Reply to this topicStart new topic
> self managed fighters...
Slumpage
post May 2 2012, 06:48 PM
Post #41

Strawweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,226

True... But what I'm saying is Floyd's whole basis for better testing is predicated on the fact that he believes Manny's success is due to PED use. I disagree, I think it's down to other aforementioned things. I'm all for better testing and just overall regulation in boxing, however I just don't think Manny is juicing. Now if Floyd had been insisting on OSDT for a while, or at least been vocal on the subject pre-Pacquiao time, his health and safety concerns would look more like a conscious effort to improve the sport as opposed to the "fear of Manny" spin it's been given by many fans/media.

I hear what ur saying about Floyd's lack of filter selling the PPV, but by now I'd expect him to be a lot smarter with it. Still, if it gets him paid, who am I to tell him to change it up...

As for Cotto... I fully agree, he's a more complete fighter than Shane, and a good jab def causes Floyd some trouble. Thing is, at this point I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the only way Floyd loses is by a "tarver moment" type KO shot. Regardless of what attributes an opponent brings, I always envisage Floyd being able to overcome it over the course of 12 rounds. As I said, the only punch I've seen land that's likely to cause a 1 punch KO loss on Floyd is the overhand right. I see the jab as a key to landing it, but without sufficient power in the right it ain't happening imo... That's why I gave Shane more of a chance than I'm currently giving Cotto, although his jab is shit, his overhand right would according to Brother Nazim "KO anything that weighs 147lb", as evidenced in his fight prior to Floyd... I think Miguel will be way more competitive that Shane was, but I gave Shane more of a chance of winning due to his 1 punch over hand right... If that makes sense?!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 2 2012, 06:49 PM
Post #42

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Franchize @ May 2 2012, 06:07 PM) *
End of the day, scared or not, if you are fighting someone n risking ur life, its needs to be certain that everyone is on equsl playing terms. Barry Bonds n Roger Clemons juicing only effects the record books. Boxing is totally different. Even if Floyd wipes the floor with Manny, he could suffer a serious injury. End of the day, ppl think Cotto got redemption with Magarito but in reality only his fans did. Cotto may have avenged the lost but Magarito is still making money while Lord knows what long term effects Cotto will end up with. Furthermore, you guys do realize its Floyds lack of a filter that sells PPVs right? The real problem is the media has tons of this footage, but they pussy out when it comes to asking Manny tough questions. Nobody says, hey how cone Arum bitched about an outdoor stadium but you are fighting in the same, exact venue for less money in June?

ur preaching to the choir. i'm all for usada.

i agree about cotto not getting redemption. he shouldn't have fought the cheater imo.

the media is very biased against floyd. i would even say that much of that bias may be based in racism.

arum is arum...a lying sack of shit.

i watch the ppv's to see floyd in the ring. his lack of a filter is raw...and i can appreciate that sometimes....but it's his boxing skills that make him great not his shit talking. the world has enough of that.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 2 2012, 06:57 PM
Post #43

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

problem is Floyd knows that the media is against him, he knows there are haters, but that doesn't stop him throwing more gasoline into the fire, also he says he never said MP takes PEDs but he's blatantly coming out with stuff like that it just doesn't help his case now does it. Like I said with MP you can't be the dick head and claim to be a saint, in Floyd's case you can't claim the man is on PEDs, and then go tell the Law nope never did that. Then it's no longer an issue of boxing, or business, but an issue of weak principles.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 2 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #44

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Slumpage @ May 2 2012, 06:48 PM) *
True... But what I'm saying is Floyd's whole basis for better testing is predicated on the fact that he believes Manny's success is due to PED use. I disagree, I think it's down to other aforementioned things. I'm all for better testing and just overall regulation in boxing, however I just don't think Manny is juicing. Now if Floyd had been insisting on OSDT for a while, or at least been vocal on the subject pre-Pacquiao time, his health and safety concerns would look more like a conscious effort to improve the sport as opposed to the "fear of Manny" spin it's been given by many fans/media.

I hear what ur saying about Floyd's lack of filter selling the PPV, but by now I'd expect him to be a lot smarter with it. Still, if it gets him paid, who am I to tell him to change it up...

As for Cotto... I fully agree, he's a more complete fighter than Shane, and a good jab def causes Floyd some trouble. Thing is, at this point I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the only way Floyd loses is by a "tarver moment" type KO shot. Regardless of what attributes an opponent brings, I always envisage Floyd being able to overcome it over the course of 12 rounds. As I said, the only punch I've seen land that's likely to cause a 1 punch KO loss on Floyd is the overhand right. I see the jab as a key to landing it, but without sufficient power in the right it ain't happening imo... That's why I gave Shane more of a chance than I'm currently giving Cotto, although his jab is shit, his overhand right would according to Brother Nazim "KO anything that weighs 147lb", as evidenced in his fight prior to Floyd... I think Miguel will be way more competitive that Shane was, but I gave Shane more of a chance of winning due to his 1 punch over hand right... If that makes sense?!

makes all the sense in the world. however, i don't believe the only way for him to lose is by a 'tarver moment.' i think miguel is going to do something we've not seen anyone do. he's going to beat the body and shoulders in an intelligent fashion. he's going to attempt to break floyd down. we've seen guys throw mindless punches at floyd and lack the intelligence or defense to deal with what comes back. hatton wasn't intelligent or defensive. shane wasn't defensive or intelligent. ortiz definitely isn't intelligent or defensive. marquez was both...but he lacked the size...and he's not capable of the same pressure that cotto is capable of bringing. again...this is all speculation...we'll find out for sure on fight night. this is why i love boxing!!!! u just never know!!! one punch can change everything.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 2 2012, 07:01 PM
Post #45

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ May 2 2012, 06:57 PM) *
problem is Floyd knows that the media is against him, he knows there are haters, but that doesn't stop him throwing more gasoline into the fire, also he says he never said MP takes PEDs but he's blatantly coming out with stuff like that it just doesn't help his case now does it. Like I said with MP you can't be the dick head and claim to be a saint, in Floyd's case you can't claim the man is on PEDs, and then go tell the Law nope never did that. Then it's no longer an issue of boxing, or business, but an issue of weak principles.

i hear u. no matter what the case...the lawsuit was weak imo. simple way to erase all doubt. olympic boxers have been doing it for decades.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 2 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #46

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 3 2012, 01:01 AM) *
i hear u. no matter what the case...the lawsuit was weak imo. simple way to erase all doubt. olympic boxers have been doing it for decades.

i guess this is another fight i should forget about.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 2 2012, 07:27 PM
Post #47

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ May 2 2012, 08:07 PM) *
i guess this is another fight i should forget about.

yeah...but in the end, tim bradley will be the guy blamed for that fight not happening. that's another topic for another thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post May 2 2012, 09:03 PM
Post #48

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

Uh oh...hope this isn't turning into a Pacquiao/Mayweather/PED thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes_anim.gif)

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post May 2 2012, 09:35 PM
Post #49

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

My two cents in this whole thing:

That vid, IMO, doesn't reinforce anything old or open my eyes to anything new. Floyd is Floyd and this vid proves it. He's egomaniacal, starving for attention, envious, hypocritical, contradicting and....oh, yeah...THE best boxer on the planet. IMO, Floyd doesn't overlook ANYONE. ANYONE. If he was going to overlook any opponent(s), it would've been JMM and/or Shane. Result: collectively, those guys won maybe 1 or 2 rounds out of 24. He's dialed in to this Cotto fight....something fierce.

That being said, I believe Cotto is a live dog in this fight, but it's going to take something he hasn't done in quite awhile: finish strong. While he has good power, he doesn't possess that automatic "buzz" power. He breaks cats down over time. "Time" is the one thing, ironically, that doesn't play in your favor in a May fight. The longer he sees what you're trying to do, the more likely he counters that and uses it against you. In addition, I think Cotto has some "cruise control" in him. I think when adversity (read: gets buzzed or hurt) sets in and he doesn't like the look of it, he'll set his ride on "cruise control" and try to let it ride. I get the Margs fight (I mean, after all, he was getting hit w/ building blocks inside a pair of gloves), but after Pac made pudding outta those legs of his (via the chin), that good ole' "Sandman" backpedal from the Apollo came out. I'm just wondering, what if HE underestimates Floyd's power and gets his "beard" checked, what then?

Cotto's left hook is the play here....if he tightens it up, it could be interesting...however, if it's wide, he's gonna have some problems....which, IMO, will surface early.

Like I said, 2 cents.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post May 2 2012, 09:46 PM
Post #50

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ May 2 2012, 10:35 PM) *
that good ole' "Sandman" backpedal from the Apollo came out. I'm just wondering, what if HE underestimates Floyd's power and gets his "beard" checked, what then?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 12:12 PM