IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> rigondeaux, moreno, mares, russell, agbeko, donaire...., until they fight each other...
boxingloner
post Jul 2 2012, 09:15 PM
Post #21

Junior Flyweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 13,707

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 2 2012, 06:46 PM) *
don't take my word. freddie roach had very high praise for him and said that there is nothing he could teach rigondeaux. he also said he learned from rigo. that's very high praise from a guy who trains pac and had james toney.

i've been in the gym my whole life and have seen some great fighters spar over the years. sure....sparring is one thing...but u know when its more than just sparring.

So since you been in and out of gyms for part of your 20'years of life that gives you knowledge that other boxing fans don't have? I've been in boxing gyms in and out for 25+years but that don't mean shit. I've seen some of the best that Sacramento have to offer.
Don't tell me you are one of those types that thinks because he has been in gyms he knows more than everyone else. For all those years that I've been in them there are tons of people who know more than me, and that's including the ones who never stepped foot in a gym.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jul 2 2012, 09:23 PM
Post #22

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

When it comes to your favorite sport...NO ONE knows more than you...that's how it goes. Nobody lets up, it just goes on and on. I know a guy who played in the CFL (Canadian Football League) for 5 years and 1 year in the NFL, and he told me straight up..."I dont care if a muthafucka has been playing football all his life or retired from the pros...he'll never know more about football than me". Sounds like this is what's going here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
boxingloner
post Jul 3 2012, 09:10 AM
Post #23

Junior Flyweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 2 2012, 07:23 PM) *
When it comes to your favorite sport...NO ONE knows more than you...that's how it goes. Nobody lets up, it just goes on and on. I know a guy who played in the CFL (Canadian Football League) for 5 years and 1 year in the NFL, and he told me straight up..."I dont care if a muthafucka has been playing football all his life or retired from the pros...he'll never know more about football than me". Sounds like this is what's going here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

So in other words your friend sounds like a real asshole. Im sure your buddy knows a lot but prolly trying to talk to him about football is prolly like pulling teeth because he's a legend in his own mind. I guess everybody can't have the humble gene. Lol

Anyways what bugs the shit out of me is when you have these guys who say they have graced the boxing gym and used to box so that makes them a boxing expert. I've graced the gym for years but I'll tell you the truth there are tons more people that know more than me who have never boxed. The worse saying in boxing is the "you have never stepped in a ring so you don't know shit". That's got to be the most stupidest saying in boxing.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jul 3 2012, 09:58 AM
Post #24

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (boxingloner @ Jul 3 2012, 10:10 AM) *
So in other words your friend sounds like a real asshole. Im sure your buddy knows a lot but prolly trying to talk to him about football is prolly like pulling teeth because he's a legend in his own mind. I guess everybody can't have the humble gene. Lol

Anyways what bugs the shit out of me is when you have these guys who say they have graced the boxing gym and used to box so that makes them a boxing expert. I've graced the gym for years but I'll tell you the truth there are tons more people that know more than me who have never boxed. The worse saying in boxing is the "you have never stepped in a ring so you don't know shit". That's got to be the most stupidest saying in boxing.

I agree. I respect those who have either been through stages of life that I have never experienced or those who have gone further down that particular path. With that said, some do take that experience and put on the "expert hat". Not a knock against anybody here though...but I know a few people in the real world who act that way. I have the utmost respect for those who do things the long way rather than cutting corners.

Anyway, those phrases such as, "If you've never been in the ring, then you dont know the sport", have put folks in a fucked up mindset to say the least. Its mostly true, but who knows who has actually been in the gym or not? The phrase, "Most people dont know shit about boxing" has to hold the most truth, as evidenced by the conversations that we have on the board (good discussions) and most of the casual fans in the real world who actually attempt to discuss it.

+Quote Post
boxingloner
post Jul 3 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #25

Junior Flyweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 3 2012, 07:58 AM) *
I agree. I respect those who have either been through stages of life that I have never experienced or those who have gone further down that particular path. With that said, some do take that experience and put on the "expert hat". Not a knock against anybody here though...but I know a few people in the real world who act that way. I have the utmost respect for those who do things the long way rather than cutting corners.

Anyway, those phrases such as, "If you've never been in the ring, then you dont know the sport", have put folks in a fucked up mindset to say the least. Its mostly true, but who knows who has actually been in the gym or not? The phrase, "Most people dont know shit about boxing" has to hold the most truth, as evidenced by the conversations that we have on the board (good discussions) and most of the casual fans in the real world who actually attempt to discuss it.

Yea, those phrases has got to be the dumbest statement ever. And they are not true. You don't nessasarily have to step in the ring to know what's going on. It all about analyzing a situation. If you follow boxing and know how to analye things then you know what's going on. In court does a judge and jury need to have commiteed a crime to know how bad it is, or how it happened?

Anyways the other things that bugs me is this casual fan vs die hard fan bs. I've followed boxing for over 30 years and in the 80's and 90's was a true die hard. I never missed a fight. Nowadays I just follow fights the I think are worth it and I'll tell you what, it ain't much as i find boxing lacks heart, skill and true grit these days and lots of top guys don't fight each other? Does that make me a casual fan now and do the diehards of today know more about boxing than me. The way I see it, a fan is a fan. Boxing needs any fans they can get, casual or diehards. But to say a diehard knows more a out boxing than a casual fan is bs in my mind. And the saying "most people don't know shit about boxing" what the fuck does that mean. What is it that everyone doesnt know? I don't get it. Ever since that crack pot Roger mayweather said that lots of people throw that around? What is it about boxing that people dont get?

+Quote Post
Kratza
post Jul 3 2012, 12:07 PM
Post #26

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,360

QUOTE (boxingloner @ Jul 2 2012, 11:27 PM) *
What are you smoking? Arce and Russell in the top 3 ahead of Moreno, Mares and Donaire? Dont get me wrong i love watching Arce fight as he is an animal and he never dissapoints, but Russell is just a contender/prospect. Russell does has some real potential but the dude is fighting girls/club fighters right now. I know its hard not to fall in love with his speed but fight someone with a pulse and then we can talk.

As i said, i cant comment on Moreno and Mares as i haven't seen them fight. Donaire is nothing special, Arce is a fighter and a warrior and i believe he is better than Donaire. Russell Jr has the most talent on potential of all of them in my eyes but as you've said he hasn't fought anybody, Juanma is a let down, i'd like to see him fight Gamboa or Mikey Garcia next

+Quote Post
boxingloner
post Jul 3 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #27

Junior Flyweight

QUOTE (Kratza @ Jul 3 2012, 10:07 AM) *
As i said, i cant comment on Moreno and Mares as i haven't seen them fight. Donaire is nothing special, Arce is a fighter and a warrior and i believe he is better than Donaire. Russell Jr has the most talent on potential of all of them in my eyes but as you've said he hasn't fought anybody, Juanma is a let down, i'd like to see him fight Gamboa or Mikey Garcia next

Yea I understand that you are in awe of Russells speed and Arces warrior mentality. They
Are fun to watch. But if you haven't seem most of the fighters in the division fight then how in the hell can you have a ranking of that division.

If Russell can take a punch as good as he gives, which I 100% believe he can't, then we might have something on our hands here. But we will never know until he fights someone with a heartbeat and some real talent.

+Quote Post
Kratza
post Jul 3 2012, 01:59 PM
Post #28

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,360

QUOTE (boxingloner @ Jul 3 2012, 06:45 PM) *
Yea I understand that you are in awe of Russells speed and Arces warrior mentality. They
Are fun to watch. But if you haven't seem most of the fighters in the division fight then how in the hell can you have a ranking of that division.

If Russell can take a punch as good as he gives, which I 100% believe he can't, then we might have something on our hands here. But we will never know until he fights someone with a heartbeat and some real talent.

It's a ranking out of the fighters i've seen in that division.

How can you 100% believe he can't take a punch when we've never witnessed him take a good punch

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 3 2012, 02:05 PM
Post #29

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (boxingloner @ Jul 2 2012, 10:15 PM) *
So since you been in and out of gyms for part of your 20'years of life that gives you knowledge that other boxing fans don't have? I've been in boxing gyms in and out for 25+years but that don't mean shit. I've seen some of the best that Sacramento have to offer.
Don't tell me you are one of those types that thinks because he has been in gyms he knows more than everyone else. For all those years that I've been in them there are tons of people who know more than me, and that's including the ones who never stepped foot in a gym.

i guess u missed the part where i said "don't take my word..."

you are right....being in gyms doesn't mean a damn thing. being a student and a teacher for 35+yrs does. i've trained/trained with...world champions, olympians, worldclass trainers....i've been around the world with boxing. i don't think i know more than most.....i know, i know more than most. it's not cockiness...it's confidence. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) experience is the best teacher.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 3 2012, 02:06 PM
Post #30

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 2 2012, 10:23 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 07:41 AM