IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shocking First Time Knockdowns and Fighters Surprisingly Taking Punishment...
Cshel86
post Apr 17 2012, 08:31 AM
Post #1

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

In conjunction with the "Losses that were hard to watch thread", a few fights scrolled through my head, and something clicked (as it should have). What knockdown shocked you the most in a fight? What fight shocked you when you saw a guy taking punishment?

I'll throw the first two out there...

Shocking knockdown: RJJ getting floored by Lou Del Valle

Shocking moments/fights of punishment: Tyson getting froze by every Holyfield punch in the 10th round of the first fight. Throughout the fight, its clear that he was getting outboxed in rounds and losing the clinch match. On top of that, Evander executed a great game plan, because Im sure nobody wanted to take a Tyson punch.

The last 25-30 seconds of that 10th round, was pretty much one of the last signs of the apocalypse in Tyson's career. I watched it again, and he tried to throw that right hand and got countered, which froze him for a second, and Evander stayed on him. The ONLY thing that saved him in that round, was the remaining time. That walk back to the corner for Tyson, HAD to feel like a pilgrimage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Apr 17 2012, 08:56 AM
Post #2

Junior Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,419

I was shocked when Shane rocked Floyd. Everything about that round was weird. I've never seen Floyd buckle like that. Then he got hit twice and it was like "oh shit...he might go down." Then just like that, he started whooping Shane's ass in the same damn round (the part everyone conveniently likes to forget). That coupled with Lampley's annoying "Mosley, Mosley, Mosley" was a big WOW moment.

This post has been edited by Franchize: Apr 17 2012, 08:57 AM

+Quote Post
E.C.LEGEND
post Apr 17 2012, 09:24 AM
Post #3

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 6,658

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 17 2012, 08:31 AM) *
In conjunction with the "Losses that were hard to watch thread", a few fights scrolled through my head, and something clicked (as it should have). What knockdown shocked you the most in a fight? What fight shocked you when you saw a guy taking punishment?

I'll throw the first two out there...

Shocking knockdown: RJJ getting floored by Lou Del Valle

Shocking moments/fights of punishment: Tyson getting froze by every Holyfield punch in the 10th round of the first fight. Throughout the fight, its clear that he was getting outboxed in rounds and losing the clinch match. On top of that, Evander executed a great game plan, because Im sure nobody wanted to take a Tyson punch.

The last 25-30 seconds of that 10th round, was pretty much one of the last signs of the apocalypse in Tyson's career. I watched it again, and he tried to throw that right hand and got countered, which froze him for a second, and Evander stayed on him. The ONLY thing that saved him in that round, was the remaining time. That walk back to the corner for Tyson, HAD to feel like a pilgrimage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Deja vu! Jones got hit and fell the same way in the Green fight!

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 17 2012, 09:33 AM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (E.C.LEGEND @ Apr 17 2012, 10:24 AM) *
Deja vu! Jones got hit and fell the same way in the Green fight!

I was also shocked to see him go down in the Ruiz fight, which has got to be the shittiest fighter in boxing history! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
pesticid
post Apr 17 2012, 09:52 AM
Post #5

Bantamweight

Member No.: 10,865

Gamboa! Everytime he hits the floor he comes back and a second later he is busting you up. People rag on him for his knockdowns but he was never knocked down any worse than Marquez and Tito.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Apr 17 2012, 10:49 AM
Post #6

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I was surprised when Hopkins went down twice in the Pascal fight. Once...ok. But that second one man. He got rocked. He got rocked a few times in the 2nd fight too but he dominated every other aspect of the fight.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 17 2012, 11:28 AM
Post #7

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 17 2012, 11:49 AM) *
He got rocked a few times in the 2nd fight too but he dominated every other aspect of the fight.

Yep...that was a dominant victory on his behalf.

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Apr 17 2012, 01:57 PM
Post #8

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

For me, it has to be when Kostya Tszyu dropped Judah (in da 2nd fuckin' round SMH) and knocked his equilibrium all da way da fuck off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) . It was shockin' to me, 'cause Tszyu caught Zab with a solid right before he dropped him, but Zab still kept his hands down . Had he put his hands up, the knockout would've never occurred. Zab talked so much shit in the build-up of the fight, but the outcome was shockin' and hilarious. If I were in the position to talk to Zab after that fight, I would've said somethin' along the lines of, "Damn, Zab... leavin' your hands down like that really cost ya (Kostya) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ."

The other 1 has to be when Peden dropped Campbell. Nate got too fuckin' cocky and it cost him. It was shockin', 'cause I never knew Nate was capable of bein' so idiotic in the ring. I was happy when he got dropped, though. I hope he learned his lesson.

Pure comedy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) .

QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 17 2012, 09:56 AM) *
I was shocked when Shane rocked Floyd. Everything about that round was weird. I've never seen Floyd buckle like that. Then he got hit twice and it was like "oh shit...he might go down." Then just like that, he started whooping Shane's ass in the same damn round (the part everyone conveniently likes to forget). That coupled with Lampley's annoying "Mosley, Mosley, Mosley" was a big WOW moment.

Good ol' Lampley (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) . For me, I'll always remember him as the guy that yelled "BANG!!!!!!!! BANG!!!!!!!! BANG!!!!!!!!" in the middle of that Pacquiao-Clottey fight (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) .

This post has been edited by BoxingFan86: Apr 17 2012, 02:01 PM

+Quote Post
Genius
post Apr 18 2012, 03:40 AM
Post #9

Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,359

Shocking knockdown, Chavez getting dropped by Randall. Was watching live...not only the knockdown but losing for the first time officially...(pea got him first).

This post has been edited by Genius: Apr 18 2012, 03:41 AM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 19 2012, 09:14 AM
Post #10

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Man...rounds 7 and 8 in the Alexander/Matthysse fight were hard to watch...ESPECIALLY the 8th round. I swore Devon was getting ready to go down for good. He was already gassed, and those solar plexus shots by Matthysse against the ropes weren't helping him at all.

He BARELY blocked those shots, I mean, had he been a pubic's hair of a second too late, then those shots would've put him to rest. Now those two rounds of the fight were hard to watch...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 02:38 AM