IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> manny stewards take on things..., interesting.
daprofessor
post May 4 2012, 05:26 PM
Post #1

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

"Floydís got to be very careful and never, ever underestimate Miguel, because Miguel is going to put pressure on him and I think heís going to be ripping that left hook in there like he hasnít done in a long time. Styles make fights and Floydís style of rolling the shoulder back and being in the rolled position where he can neutralize punchesóhe doesnít do a whole lot of just bobbing, and slipping, and punching the way of Pernell Whitaker, who really was a classic defensive fighter that slipped punches and punched while he slipped. Floyd just shuts you down by rolling his shoulder and locking himself in a certain position. In that position he canít get hit with right hands so much for the most part, but heís vulnerable to left hooks. So Miguel is going to have to put a lot of pressure on Floyd and fight at a pretty good intense pace to take Floyd out of his comfort zone, and I donít know if heís going to be able to do that because Floyd is such an intelligent fighter and he has the ability to change the pace. He can make you fight at the pace he wants you to fight at. Itís going to be a very interesting fight, and even though Floyd is the favorite I could possibly see it going the other way, also.Ē

ďWell Iíll tell you what. Iím excited about all of the fights, and Iím serious! Peterson and Khan! Oh my God! All of those fights, Iím like I donít know what, and I know this may surprise you but Manny Pacquiao and Bradley! Thatís one of them to me thatís almost a tossup! I just think with Manny, as good as he is, hasnít been in with a guy thatís strong mentally and real, real determined, and as physically coordinated as Bradley. This is a fight that I was surprised they took also. The same with Mayweather and Cotto, I just think we have some really good fights coming up and I believe theyíre all going to live up to their potential."

-manny steward

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post May 4 2012, 06:37 PM
Post #2

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,355

I like Manny Steward, unless hes behind the microphone calling fights as Grumpy Old Man no. 3 (after Lampley and Merchant of course). I won't say anything about his views on Money/Cotto or Bradley/Pac as I have already stated my opinion elsewhere and I don't seem to impress a lot people with it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

On another note - Manny Steward...hes working harder than many top fighters. Long live!

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post May 4 2012, 10:41 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

I'm always interested in what trainers have to say. Interesting points that he made and while I tend to agree with him, I give Mayweather more credit for being able to punch while he's being defensive than Emmanuel seems to be giving him - Floyd is more than just the old shoulder roll.

+Quote Post
sduck
post May 5 2012, 06:50 AM
Post #4

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Floyd uses the shoulder roll a lot because it works, but that's not the only thing he uses. He parries, bobs, slips punches, clinches, counters. I would go as far as to say he is more defensively efficient then the likes of Pernell Whitaker and Willie Pep. Manny Steward just doesn't like being biased, especially doesn't like putting today's era over yesterday's era. Like he felt offended, I think it was the Baldomir fight when they were responding to Floyd's comments about comparing himself to Ray Robinson.

I don't know how well Floyd expects his performance to be, pressing the fight against Cotto. I think that's where Cotto would be stronger at. If he simply tries to box Cotto he would simply win like that, but coming forward now against every opponent is gambling.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post May 5 2012, 07:23 AM
Post #5

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (sduck @ May 5 2012, 06:50 AM) *
Floyd uses the shoulder roll a lot because it works, but that's not the only thing he uses. He parries, bobs, slips punches, clinches, counters. I would go as far as to say he is more defensively efficient then the likes of Pernell Whitaker and Willie Pep. Manny Steward just doesn't like being biased, especially doesn't like putting today's era over yesterday's era. Like he felt offended, I think it was the Baldomir fight when they were responding to Floyd's comments about comparing himself to Ray Robinson.

I don't know how well Floyd expects his performance to be, pressing the fight against Cotto. I think that's where Cotto would be stronger at. If he simply tries to box Cotto he would simply win like that, but coming forward now against every opponent is gambling.

I agree...however, I think Floyd is deciding to come forward (on paper, anyway) against Miguel is b/c he doesn't think Cotto is "there" mentally should the fight get tough. I said this a week or so ago and Floyd, IMO, hinted towards it in a recent interview, "He's fallen for it once, he'll fall for it again....(referencing his team's failure to watch Margs & Co. handwrap or demanding the blood test for Team Pac) and "he's been on the canvas before..." It's like he's all, but saying, "I know he'll quit at some point."

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post May 5 2012, 12:24 PM
Post #6

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

One more point, I'll give Manny Steward a "pass" on most things regarding Floyd, if for no other reason, but for how he's handled Floyd calling him an "Uncle Tom" back in the day. That, IMO, was far more disrespectful than anything he's said to Larry Merchant or anyone, for that matter. Whatever you wanna say about Manny, his acumen for boxing usually trumps all the other things that go along w/ commentating on HB-HO!!!!

+Quote Post
Franchize
post May 5 2012, 12:32 PM
Post #7

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

Manny Steward is way off in my opinion. Floyd uses more than the shoulder roll for defense. In fact, the thing that seperates Floyd from most defensive fighters is that he uses his shoulder roll, slips punches, uses his guard and can tie guys up the proper way. Most guys with head movement and reflexes that good dismiss their guard...see Roy Jones. He uses both so its like having a bullet proof vest on under your armour. The 1st minute of the Ortiz fight contradicts Mannys argument.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post May 5 2012, 01:31 PM
Post #8

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Like Cheesey said, anytime a trainer speaks, it's hard to ignore or blow off. I was listening to Jeff Mayweather on the FH radio show earlier this week, and this dude will have you drunk listening to him talk boxing...that's how deep his knowledge is.

As for Steward, he usually makes decent predictions when he's not live on HBO. While on HBO, he makes a prediction before the fight, which is substantial compared to Merchant's one-lane-highway analogies, and Lampley's general overview.

Steward then ends up blunting his own prediction, but jumping ship when the pace of the fight changes...and pulls his 4AM prediction out of his back pocket. "Oh there it goes, there it goes. I could tell by the way he walked to the ring, that he was gonna get caught with that punch."

+Quote Post
HaydelHammer
post May 5 2012, 02:10 PM
Post #9

Welterweight

Member No.: 128

Floyd has always been careful in his fights, so throw out the "need" for it.

Facts are Cotto and his camp better have a gameplan, be prepared to stick to it no matter what and have the conditioning down the stretch to carry out the mission.

Floyd is going to be Floyd period point blank.

I'd love to see cotto out on his toes, boxing, double triples jabs, circling, running numbers then bailing out, mix in some toe to toe in later rounds then bail then box some more. Score and GTFO dodge basically for 12 rounds no fatigue.

I doubt he can carry that out b/c first sign of flat footed-ness floyd will walk him down, shoulder and razor his ass to shreds. LOL

+Quote Post
Franchize
post May 5 2012, 06:51 PM
Post #10

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

Key to Cotto being successful is his jab IMO. He has one of the better jabs in boxing. If he puts it in the holster and expects to bully his way in, hes going out like Ricky Hatton. Probably worse because he isnt as relentless as Hatton was even though he is obviously better.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 05:14 AM