IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> mayweather vs cotto 2, are the fans interested?
wolterb
post May 11 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #51

Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,770

I'd be interested in the rematch only because it was an entertaining fight. In this day and age though, we aren't gonna get it unless the decision was controversial (and the consensus is that it wasn't).

I personally think that Mayweather could make more interesting matchups, the last of the mohicans statement only makes sense to an extent. There are young dudes who could make things interesting. And i think as Mayweather ages he can promote those types of fights as the Master v. the Grasshopper dynamic.

Back to the topic, I think if a rematch was to happen Cotto should be yelping for it now, and shouldve called for it directly after the fight. He has to make the case in my opinion, especially when the decision was for the most part cut and dry
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 11 2012, 12:05 PM
Post #52

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ May 10 2012, 09:36 PM) *
you may be correct, the one thing I would say is I dont believe Cotto's weight had any factor in the fight with Pac. Cotto is a smaller man that moved to 154, not a larger man who moved down. Secondly watch the fight again v/s Pac. Cotto was not a weight drained fighter laying on the ropes in the later rounds trying to survive (ALA Roy Jones V/S Tarver). Cotto was on his bike running From Manny. Cotto has plenty of energy, he just couldnt land anything eating three shots back in return. Pacs Hand speed was the differance in that fight, it had nothing to do with weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO-euwjleUA

Lastly I am of the opinion that Bradley is under-rated, so you may be correct in him beating Pac

very valid. i'm going to look at the video again.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 11 2012, 12:09 PM
Post #53

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Hotsauce @ May 10 2012, 11:49 PM) *
they can use 10 oz gloves at ww?

also we don't have the ppv numbers yet.

if mayweather/cotto does 1.5 mill or more, i could see floyd asking for a 60/40 split or 55/45 split.

10oz has been regulation at 147 since after the laevander johnson death. nsac did a review and came to the conclusion that welterweights should use 10oz gloves. i believe that rule was waived for the cotto/margarito fight by a request from arum if my memory serves me correctly.

i think when the numbers come in...they're going to realize that a rematch with cotto is in order.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post May 11 2012, 12:53 PM
Post #54

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 11 2012, 09:35 AM) *
I agree with the whole post, and this one sentence sums it up.

140 and up use 10oz gloves.

Thank you. People tend to sweep Team Pacquiao's "rehydration clauses" under the rug for some reason. Hell, I remember him making Oscar come down to 145, then only allowing him to rehydrate 2lbs. He ended up weighing more than Oscar on fight night. WTF? He did similar shit in some of his other fights. I have to find the articles, that's if they haven't been sent to no man's land by now.

+1
Idk how people can forget about these things..
God forbids someone ask for a rehydration clause against a tp fighter like idk rios or chavez

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 11 2012, 01:09 PM
Post #55

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ May 11 2012, 02:28 AM) *
Cotto moved to 147 because of weight issues. Yes he is a small man but he has a thick build, he has always been like that. And when cotto gasses his form of stalling is getting on his bike. Watch his fights, and you factor in the rehydration clause that was in effect, their is no doubt that weight was a factor in that fight. Rumor is he regained 10-15 pounds for the Floyd fight and Floyd lost weight due to some cold (bs or not idk).

But I believe you when you say Bradley is underratted. His biggest asset is that he is really smart, he knows when to be aggressive and when to pick his shots and when to smother. But his wide winging shots are the reason I think pac can hurt him.

the rehydration clause is theory/speculation. it has never been proven. if u can prove otherwise, i'd love to see a source.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 11 2012, 01:13 PM
Post #56

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Franchize @ May 11 2012, 09:26 AM) *
But doesn't the fact that Arum HASN'T done that speak volumes? Say what you will about Floyd's demands but everything he's done has been backed up. We heard from BOTH sides that he made the call to get the fight done. We heard from BOTH sides that he wants drug testing. We know where Floyd stands. Arum doesn't even have the full support of Manny's own team. Alex Ariza is even saying he is the one holding up the fight.

End of the day, anyone can go back and forth about who is in the wrong.Who said what and so on and so forth. One thing that is unquestionably suspect and can't be explained:

Bob Arum said the fight couldn't be made because he needed and outdoor stadium AND Floyd offer was "disrespectful". So why is Manny Pacquiao fighting in the SAME VENUE for half of what Floyd offered him?

checkmate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 11 2012, 01:17 PM
Post #57

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 11 2012, 10:35 AM) *
I agree with the whole post, and this one sentence sums it up.

140 and up use 10oz gloves.

Thank you. People tend to sweep Team Pacquiao's "rehydration clauses" under the rug for some reason. Hell, I remember him making Oscar come down to 145, then only allowing him to rehydrate 2lbs. He ended up weighing more than Oscar on fight night. WTF? He did similar shit in some of his other fights. I have to find the articles, that's if they haven't been sent to no man's land by now.

again with the "rehydrations clauses"? where are u guys getting this stuff? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

i think it's 147 and above that uses 10oz gloves.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post May 11 2012, 01:22 PM
Post #58

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 11 2012, 01:17 PM) *
again with the "rehydrations clauses"? where are u guys getting this stuff? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

i think it's 147 and above that uses 10oz gloves.

I'm sure I could find plenty of sources but idk why that would ne necessary they have mentioned it in hbo live plenty of times..

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 11 2012, 01:22 PM
Post #59

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 11 2012, 10:41 AM) *
With all of this said, Cotto is a "lazy welterweight" as it's been mentioned numerous times. As for the "big fight", we will have to see what the numbers look like. Oh boy, wouldn't it be a shame if Mayweather/Cotto did over 1.4M???

So, if Mayweather/Cotto did over 1.4M buys and Mayweather also making $32 (guaranteed), which is the highest guaranteed purse in the history of the sport...then where does that leave room for any negotiation leverage on Arum's side? Looks like Manny will need Floyd before Floyd needs Manny.

I just dont see how you can be an 8-division champion, loved by the world, be the fighter of the decade along with having a trainer of the year (for consecutive years), and still make less money, compared to a guy that the world either hates, or loves to hate, makes the most. I'm still scratching my head over here...

i think it's going to crack 1.4. if so...the rematch will definitely be an option. floyd should do it in nyc just to sell out the garden....and give it a historical feel. has floyd ever fought at the garden? roy has...bhop has....trinidad has...all the greats do!!! it's time for floyd to take on the garden!!!

pac is going to have zero leverage after the bradley fight.

i can see how the 8 division champion makes less....he has a lot of ppl who do their best to make sure the circumstances are tilted in his favor...they all need to be compensated.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 11 2012, 01:25 PM
Post #60

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (wolterb @ May 11 2012, 11:27 AM) *
I'd be interested in the rematch only because it was an entertaining fight. In this day and age though, we aren't gonna get it unless the decision was controversial (and the consensus is that it wasn't).

I personally think that Mayweather could make more interesting matchups, the last of the mohicans statement only makes sense to an extent. There are young dudes who could make things interesting. And i think as Mayweather ages he can promote those types of fights as the Master v. the Grasshopper dynamic.

Back to the topic, I think if a rematch was to happen Cotto should be yelping for it now, and shouldve called for it directly after the fight. He has to make the case in my opinion, especially when the decision was for the most part cut and dry

i think at this point they're waiting to see the numbers and the outcome of pac/bradley. u don't want to play ur cards too soon. i get it. also, i think they need to do the rematch precisely because it was entertaining. i think controversy is bad for the sport....and in those cases...i really don't care for the rematch.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 02:14 AM