IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> should hbo just reel in jim lampley, or get rid of him altogether?
Jack 1000
post Mar 25 2013, 02:11 PM
Post #91

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Some people claimed that Larry Merchant was a Howard Cosell wanna be. Maybe so. But I think that Cosell always brought out the pom poms for Ali and Leonard, but not as much when other fighters were fighting. But seriously, if Ali or Leonard took a shit, Cosell would be there to showcase it.

Lamply USED to be good fifteen years ago. But now it's like he never says anything negative about the HBO contracted fighter and would even bring out the pom-poms if one of their house fighters took a shit. Cosell did it for Ali and Leonard. Lamps does it for ANY "house fighter" on HBO.

Why can't boxing just go back to one guy calling the fights like Don Dunphy did in boxing's broadcast haydey? Lamply and HBO have at least four to six people on every telecast. I believe three is a crowd and six is a mob.

Do you guys think Lamply is doing the pom-poming on his own, or is someone at HBO guiding him? Who? Let's see how much his commentary might change with the big name fighters at HBO moving to Showtime.

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 25 2013, 04:01 PM
Post #92

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 25 2013, 03:11 PM) *
Some people claimed that Larry Merchant was a Howard Cosell wanna be. Maybe so. But I think that Cosell always brought out the pom poms for Ali and Leonard, but not as much when other fighters were fighting. But seriously, if Ali or Leonard took a shit, Cosell would be there to showcase it.

Lamply USED to be good fifteen years ago. But now it's like he never says anything negative about the HBO contracted fighter and would even bring out the pom-poms if one of their house fighters took a shit. Cosell did it for Ali and Leonard. Lamps does it for ANY "house fighter" on HBO.

Why can't boxing just go back to one guy calling the fights like Don Dunphy did in boxing's broadcast haydey? Lamply and HBO have at least four to six people on every telecast. I believe three is a crowd and six is a mob.

Do you guys think Lamply is doing the pom-poming on his own, or is someone at HBO guiding him? Who? Let's see how much his commentary might change with the big name fighters at HBO moving to Showtime.

Jack

i'm convinced there is some dumb ass that is directing the ass clowns from the ear piece. i think they all have their heads up their asses. i used to like kellerman but he's become merchant jr. lampley has been bad since the days of de la hoya. it's time for new blood there. i've heard that george foreman is coming back. that is good news. i enjoy roy jones and andre ward. a two man team is enough. they need a guy ringside and a guy to go into the ring after the fights.

on a side note...this thread should be pinned until they get rid of lampley. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Mar 25 2013, 05:24 PM
Post #93

The Consultant

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 25 2013, 04:01 PM) *
i'm convinced there is some dumb ass that is directing the ass clowns from the ear piece. i think they all have their heads up their asses. i used to like kellerman but he's become merchant jr. lampley has been bad since the days of de la hoya. it's time for new blood there. i've heard that george foreman is coming back. that is good news. i enjoy roy jones and andre ward. a two man team is enough. they need a guy ringside and a guy to go into the ring after the fights.

on a side note...this thread should be pinned until they get rid of lampley. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

LOL!!! Pin the thread till they get rid of Lamply! No, we only do the pin-ups for round by round stuff and important site issues. However, I agree. Forman and Merchant are coming back on that HBO 2 card from China, and Tim Ryan, who used to do color commentary for CBS. I would like to see Lamply retired, seriously. Comments about Kellerman as Mrchant Jr. are brilliant!

Jack

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 25 2013, 07:34 PM
Post #94

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 25 2013, 05:01 PM) *

That shit will be pinned up forever...JUST because we want to see him go so bad. It may outlive the Mayweather/Pacquiao megathread.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Mar 26 2013, 01:41 PM
Post #95

The Consultant

The thng is though if HBO seriously gets rid of Lamply, what's to stop another HBO pom-pom shaking commentator from taking his place? For the last 15 years or so, I believe that HBO had a agenda, I would suspect, started by Ross Greenberg where they wanted to build "stars." That's why they "went Ga-Ga " even when Roy Jones fought a school teacher or garbageman. I believe that Mr. Greenberg saw the fighter as the star himself and that was more important than the most two-sided competitive fights. The most two-sided competitive fights were due to Lou Dibella's brain-trust at the network with the development of the HBO ORIGINAL Boxing After Dark Series that all but guaranteed thrilling matches that were by all accounts, jaw-dropping amazing.

Lou Dibella is a boxing man. Ross Greenberg is a business man, and somewhere between Lou leaving HBO the network gradually transcended into "build a star" against C+ competition and establish long term relationship promotional contracts with the promoter allowing the HBO fighter to do what he wanted, when he wanted, and how he wanted. In Lamply's defense, the pom-pom shaking was not all his fault. It was a bi-product of the system.

If Jim was under a knowledgeable boxing department at HBO, he could be "reeled in." and I would be happy if he stayed. However, Dibella isn't there anymore, and even Ross Greenberg who started the "build a star" against C grade fighters is now over at Showtime thanks to the Mayweather deal.

Jim represents the bigger problem of HBO, who has a pom-pom shaking agenda for the star fighter, regardless of opposition. Remember, early Jim Lamply was not like that. He could have changed, but political and personnel changes in the shell of what used to be a great boxing department, in addition to Jim's advancing age, have basically forced him into a "build a star" mode at HBO for the rest of his tenure with them. Max Kellerman will just become the new pom-pom shaker when Jim retires from HBO.

In thinking about this more, it's not Jim that is so much the problem, it's the business management system at HBO with how fighters are promoted and marketed in the present day.

Jack

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 26 2013, 02:17 PM
Post #96

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 26 2013, 02:41 PM) *
The thng is though if HBO seriously gets rid of Lamply, what's to stop another HBO pom-pom shaking commentator from taking his place? For the last 15 years or so, I believe that HBO had a agenda, I would suspect, started by Ross Greenberg where they wanted to build "stars." That's why they "went Ga-Ga " even when Roy Jones fought a school teacher or garbageman. I believe that Mr. Greenberg saw the fighter as the star himself and that was more important than the most two-sided competitive fights. The most two-sided competitive fights were due to Lou Dibella's brain-trust at the network with the development of the HBO ORIGINAL Boxing After Dark Series that all but guaranteed thrilling matches that were by all accounts, jaw-dropping amazing.

Lou Dibella is a boxing man. Ross Greenberg is a business man, and somewhere between Lou leaving HBO the network gradually transcended into "build a star" against C+ competition and establish long term relationship promotional contracts with the promoter allowing the HBO fighter to do what he wanted, when he wanted, and how he wanted. In Lamply's defense, the pom-pom shaking was not all his fault. It was a bi-product of the system.

If Jim was under a knowledgeable boxing department at HBO, he could be "reeled in." and I would be happy if he stayed. However, Dibella isn't there anymore, and even Ross Greenberg who started the "build a star" against C grade fighters is now over at Showtime thanks to the Mayweather deal.

Jim represents the bigger problem of HBO, who has a pom-pom shaking agenda for the star fighter, regardless of opposition. Remember, early Jim Lamply was not like that. He could have changed, but political and personnel changes in the shell of what used to be a great boxing department, in addition to Jim's advancing age, have basically forced him into a "build a star" mode at HBO for the rest of his tenure with them. Max Kellerman will just become the new pom-pom shaker when Jim retires from HBO.

In thinking about this more, it's not Jim that is so much the problem, it's the business management system at HBO with how fighters are promoted and marketed in the present day.

Jack

i hear what you are saying and i do not agree. jim and larry have a disdain for fighters. i hear it in the words they say...i see it in the interviews. there is a pompousness about them that does not belong in my beloved sport. the build-a-star movement didn't start with greenburg. he wasn't in place when larry started his love affairs with the arturo gatti's of boxing. he wasn't the boss when larry was shitting on good fighters either. jim, larry and now max are a cancer that should be removed. they don't even realize how they hurt the sport. they think they are everything that is right with the sport. i don't tune in to see jim, larry or max. i tune in to see the fighters fight.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Mar 26 2013, 02:45 PM
Post #97

The Consultant

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 26 2013, 02:17 PM) *
i hear what you are saying and i do not agree. jim and larry have a disdain for fighters. i hear it in the words they say...i see it in the interviews. there is a pompousness about them that does not belong in my beloved sport. the build-a-star movement didn't start with greenburg. he wasn't in place when larry started his love affairs with the arturo gatti's of boxing. he wasn't the boss when larry was shitting on good fighters either. jim, larry and now max are a cancer that should be removed. they don't even realize how they hurt the sport. they think they are everything that is right with the sport. i don't tune in to see jim, larry or max. i tune in to see the fighters fight.

Interesting!

You're take is than when Larry started praising the brawlers and the sluggers, Jim also expanded on that idea, and in their commentary over time, the general public got to perceive that boxers who were masterful at their craft and skilled in defense were "boring." And fighters who had tremendous records and longevity with the sport like the Klitschko brothers weren't good enough for HBO, because dominance be damned according to HBO execs, especially in the case of Wlad, he keeps winning, but he's not exciting, so did Jim and Larry create this perception of in their minds that if two guys aren't in there ripping their heads off, it's not a good fight?

I agree you could say yes with regards to that question with Merchant in later years. He was BORED with scientific boxers, and boxers HAD to have a war in order for Larry to want to be there. But Lamply, he had a love relationship with Roy Jones regardless of opponent and Delahoya, regardless of opponent, so I think there are some differences there. I know Larry never got along well with Hopkins, and the same with Floyd and he. Merchant, I think will more or less speak his mind. Lamply will speak more on what the network wants him to say. Now, with Merchant gone, Max is trying to be Larry with the questions, controversy, and control. He's not Larry, and doesn't have Larry's experience, but I think he's just glad he found a home. Max is going to do what HBO wants him to do, because he doesn't have the longevity in the business to say "no" to higher-ups. HBO knows that if they can get Max shaking the pom-poms for the house fighter enough, there will be a smoother transition, which I think the network could look to replace Lamply with Kellerman.

You know, appeal to the younger demographic. And getting the younger demographic excited, it could be theorized that they would rather see brawls than boxing. HBO's looking for new blood and ratings appeal after losing Floyd and Oscar in promotions. The model may not work, but I can see what HBO is doing here.

Jack

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Mar 26 2013, 02:51 PM
Post #98

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

Lamps does a terrible job of commentating when he tries to call punches that he ASSume are landing and therefore he should just shut up about that part, however he does have a way of collectively putting together words and not in a Shakesperian way that the old Boozeheaded Merchant does that seems to capture the moment.

I like the way Lamps called the Hopkins fight when he said "This is cold, clinical performance by a true professional fighter, Hopkins".

Merchant would've tried to jazz up that same comment by saying something like this: "Hopkins is an ol fox chasin a mouse who is trying to get the cheese" or something even more Shakesperian like "a bloody good fight deserves a bloody good glass of wine, Hopkins is that 1814 Merlot".

I say that HBO (Hate Bruthas Only) should've canned Merchant a long time ago and move Max Kellerman into the color commentary role as the lead, he doesn't tend to hate and keeps his assessment of what the fighters are doing to an even keel most of the time.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Mar 26 2013, 03:27 PM
Post #99

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 26 2013, 03:51 PM) *
Lamps does a terrible job of commentating when he tries to call punches that he ASSume are landing and therefore he should just shut up about that part, however he does have a way of collectively putting together words and not in a Shakesperian way that the old Boozeheaded Merchant does that seems to capture the moment.

I like the way Lamps called the Hopkins fight when he said "This is cold, clinical performance by a true professional fighter, Hopkins".

Merchant would've tried to jazz up that same comment by saying something like this: "Hopkins is an ol fox chasin a mouse who is trying to get the cheese" or something even more Shakesperian like "a bloody good fight deserves a bloody good glass of wine, Hopkins is that 1814 Merlot".

I say that HBO (Hate Bruthas Only) should've canned Merchant a long time ago and move Max Kellerman into the color commentary role as the lead, he doesn't tend to hate and keeps his assessment of what the fighters are doing to an even keel most of the time.

He does have some very nice quotes he shoots out every once and a while.

"Fighting Floyd mayweather is a cold dose of reality" one of my favorites
Also when berto and ortiz had their round 6 him and Emanuels excitement and screaming was so genuine it gave me goosebumps lol. They have some decent one liners every once in a while

Maxs "we just saw a very good young fighter lose to a great old fighter" is a good one also from marquez diaz 1

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 26 2013, 04:09 PM
Post #100

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 26 2013, 03:45 PM) *
Interesting!

You're take is than when Larry started praising the brawlers and the sluggers, Jim also expanded on that idea, and in their commentary over time, the general public got to perceive that boxers who were masterful at their craft and skilled in defense were "boring." And fighters who had tremendous records and longevity with the sport like the Klitschko brothers weren't good enough for HBO, because dominance be damned according to HBO execs, especially in the case of Wlad, he keeps winning, but he's not exciting, so did Jim and Larry create this perception of in their minds that if two guys aren't in there ripping their heads off, it's not a good fight?

I agree you could say yes with regards to that question with Merchant in later years. He was BORED with scientific boxers, and boxers HAD to have a war in order for Larry to want to be there. But Lamply, he had a love relationship with Roy Jones regardless of opponent and Delahoya, regardless of opponent, so I think there are some differences there. I know Larry never got along well with Hopkins, and the same with Floyd and he. Merchant, I think will more or less speak his mind. Lamply will speak more on what the network wants him to say. Now, with Merchant gone, Max is trying to be Larry with the questions, controversy, and control. He's not Larry, and doesn't have Larry's experience, but I think he's just glad he found a home. Max is going to do what HBO wants him to do, because he doesn't have the longevity in the business to say "no" to higher-ups. HBO knows that if they can get Max shaking the pom-poms for the house fighter enough, there will be a smoother transition, which I think the network could look to replace Lamply with Kellerman.

You know, appeal to the younger demographic. And getting the younger demographic excited, it could be theorized that they would rather see brawls than boxing. HBO's looking for new blood and ratings appeal after losing Floyd and Oscar in promotions. The model may not work, but I can see what HBO is doing here.

Jack

the fans shit on the klitschko brothers because hbo was trying to force feed them to the public. if the public wasn't so vocal and in unison about their opinions of the klitschkos...they might still be on the hbo airwaves.

jim followed larry's lead. monkey see, monkey do.

jim seems to be in love with fighters...seriously. so him speaking lovingly of dlh or rjj is not a surprise. he cried for cotto...remember?

max is another example of monkey see, monkey do. he's content with having a job and doesn't realize he's ruining his own reputation.

the younger demographic doesn't know shit about boxing. it's the older heads job to educate them on the matter. that is not just a major problem in boxing...it's a major problem in all of society.

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 02:16 PM