> Tarver test positive, Anabolic steroid
boxingloner
post Jun 29 2012, 01:26 PM
Post #81

Junior Flyweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 13,707

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 29 2012, 10:50 AM) *
Honestly my man, you're fighting an uphill battle. You make some pretty good points, but again, you're fighting an uphill battle. Point is, boxing is better off with no leadership, than the shitty example of what we witness today.

No way in hell we can have a clean sport, and I've learned to accept that. Does that make me a fucked up fan? Depends. I know that Im not wasting my breath on things that wont change, especially when there's money involved...money that I dont have to make a difference.

I know this all sounds bad, but it's the truth. As a boxing fan, you have to be okay with what's given to you, or make lemonade when they give you lemons (so to speak). I use that analogy for bad matchups or not-so-great matchups. As for the sport being clean, again, when people in the background are getting a cut (money) of the action, then there's not much we can do.

Kill me for using this example, but here we go. Imagine if Manny was using, do you honestly think anyone would blow the whistle? I use Manny as an example because so many people make money off him, the same can be said about Floyd as well. Difference is, there are people making money off of Manny, and he either doesn't know, or has came to the conclusion that he cant do much. Sad, but true...

Now, who in the hell is going to speak up about when they can make thousands of dollars under the table? That goes for refs, officials, ring doctors, etc. If those guys are getting broke off let's say, anywhere from $10-$15k more than what they're used to getting when Manny fights, then whose really going to spill the beans? Manny cant fight forever, and it may very well be a loooong time before fighters generate that much money and even the crumb-snatchers of the show can get a cut.

I love boxing so much and it's been my favorite sport ever since I witness my first live fight(Chacon vs limon, an all time classic) at the memorial auditorium in sacramento. Through the years Boxing has changed but it has alsostayed the same for many years. It will always be about the money, how every sport is. I think the biggest change boxing needs is a universally national commission. Where it regulates everything from proper drug testing to the ranking of fighters. I know boxing will never be perfect and there will be some kind of corruption somewhere but to just accept that what we have now is what we have is the reason boxing isnt what it used to be. Lots and lots of people who used to watch boxing and follow it religiously ain't there. And for boxing that sucks. That's tons of revenue lost(millions and millions). Change can happen and it won't be easy but having a universal commission that regulates testing and rankings would be a big boost to the fan base and to the revenue.

Sorry for getting off topic. But fuck all drugs in boxing. No need for it period.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jun 29 2012, 01:44 PM
Post #82

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

What would boxing be without corruption and confusion? That's what it's been built on since day 1. You're right, if there isn't a universal commission , then forget about it, not much order will be either established or maintained.

To the folks in the boxing business, they view promoters as the end-all be-all in the sport, since they're the ones that sign the fighters and build them up. Without the fighters, there wouldn't be promoters, managers, hell...there would be no boxing.

As for this testing, I wouldn't count on it. The only thing one could hope, is that they're favorite fighters isn't caught with it, or isn't effected by it due to damage sustained from the roided fighter. This is a "get in & get out" business (for the fighters and everyone else involved), as well the "hurt business".

You have to make as much money as possible while gambling your life away for 3 minutes at a time. When your career ends (on your terms or abruptly), you still have to look at yourself in the mirror and evaluate whether or not you got the short end of the stick.

+Quote Post
boxingloner
post Jun 29 2012, 02:39 PM
Post #83

Junior Flyweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 13,707

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 29 2012, 11:44 AM) *
What would boxing be without corruption and confusion? That's what it's been built on since day 1. You're right, if there isn't a universal commission , then forget about it, not much order will be either established or maintained.

What would boxing be without corruption? Well it would be a much better sport and its fanbase would be much much bigger. Where could it be without corruption? I think it could be much popular and it would have tons and tons more money. With more fans comes more and with more money we wouldnt be losing fighters to other sports or other professions to make a living. People aint going to follow a sport they cant trust and right now people dont trust boxing. If you go around to your average sport fan today and ask if they trust boxing as a sport they would more than likely say hell no. They would say boxing sucks, and thats sad because boxing is the ultimate man vs man test. If there was corruption in the NFL, do you think it would still be the most popular sport in america? I think not. If anybody has any integrity then they would want honest and clean sports.

Plus if boxing fans are going to say corruption is what boxing is about, then why push for PED testing? Since it is all cheating. Corruption and cheatting go hand in hand.

This post has been edited by boxingloner: Jun 29 2012, 02:41 PM

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 12:47 AM