IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

24 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO PPV@09:00(ET)/6:00(PT)- Mayweather vs Cotto-SPOILERS 15 Mins. Later, No New Spoilers, Duplicate Threads, or Public Streams
Run and Gun Game...
post May 6 2012, 04:36 PM
Post #191

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 195

As stated before i wont pay for a Mayweather or Pac fight until they fight each other. There is a free version of the cotto v/s may fight on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAz_xclKuA8...feature=related

Now after watching the fight, I scored it a little differant than most. I thought because of the body punches that cotto won rd.3 As far as rd 5 went, alot of peeps gave that to cotto, but to me it was an even rd. Cotto did win round 6, and i thought May came back to do enough to win rd 7. Rd. 8 was cottos best rd and he won it. After that he seemed to slow just a little and back off of the pressure.

So I had Cotto winning 3 rds and one rd even.

As for Cotto being ready to go in the 12th, I disagree. He was stunned but recovered quickly. He was stunned not hurt, there is a differance.

Now lets talk about Floyd. He did a great job, but did look a little closer to 35 in this fight than 25. It very well could be a gateway fight to him slowing down. He did take more punishment in this fight than usual. His defense got lax in the middle rounds and he ate some hard shots. The constant shoulder rolls floyd does take a ton of energy, and he seemed to tire some. The weight didnt bother floyd either because he said himself he came into the fight at 147, so no he didnt come in heavy.

I have seen many great fighters have what I call a bridge fight in which they absorb more than usual punishment, then are never the same after, did Floyd? Only time will tell. But you cant just brush of the damage done to his body.

Lastly I am not gonna say Floyd will have an easier time or harder time with manny till we see Mannys next fight, Manny has not looked great lately tbh
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 6 2012, 05:13 PM
Post #192

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (MRxHBOxHIMSELF @ May 6 2012, 04:11 PM) *
4-5 fights? more like 2 more fights, he only fights once a year lol

he wants to fight in the fall, so he may also fight twice next year, and the year after that and call it a day.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post May 6 2012, 05:19 PM
Post #193

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

I'm interested to see where Cotto goes from here. I hope he fights on because the Cotto who fought last night can probably destroy anything from 147 and 154. I think he's deserving of a big money fight and/or a title shot. I think Floyd will "look" better in his next fight if he returns to 147. As far as Manny goes, I am of the opinion as many fans and even some fighters like Malinaggi. If he didn't lose to Cotto, I don't see him losing to anyone

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post May 6 2012, 05:23 PM
Post #194

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ May 6 2012, 05:13 PM) *
he wants to fight in the fall, so he may also fight twice next year, and the year after that and call it a day.

I'm interested to see who exactly he would fight in the fall

+Quote Post
aTYpicalTYrant
post May 6 2012, 05:58 PM
Post #195

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,480

I'm not so sure if we can say Floyd was "off" just because he fought so much more differently than what we are accustomed to. This was a tough fight (I scored it 116-112 for Floyd) BUT we rarely see him go toe to toe with most opponents even at 147 lb. Why he did this I don't know. I personally feel Floyd should stay out of 154lb (he looks more comfortable at 147lb in my opinion.) I do not think he would box like this again just because it's not his preference. Commendable win by Floyd and Congrats to Cotto for attempting to maintain pressure and having the stamina to go 12 rounds.

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post May 6 2012, 06:27 PM
Post #196

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ May 6 2012, 12:39 PM) *
Professor....you're correct; Cotto did do that at times to switch it up...however, did you notice he did it at times when he had Floyd in the corners/ropes laying on him and then all of sudden...he started Sandman'n....Cotto does that in his fights to conserve energy.

As far as the movement, true story. Hadn't seen it in a minute and if I'm being honest, I was watching the fight thinking, "Bruh, use your legs, tire him out and then step on the gas in rounds 10-12." I'm tellin' you, Floyd was anxious for this fight...as I saw him "mouth breathing" by round 3 or 4.

his nose was bleeding

he had to breath from the mouth, he wasn't tired.

This post has been edited by Hotsauce: May 6 2012, 06:29 PM

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post May 6 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #197

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,355

This is my last post in this thread as I don't want to milk it anymore.

First - Lampley's "Dat dress" when the camera was focusing Mrs. Jackson for the first time was priceless !! Loved it! But still, her dress she wore on Ortiz/Mayweather cannot be beaten !

Second - I scored it 118- 110 the second time. I muted the commentary during the fight and I also tried to focus on your observations guys - Floyd tiring, corner not being ready for bleeding and advice etc.

Scores
1-5th Floyd
6th Cotto
7th Floyd
8th Cotto - And I didn't see it sooo big. Floyd did land some good shots. Cotto clearly won it though. Very nice pressure.
9th-12th - Floyd

As for Floyd tiring and giving up middle rounds. I think that was rather the moment when Floyd was expecting Cotto to break down. Which didn't happen. I think he was surprised and was thinking about what to do in that situation more than about fighting. But it was worth it as I believe in the 9th he came up strong and effective and didn't give Cotto a chance to steal the rounds. And finished very strong !

Bleeding - Well, yeah...Floyd bled. But I still maintain that it's better to bleed from the nose, than turn into a tomato as in Cotto's case. The only thing Floyd's corner didn't do is clean the blood from his face. Other than that - Roger was okay. (remember the time he went the whole 1 minute with just saying "Keep doin whatchu doin" once? So him not giving advice to Floyd or whatever. Well...whatever. As for Rafel Garcia - he did good job. Bleeding nose can be renewed easily as you know.

And as for the fight ? I think that this fight was so intense mainly because Floyd decided not to box and stay on the outside. Cotto made it really hard for Floyd but Floyd still won rounds that he won very clearly. I give Cotto a lot of credit as I think he is born to be the champion and I wish he will become one once again. He gave a really good account of himself. And surprised me a lot with his determination and stamina in the later going. It was competitive, but it was clear who is the better man in the ring.

One thing I didn't like - Cotto picking up Floyd, then in the later rounds when he almost tackled him like he did to Clottey and one more incident that I can't remember in which round. This kind of behavior in the ring I don't like. You can try to make a statement about being the bigger guy with something else. How about punches ? Don't like this side of Miguel.

Great fight and display of skills from both guys. Floyd is just one or two dimensions above Miguel.

And I still think bringing Justin Bieber was a victory in its own right. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

See you in another thread !

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: May 6 2012, 06:41 PM

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 6 2012, 09:05 PM
Post #198

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (mrchitown @ May 6 2012, 11:23 PM) *
I'm interested to see who exactly he would fight in the fall

Who knows I mean on the front page he's saying there's no one out they're for him, maybe he felt his age that night and deciding that's there's no need,I hope he realises he doesn't have to fight like that

+Quote Post
pimpfighterROQ
post May 6 2012, 09:46 PM
Post #199

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,368

Cotto is Thomas Hearns of this era. He will be remembered not for his wins but for his courage and the fight he gave on the losses to great fighters in his record.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post May 6 2012, 10:35 PM
Post #200

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ May 6 2012, 09:05 PM) *
Who knows I mean on the front page he's saying there's no one out they're for him, maybe he felt his age that night and deciding that's there's no need,I hope he realises he doesn't have to fight like that

Yeah. I watched the post fight press conference, I also read something on another site that he said he's "80/20" that he'll retire. I can see where he's coming from. Khan is the best option outside of a Martinez fight. Berto-Ortiz winner is an option. Besides a cinco de mayo 2013 date, I don't see how they could sell a fight with Guererro. I don't think he's going to retire though, just my opinion. Maybe he'll take the time off and heal up and fight again next May. And I agree with you, he doesn't have to fight that way at all.

He proved that he could still move and box on his toes if he so chooses. Last night he proved that he can fight and be victorious in any style. I think he's better suited to stay at 147 if he decides to continue fighting, which I hope he does. He just doesn't look good at that weight and I think he'll put on a better overall performance if he fights at WW

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 10:33 PM