Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Andre Berto tests positive. Failed both samples
HaydelHammer
post May 18 2012, 03:56 PM
Post #1

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 128

Former welterweight titleholder Andre Berto has tested positive for a banned substance, putting his scheduled June 23 rematch with fellow former titlist Victor Ortiz in jeopardy.

Berto tested positive for the steroid norandrosterone, a source with direct knowledge of the test results told ESPN.com on Friday.

Promoter Lou DiBella told ESPN.com he was unsure of what Berto tested positive for but confirmed the result.

"I know he tested positive. I learned it in the last half-hour," DiBella said. "I have nothing else to say. I don't know all of the details, so I have nothing else to say."

Ortiz and Berto had agreed to use the Las Vegas-based Voluntary Anti-Doping Association for random blood and urine testing in the lead up to their fight at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Showtime had made the bout the centerpiece of its boxing schedule for the first half of the year.

Showtime is proceeding as though the fight will be canceled. A network source told ESPN.com that Showtime is already discussing with Golden Boy Promotions about possible replacement opponents to face Ortiz.

Berto submitted to a random urine test May 2, according to the source. The "A" test came back positive last week. The "B" sample also came back positive Friday, triggering VADA to alert the California State Athletic Commission, DiBella and Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer, Ortiz's promoter.

In April 2011, Ortiz outslugged Berto to win a welterweight title in one of the year's most exciting fights. The rematch was supposed to take place Feb. 11 in Las Vegas, but Berto suffered a biceps injury, forcing the postponement to June 23.

This is the second high-profile positive drug test in the past two weeks. Junior welterweight titlist Lamont Peterson tested positive for synthetic testosterone following a March 19 random test in the lead up to his rematch with Amir Khan. They were scheduled to meet Saturday night in Las Vegas, but the fight was canceled last week.

ESPN - BOXING

Failed both samples...commission wasn't informed of any doctor issued meds (same as peterson) I'm sure. Floyd looking more and more like a winner in his efforts to force testing across the board.

..and berto tried to say Ortiz was dirty (which I'm sure he did cycle) so he goes and tries to run a cycle..timed it wrong and got caught. Morons.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post May 18 2012, 04:40 PM
Post #2

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,594

This is honestly a crying shame

+Quote Post
thefloatingmonke...
post May 18 2012, 04:52 PM
Post #3

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 4,046

Boxing has really been sucking this year.

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post May 18 2012, 04:54 PM
Post #4

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,355

Oh man...not Berto, take Ortiz...not Berto...

Floyd's got a point.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post May 18 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #5

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I always kinda thought both guys could be roiding. They both fit the mold.
Damn shame. I wanted to see this fight more than the Pacquiao vs Bradley fight.
Huge back n traps on these guys. Cant say Im surprised.
So is Pacquiao vs Bradley the only upcoming major boxing match NOT using OSDT?

This post has been edited by Franchize: May 18 2012, 05:09 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post May 18 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Droppin' like flies, I tell ya...

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post May 18 2012, 05:18 PM
Post #7

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

Here's the dreaded question: Who's next?

+Quote Post
flazi
post May 18 2012, 05:25 PM
Post #8

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,846

could be something he took that he thought was safe. Lots of supplements are tainted with metabolites of deca.

+Quote Post
HaydelHammer
post May 18 2012, 05:52 PM
Post #9

Welterweight

Member No.: 128

QUOTE (flazi @ May 18 2012, 06:25 PM) *
could be something he took that he thought was safe. Lots of supplements are tainted with metabolites of deca.

there are two samples A and B taken....you fail A..you are informed (now is your time to turn over your supplements list, MEDS...etc)....fail B and still have no list of things you have taken....not a good look. These guys are given a chance to spill the beans.

Roy tested positive, admitted he took over the counter (Ripped Fuel at the time..I took the same shit) and passed other test afterwards. It's really that simple. Just admit what you took if it's over the counter.

These guys know they are already skating on a thin line. Why risk anything inside your body outside of protein shakes and vitamins is beyond me.

This post has been edited by HaydelHammer: May 18 2012, 05:52 PM

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post May 18 2012, 06:00 PM
Post #10

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,604

Another good fight down the drain. Berto wanted out of this fight so he pulled a Lamont

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 08:00 PM