i can't even believe but i thought buster cheated and the ref cheated lol. Sugar Ray Norris. damn sugar was my favorite back then and even now i am just starting to see every single facet in his game.
The vazquez marquez was tough after the 2nd one. It was just wrong for them to have a 3rd or 4th. They left it all in the ring and neither are the same. Vazquez much worse. One of my current favorite cause he brought it ever night.

duran is my all time favorite fighter behind srr. i idolized him as a kid. i watched all his fights and tried to emulate his style. great fighter.

i liked ray prior to the duran fight...but i viewed him as a fighter who had the way paved for him. sure he had talent...but i found myself rooting against him more than anything...so when he lost to norris...i really didn't care. when he got ktfo'd by camacho, i laughed. i know it's wrong....but camacho pulled a leonard on leonard imo. he had that coming.

vasquez definitely brought it. i used to watch him train at the wildcard. he doesn't even look the same anymore and his speech is pretty bad. i pray for the dude. like most fighters....he gave more than he received that's for sure.

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Apr 17 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #36

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Apr 15 2012, 12:43 PM) *
Man there's so many that i can name but for 1 that stands out to me, no matter how much time i watch it is Roy Jones vs. Antonio Tarver 2... I don't know whats worst actually seeing 1 of the greatest being knocked out or hearing the joy in larry merchant's quote by saying "Roy is out, and Roy may be out of boxing"... Truth hurts (smh) and in case your wondering, yup just got done watching that fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHiEI74-lpA

I bet Larry Merchant gets on his knees every night and pray for the opportunity to be around long enough to say that 'bout Floyd. If that ever happened, he'd probably nut all over himself.

QUOTE (Thickback @ Apr 15 2012, 02:28 PM) *
Roy/Tarver II and Tyson/Douglas. I refuse to watch those fights.

Tyson-Douglas was a tough pill to swallow.

QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Apr 15 2012, 04:03 PM) *
This was it for me. No other fight (even Roy's other losses) were worse imo.

Yes, I understood this entire muscle mass loss deal in their first fight..I get it...I've been there..but in this fight i felt he had ample time for his body to adjust. I was actually about to bet $500 on him ( I was at a house party and everybody knew he was my guy and this loudmouth drunk was talking shit) Roy was getting his groove on and I was like this will be a complete shutout..............then BOOM....even the Roy haters were like "Did he slip, WTF?".....as soon as I saw him stumble to his feet, I couldn't believe it.

I went from tipsy to complete sober just that quick. My wife told me later she never saw me so sad. LOL. I didn't say a word on the way home.

Had you made that $500 bet, the loud-mouth drunk would've been talkin' a lot more shit after the fight was over. Y'all probably would've come to blows behind that shit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) . You know it's bad when the trip home is silent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) .

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Apr 15 2012, 11:39 PM) *
All of Tyson's loses were hard for me to watch but the one that is the toughest for me was his loss against Lewis. He was and always will be my favorite fighter. Good or bad I always respected the things he did in and outside of the ring. The people I admired the most coming up was 2pac and Tyson. Given the incident that happened between Lewis and Tyson, and the remarks being made about Mike by some fans and the media, I really wanted him to get the win.

I didn't order the fight, so ESPN was how I found out how it played out. And after I saw his post fight interview, I knew he would never challenge for a title again, I just knew that it was all over for him as far as boxing. I didn't say much that night my girlfriend at that time tried to cheer me up but I didn't want to be bothered. It was a sad moment and a sobering moment as well

Man, it's funny how we get so emotional over our idols' mishaps. I know for a fact Mosley almost made my heart stop (TWICE!!!) in round 2 of his fight against Mayweather.

QUOTE (jvo1800 @ Apr 16 2012, 06:32 PM) *
Jones Jr. losing to Tarver was the worst thing in sports history

"You got any excuses tonight, Roy?" Damn! That fight had history/classic written all over it from the get-go.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 17 2012, 05:22 PM) *
there are soo many for me....

duran/leonard 2 (seeing duran quit...and leonard celebrate when he really didn't do shit to make him quit)

douglas/tyson (i had mixed feelings on this one. i idolized tyson back then...but i was happy for buster after watching his story)

holmes/tyson (passing of the torch...a new era...i grew up watching holmes do his thing)

holmes/ali (same deal...passing of the torch..)

trinidad/hopkins (hard to watch because he just kept doing the same shit over and over and over...)

gatti/mayweather (i knew what was coming...but actually seeing it happen, i felt really bad for arturo.)

mayweather/corrales (did not expect this one sided beat down..and like trinidad...diego just kept doing the same shit)

margarito/cotto (i said before that fight that it would be the kind of fight that neither guy would recover from)

vasquez/marquez (all of them....very little defense...neither guy was ever the same)

gatti/ward (all of them...same as vasquez/marquez)

Man, I'm pro-Mayweather, but even I felt bad for Gatti. That fight was downright brutal.

This post has been edited by BoxingFan86: Apr 17 2012, 05:20 PM

+Quote Post
flazi
post Apr 17 2012, 06:26 PM
Post #37

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,846

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 17 2012, 05:38 PM) *
duran is my all time favorite fighter behind srr. i idolized him as a kid. i watched all his fights and tried to emulate his style. great fighter.

i liked ray prior to the duran fight...but i viewed him as a fighter who had the way paved for him. sure he had talent...but i found myself rooting against him more than anything...so when he lost to norris...i really didn't care. when he got ktfo'd by camacho, i laughed. i know it's wrong....but camacho pulled a leonard on leonard imo. he had that coming.

vasquez definitely brought it. i used to watch him train at the wildcard. he doesn't even look the same anymore and his speech is pretty bad. i pray for the dude. like most fighters....he gave more than he received that's for sure.

I pray for vazquez too. I saw him at a fight a year ago. His eye was still swolen. We loved us some Duran in our house since my dad knew him but my dad always want me to fight like Eusebio Pedroza. When i was growing up i used to go to the broadway boxing gym and train as a kid lol. I continued the tradition with my boy but since i moved a bit further i haven't made it back. You in Cali too i see. I was going to join wildcard but something about it i didn't like, i think it was the parking.

+Quote Post
Slumpage
post Apr 18 2012, 07:19 AM
Post #38

Strawweight

Member No.: 13,226

I still don't like watching the way Cotto got bricked to bits in the first fight with Marg. Used to be a huge Cotto fan, still am, an that shit was upsetting to see. Not just the state of his face, which made me an all my boys recoil when they finally showed a close up shot. The way he had to jus retreat to the opposite corner, take a knee an quit. You could literally see him disintigrate mentally...

Was extremely pleased when Shane put that whoopin on Marg...

That said, I think this fight with Floyd may have Cotto getting a supreme ass whopping again, luckily Floyd makes it look so good it won't be as hard to watch. I mean Gatti got destroyed, but I found myself marvelling at Floyd's technique more than the damage being done. Whereas Cotto vs Marg was jus a straight ghetto beat down...

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 18 2012, 11:50 AM
Post #39

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (flazi @ Apr 17 2012, 07:26 PM) *
I pray for vazquez too. I saw him at a fight a year ago. His eye was still swolen. We loved us some Duran in our house since my dad knew him but my dad always want me to fight like Eusebio Pedroza. When i was growing up i used to go to the broadway boxing gym and train as a kid lol. I continued the tradition with my boy but since i moved a bit further i haven't made it back. You in Cali too i see. I was going to join wildcard but something about it i didn't like, i think it was the parking.

vasquez looks like a totally different person. it's kind of sad. pedroza wasn't a bad guy to emulate either! broadway is a solid gym. i know them guys there. i take my guys to spar there occasionally. the wildcard is not what it used to be. i've worked out of there on and off since i moved out here in '02. it's hit or miss with the trainers and the place is pretty small so it's always hard to find parking...and most of the time u have to wait on a bag. there are a bunch of good guys there and once u get to know everyone...it's a pretty cool place.

+Quote Post
sduck
post Apr 18 2012, 12:33 PM
Post #40

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

I'm surprised no one agreed with me on Pacquiao vs Hatton. No love for Hatton lol?

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 03:47 PM