IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Showtime is "Showing up"...HBO fakes it 'til they make it., Comparison...
The Original MrF...
post Jun 27 2012, 07:04 PM
Post #11

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,309

Great Post. I've been saying this for a few years now. Showtimes fights have trumped HBO over the last few years. the super 6 alone trumped HBO in 2010, 11. Now all HBO does is bank on Pacquiao and Mayweather PPV's. Couldn't they have made some better fights in the last year. How bout pair up your new starts like Alvarez, Chavez Jr with guys who have a pulse. Its time to step up. Showtime missed the boast on Bute/Froch, but they've generally have been spot on.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 27 2012, 07:08 PM
Post #12

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (trickster @ Jun 27 2012, 05:58 PM) *
While it can be argued that in the last 2-3 yrs sho has done a betyter job of getting good competitive fights, the above statement is not and was never true. Czyz could be OK but ferdie half the time wold be saying the wrong fighters name.

HBO always had better production. And back in the day of Czyz and pacheco it was sho that was locked into long term non competitive fights with Don King.

Lets not rewrite history.

ok....how's this

czyz >>> merchant/lampley

pacheco is past it....and he may have got their names mixed up....but he actually knew boxing. i can't say the same for jim and larry. they have sucked hard since the late 90's.

production aside....hbo now sucks.

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Jun 27 2012, 10:07 PM
Post #13

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

showtime>>>>hbo

+Quote Post
trickster
post Jun 29 2012, 05:06 PM
Post #14

Amateur

Member No.: 13,547

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 27 2012, 08:08 PM) *
ok....how's this

czyz >>> merchant/lampley

pacheco is past it....and he may have got their names mixed up....but he actually knew boxing. i can't say the same for jim and larry. they have sucked hard since the late 90's.

production aside....hbo now sucks.

Im sorry but pacheco didnt have much love at the time because he WAS past it, watch the tapes. and although I liked czyz he was also a fanboy. remember he had tyson winning against holy when he was KOd. cant get worse than that.

+Quote Post
Thickback
post Jun 30 2012, 08:08 AM
Post #15

Strawweight

Member No.: 12,355

I've been saying for some time that Showtime is showing up HBO. Larry Merchant needs to retire and never be behind any mic ever again. He can completely ruin a good fight with his expectations of "drama" in every fight. Their hate for Floyd Mayweather completely rutned me off to the team of Jim, Larry and Emmanuel. Roy and Max are the only two I can I like, although as of late, Manny has been much better, (and typically is better than Jim and Larry but joins in their hate trains some times). But the Nuthuggery is definitely where shit gets out of hand.

Anywho, Showtime's fights have more than lived up to the hype and their only blunders in the last few years is....

1. The presentation of the Super Six trophy to Andrew Ward....wtf was that????
2. Screwing themselves out of Froch/Bute!!!! That should have been a nationally televised ass whooping!!!! I had to watch the fight online the next day on my phone!!!! wtf....

+Quote Post
trickster
post Jun 30 2012, 10:02 AM
Post #16

Amateur

Member No.: 13,547

QUOTE (Thickback @ Jun 30 2012, 09:08 AM) *
Larry Merchant needs to retire

I actually have come to like larry over the years. He is a blood and guts guy, thats OK. I think floyd is a little overly dramatic. If he answered the critisizm in a clear confident way he could turn it around. Instead he comes off as a self important child.

Jim at times is a good blow by blow man and certainly has the voice. As of late his enthusiasm for the house fighters has gotten the best of him. Someone higher up needs to have a talk w him about keeping his emotions, at least to a point, in check.

Every announcer has their strengths and weaknesses. Bernstein for all his knowledge of the sport can be a bit monotone and has always had the critisizm that he acts that if any fighter did exactly as he wishes they would have the fight won.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jul 1 2012, 02:21 AM
Post #17

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (trickster @ Jun 30 2012, 10:02 AM) *
I actually have come to like Larry over the years. He is a blood and guts guy, thats OK. I think Floyd is a little overly dramatic. If he answered the criticism in a clear confident way he could turn it around. Instead he comes off as a self important child.

Jim at times is a good blow by blow man and certainly has the voice. As of late his enthusiasm for the house fighters has gotten the best of him. Someone higher up needs to have a talk w him about keeping his emotions, at least to a point, in check.

Every announcer has their strengths and weaknesses. Bernstein for all his knowledge of the sport can be a bit monotone and has always had the criticism that he acts that if any fighter did exactly as he wishes they would have the fight won.

I think that Lamply's over-emotional love for the HBO contracted "house fighter" has gotten worse over the last 10 years. But remember that Howard Cosell who was never really a "boxing fan" got into boxing IMO because of Ali and Leonard. Howard's interest and followship of the sport for Ali and Leonard, is sort of like Lamply's pom-poms over the years for Delahoya, Jones, Mayweather, Gatti, and now Pacquiao.

Lamply's natural excitement for example in Ward-Gatti's trilogy and so many of the other Boxing After Dark wars from the mid 1990's- to early 2000's was Lamply at his best. Do you guys think that there was a point in time when the genuine excitement that Lamply had started to turn into House Fighter cheerleading? I think it probably began around the time that Delahoya was still fighting non-PPV on HBO. I can't remember the exact fight, but there was a post-fight interview where Delahoya was grinning and Lamply just looked like this "silly little high school girl that just got asked to Senior Prom by the football team captain when Oscar was talking."

But I still stand firm to the belief that when Lou Dibella was matchmaking at HBO, the pom-poming was OK because those original B.A.D fights were some of the most two-sided matches you will ever see! When Lou left, I think someone told the production crew that business-wise they could build up a house fighter to a marquee level, by feeding him lessor competition on HBO. The two-sided classic wars went to HBO PPV, and some of the not-so-good fights went to PPV because the house stars demanded it and HBO catered to them. Remember Delahoya-Campas? Or even the non-PPV but disgraceful Jones-Frazier farce? That was under Lou Dibella. I remember contacted Lou about why HBO would stoop so low as to show Jones-Frazier? And Lou was embarrassed for himself and the network, he said that Roy had a pick and choose contract for opponents that forced HBO to show whatever guys he wanted to fight.

Than after that, Roy left and formed Square Ring, putting his own fights on PPV which bombed. I am not sure, but I think Kery Davis came in around this time, and they got Roy back for more fights, or where those PPV just under the HBO banner? I can't remember. The point is that in recent years, HBO management forced the commentators to start thinking that the marquee fighter against lesser competition is more important than a two-sided fight against guys that nobody knows about. And to this day, (with few exceptions) they have kept that business model intact, even in some cases for PPV's.

Jack

+Quote Post
fightscoreollect...
post Jul 1 2012, 10:50 AM
Post #18

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,394

I also think recently that SHO have been better than HBO. Al Bernstein i think is teh best boxing guy out there WHY?.....he doesnt need to be controversial or nuthug a home fighter.

He is honest and praises both fighters...if they deserve it.

We are lucky here in the UK that we have him for Channel 5 fights although i do wonder what he thinks of the set-up as the rest of the team i dont think are very good. Bernstein steals the show every time.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 04:00 AM