IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cotto/Mayweather realistic predictions rd by rds.
Mayweather/Cotto
Result
Mayweather via wide decision [ 8 ] ** [34.78%]
Cotto via wide decision [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Mayweather via close decision (SD, MD) [ 2 ] ** [8.70%]
Cotto via close decision (SD, MD) [ 1 ] ** [4.35%]
Mayweather TKO [ 11 ] ** [47.83%]
Cotto TKO [ 1 ] ** [4.35%]
Draw [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Controversy (BS judges etc) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 23
Guests cannot vote 
mitukczuk
post Apr 26 2012, 05:41 PM
Post #1

Super Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,355

Ok, the task is simple. As we have a week or so till the fight happens, I think it's high time for us to break it down a bit.
I would like to see some realistic and more detailed predictions of how this fight will end up. You may add some kind of a rd by rd if you feel as doing it.

The way I see it, I think Floyd will come out strong, counter punching and applying pressure. I don't see him jabbing much in this fight. He'll stand in the pocket in the begining rounds and after he figure Cotto out I see him doing something similar to what he did to Gatti.

Cotto on the other hand, will be jabbing and going to the body. The jab will land a few times throughout the fight. Somewhere during the middle rounds I see him landing a left hook that will get crowds attention, but it will not be enough to get Floyd off of him. Later on, his face will be swollen (not blody) and the speed of Floyd will be the ultimate fight ender.

The result ? I am actually leaning towards corner stoppage after an embarassing 10th/11th round where Cotto will get tagged beyond recognition.

It is hard for me to see it that way, but the closer the fight is and the more I see from Floyd and Cotto, the more I am convinced this will be a mismatch.
I like Cotto a lot. He is a great champion, boxer and guy and I keep him very high on my all time favorites list, but he is matched with 'someone else'.

How do you see it ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 26 2012, 06:00 PM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

this fight will be a chess match and probably won't open up until the mid to late rounds. i can't see floyd putting pressure on cotto. cotto putting pressure on floyd will only lead to his demise. there will be a lot of cat and mouse back and forth with both fighters having their moments. early...the fight is cotto's. late the fight is floyds. the fight will go the distance.

floyd by dec.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Apr 26 2012, 06:00 PM

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Apr 26 2012, 07:11 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

Probably what DaProfessor said, but Floyd's accuracy could take its toll. I went off the deep end and picked Mayweather by TKO.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Apr 26 2012, 07:20 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

if he applies pressure early on like in the ortiz fight it could easily be a late stoppage, or even mid stoppage depending on how cottos face looks, but if he sits back and gives away the first few rounds i see a wide decision.

+Quote Post
haqtiq
post Apr 26 2012, 09:53 PM
Post #5

Amateur

Member No.: 13,586

I see Mayweather coming out strong, him being fairly active as of late. I think he is going to want to put on a show, maybe not early, say first 2 rounds to get Cotto's timing down. In typical Mayweather fashion in round 3 we will see his exact gameplan for Cotto, and he should start to dominate pretty much every round.

I see Cotto trying to draw Mayweather in to attempt to counter punch, and this is where the fight will end for Cotto, going to the ropes taking big body shots, getting chopped down over 12 rounds. Unless he decides to quit, and I give Cotto more credit than that, but I wouldn't be shocked.

But I picked Wide Dec Mayweather.

+Quote Post
sduck
post Apr 27 2012, 02:08 AM
Post #6

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Cotto will be the one mostly coming forward. Floyd will let Cotto lead first, counter him with straight rights and will mostly lead with a left hook and a jab to the body. He will also jab to the head, but it won't be as successful. Floyd will also let Cotto back him to the ropes, to set up the check left hook that he uses to get off the ropes. Cotto will get some hits in (probably lead hooks), everyone hits Floyd, but Cotto doesn't hit hard enough to change this fight in his direction, especially at this weight. It will be a competitive fight altogether, but Cotto will be getting hit at will and will gas out by round 7 to a late stoppage, he doesn't clinch and will stop punching all together. Cotto will NOT be Gatti'd, but will be Bruseles'd except with a later stoppage.

P.S. God I love Cotto's combination setups. Probably the only thing I don't like about Floyd is that he mostly doesn't like to setup relentless combinations.

This post has been edited by sduck: Apr 27 2012, 02:12 AM

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Apr 27 2012, 04:50 AM
Post #7

Super Featherweight

Maybe I went to far with that Gatti thing now when I think about it. Getting Bruseles'd is much more likely for Cotto. Performance against Gatti was phenomenal and Floyd's approach has changed a bit since then.

I am still saying it will be 10/11th round corner stoppage though.

Gotta say, not even De la Hoya vs. Mayweather had me so pumped ! Really looking forward to this fight.

+Quote Post
Slumpage
post Apr 27 2012, 05:29 AM
Post #8

Strawweight

Member No.: 13,226

Cotto doesn't clinch, its like its against the rules for Puerto Rican fighters or some shit... I think that's gonna get him stopped. Cotto does tire, so by like round 7-8, Floyd should just start landing way too many flush shots for Cotto's corner to let it continue. People talk about Floyd not throwing combos, i recall a good few being launched at Ortiz. Knowing how Cotto moves and adding his clinch refusal into the mix, I can forsee a few wobbly moments for Cotto along the ropes whilst he's "not clinching"..

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 27 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

We're gonna see shades of the old Cotto next weekend. I like how some guys make it seem like Miguel is gonna go in there and lay down, at least that's what I've been reading (in other places) and hearing people say. I like Cotto's "puncher's chance" in this fight, and I believe he'll make a significant impact.

Jesus...what are the betting odds for this fight? Are they at 10-1 right now? Who knows, but seriously, some guys are serially overrating Floyd's skills going into this fight, and that lets me know who the real fans are, and the ones who are aimlessly on the Money Mayweather bandwagon.

Need not forget that anything can happen in a fight, and it only takes one punch to either change the trajectory of a fight, or end it on the spot. Shane gave Floyd "a chance" to adjust because he was too eager to finish him off.

Shit, guys act like Floyd did something so amazing in that fight when Shane hurt him, the naked eye shows anybody with logics (not driven by bias) that he did the same shit that ANY other fighter is supposed to do when they get hurt...clinch, get on your bike, take a knee, or a combination of the 3...but again, you can point out the bandwagon fans when they add that extra mustard onto his recovery in that round.

If the odds continue to aimlessly rise, then the chances of some freakish shit happening, will increase as well. How many fights have we (hardcore fans) seen over the past year(s), end in a weird fashion because one guy is supposed to beat the other guy? Just think about it...

Floyd is supposed to win this fight, but that doesn't automatically give him the W off top. I have Cotto by a freakish shot that throws the whole fight, before the 5th round. If not, then Mayweather wins storyline will continue. I wont be mad if he wins, but people not giving Cotto a chance at all, is making me bet against Floyd.

Think about it, Floyd will more than likely lose before he hangs 'em up (however the retirement plays out)...will it be Pacquiao that hands him his first defeat? As of late, the answer to that would be "no". Will it be someone who we least expect? Hasn't it always been that way in the sport?

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Apr 27 2012, 12:02 PM
Post #10

Super Featherweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 27 2012, 11:07 AM) *
We're gonna see shades of the old Cotto next weekend. I like how some guys make it seem like Miguel is gonna go in there and lay down, at least that's what I've been reading (in other places) and hearing people say. I like Cotto's "puncher's chance" in this fight, and I believe he'll make a significant impact.

Jesus...what are the betting odds for this fight? Are they at 10-1 right now? Who knows, but seriously, some guys are serially overrating Floyd's skills going into this fight, and that lets me know who the real fans are, and the ones who are aimlessly on the Money Mayweather bandwagon.

Need not forget that anything can happen in a fight, and it only takes one punch to either change the trajectory of a fight, or end it on the spot. Shane gave Floyd "a chance" to adjust because he was too eager to finish him off.

Shit, guys act like Floyd did something so amazing in that fight when Shane hurt him, the naked eye shows anybody with logics (not driven by bias) that he did the same shit that ANY other fighter is supposed to do when they get hurt...clinch, get on your bike, take a knee, or a combination of the 3...but again, you can point out the bandwagon fans when they add that extra mustard onto his recovery in that round.

If the odds continue to aimlessly rise, then the chances of some freakish shit happening, will increase as well. How many fights have we (hardcore fans) seen over the past year(s), end in a weird fashion because one guy is supposed to beat the other guy? Just think about it...

Floyd is supposed to win this fight, but that doesn't automatically give him the W off top. I have Cotto by a freakish shot that throws the whole fight, before the 5th round. If not, then Mayweather wins storyline will continue. I wont be mad if he wins, but people not giving Cotto a chance at all, is making me bet against Floyd.

Think about it, Floyd will more than likely lose before he hangs 'em up (however the retirement plays out)...will it be Pacquiao that hands him his first defeat? As of late, the answer to that would be "no". Will it be someone who we least expect? Hasn't it always been that way in the sport?

You got a point there. But come on, its just an innocent thread trying to see people's opinion. I said in another thread that there is a serious chance that Cotto will stun the world. He is more than capable of that.

The way I see things is, that Cotto in his last 3 fights fought Foreman, Mayorga and Margarito..neither of these guys is an A+ or A fighter. B at best with Mayorga being the D level beast. I think he has been very carefully handled after Pacquiao and that will be the difference. Cotto as of late is Cotto untested, Cotto who gets hit a lot but Cotto who is looking good and comfortable, which may be the reason why people see him victorious.

What Floyd did in Mosley fight was as you said, a good survival instinct. One could say that it was the basic thing to do. I don't see it as anything so special and I am not creating my prediction based on that.

It's not that Cotto is not capable of surprise and I don't give him a chance, it's just that after I saw what Floyd is able to do to an A+ fighter in form of Marquez (I don't care about the weight, things like that should not happen to a fighter Marquez's caliber imo no matter who he fights) I think there is much bigger chance of seeing a surprise in form of another mismatch of skills.

If Cotto wins, I'll be as happy as if Floyd won. That's why I can't wait to see this fight!
Maybe it will be competitive, maybe we get a draw or a TKO win for Cotto. It doesn't matter, these are JUST predictions.

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: Apr 27 2012, 12:03 PM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 09:24 AM