IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Miguel Cotto/Arturo Gatti, Who belongs in the IBHOF 1st
Cotto or Gatti, who deserves to go into the Hall more
If both were up right now, who gets your vote?
Arturo Gatti [ 2 ] ** [15.38%]
Miguel Cotto [ 11 ] ** [84.62%]
Total Votes: 13
Guests cannot vote 
bMaK
post May 1 2012, 12:35 AM
Post #1

Strawweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,682

I had this fight with a friend of mine last Saturday. This dude is very active in the boxing industry and normally goes along with the general consensus and all that crap so we fight all the time. Also fought about Sly Stallone being in the Hall. I'll hold my opinion for now, just want to see what y'all think.

Cotto or Gatti, who's more Canastota worthy?

This post has been edited by bMaK: May 1 2012, 12:48 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bMaK
post May 1 2012, 12:36 AM
Post #2

Strawweight

Member No.: 12,682

Note: I should say if you HAVE to choose 1.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 1 2012, 01:39 AM
Post #3

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

at this point....i'd have to go with gatti for his trilogy with ward alone. sure, he really didn't accomplish much as far as winning titles, but neither has cotto. cotto has won vacant titles at 140 and 147 but didn't beat a belt holder until 154 with yuri foreman. yuri's biggest accomplishment (if u can call it that) was being ducked by pacquiao. now if ur asking who the better fighter is...cotto takes the cake. gatti was beat 9 times and 5 of those were by ko. his 2 biggest losses came from 2 of the best in the sport...oscar and floyd. no shame there. but guys like manfreddy, ivan robinson, mickey ward, baldomir and gomez don't even come close to the caliber of fighter miguel is and miguel's losses were respectable ones to pac and the cheater.

+Quote Post
Zaryu
post May 1 2012, 09:53 AM
Post #4

Amateur

Member No.: 13,618

I say Cotto, he's a three division world champion and should have been recognized as an unified champ when he beat Clottey. He has some great names on his resume with some wins. He beat a game Mosley, put the first defeat on a couple of undefeated fighter who later became champs themselves (Maliggnaggi and Quintana), avenged his first defeat, and despite losing clearly to Pacquiao he was very competitive throughout the first rounds. He also defended his 140lbs title 6 times, defended his first welterweight title 4 times before losing it in a great fight, and should have been crowned unified champ after beating Clottey in a close fight. He has already defended his 154lbs title twice and is going up against one of the best fighters of his time. I don't think he'll get dominated like Gatti (RIP) did.

I don't really mind that most of his titles were vacant because technicalities can overshadow the real meaning of fights. Miguel Cotto has had great competition all thorughout his career, even when fighting for vacant titles. It's not like he was avoiding anyone. He always fought the best opposition available and that's what counts. Gatti was a great warrior and very good fighter, especially at 130lbs, but if we have to chose only one for the Hall of Fame I think the better fighter should get the nod. Although I do agree both belong there because of what they gave to the sport of boxing.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 1 2012, 12:04 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Ibhof seems like a joke at times

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 1 2012, 12:11 PM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ May 1 2012, 01:04 PM) *
Ibhof seems like a joke at times

yeah, they pretty much lost all their credibility when they inducted stallone.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post May 1 2012, 01:11 PM
Post #7

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I voted Gatti, for the above stated reasons. In all honesty, the "Canastota standards" have almost gone to shit over the past few years. As I stated in another thread, "Stallone seriously being inducted into the HOF, does little to restore my faith in humanity".

I would say that both can and more than likely will be inducted. Gatti is more deserving...

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 1 2012, 01:31 PM
Post #8

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 1 2012, 02:11 PM) *
I voted Gatti, for the above stated reasons. In all honesty, the "Canastota standards" have almost gone to shit over the past few years. As I stated in another thread, "Stallone seriously being inducted into the HOF, does little to restore my faith in humanity".

I would say that both can and more than likely will be inducted. Gatti is more deserving...

after cotto beats floyd...he'll definitely leap frog gatti.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post May 1 2012, 03:38 PM
Post #9

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

LMAO...last I checked you could not use baseball bats in the ring.. that is the only way COTTO wins against Floyd

Gatti does not belong in the hall of fame.. neither does Ward.. A trilogy with no major title on the line means crap.. it was exciting, yet between them damn near 20 losses??? Please...

This post has been edited by neophyte7: May 1 2012, 03:53 PM

+Quote Post
Plah
post May 1 2012, 04:10 PM
Post #10

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,629

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 1 2012, 04:38 PM) *
LMAO...last I checked you could not use baseball bats in the ring.. that is the only way COTTO wins against Floyd

Gatti does not belong in the hall of fame.. neither does Ward.. A trilogy with no major title on the line means crap.. it was exciting, yet between them damn near 20 losses??? Please...

Was thinking the same...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 12:29 PM