IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Less than 24 hours for Mayweather., The countdown is on.
mrchitown
post Aug 5 2012, 02:41 AM
Post #51

Light Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Aug 5 2012, 02:23 AM) *
I'm surprised more people wouldn't want to see the rematch. Yes Mayweather did win a clear decison, but Cotto beat Mayweather pretty good in a few rounds and won some others. I'm not sure what round it was...maybe around 7 or 8, but Cotto really laid into Mayweather. It was the worst I had seen Mayweather look in any round of his entire pro career. Cotto is actually the younger man by at least a few years and doesnt have the wear and tear people say he does. Just look at his lone 2 loses prior to Mayweather that people point to. In the Margarito fight Cotto went down on his own to prevent more damage. Cotto was out of gas and sensed it was going to be worse in the remaining round or two. He did take some shots and it prolly has had a negative effect on him, but I think people are looking at the condition that his face was in and just assuming he was ruined. In the Pacman fight Cotto was still fighting in the last rounds before they stopped it. Yes he was fighting in survival mode, but still fighting. He wanted to continue. His face always swells more than average and once agin people just assume he was ruined because of the condition of his face. I dont think Pacman seriously hurt him. He had knockdowns, but they looked like flash knockdowns and Cotto got up each time. Cotto beats Pacman at 154 in my opinion today. I would bet $ on that 1. I would like to see the rematch and give Cotto a realistic chance at pushing Mayweather just as hard as their first bout which was a very entertaining and competitive fight.

I'd like to see the rematch too. He and Floyd could make some tactical adjustments to secure the W. Though I still would lean
heavily towards Floyd in a rematch. I wonder what the percentage chances of it happening are though? I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd takes the rest of the year off and we see him in the ring against Canelo next May

This post has been edited by mrchitown: Aug 5 2012, 02:44 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xxxxxx
post Aug 5 2012, 04:01 PM
Post #52

Lightweight

Member No.: 5,559

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 5 2012, 02:41 AM) *
I'd like to see the rematch too. He and Floyd could make some tactical adjustments to secure the W. Though I still would lean
heavily towards Floyd in a rematch. I wonder what the percentage chances of it happening are though? I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd takes the rest of the year off and we see him in the ring against Canelo next May

I also give Mayweather the edge in a rematch, but would be interested to see what adjustments both fighters make in the rematch. I dont think it's a good idea for Mayweather to take the rest of the year off in more ways then one.

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Aug 5 2012, 07:50 PM
Post #53

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 4 2012, 05:46 PM) *
He has other options. Why would he fight Cotto on his terms? When your the King you don't have to bend to others. I don't know of he'll fight again this year but if not then him and Canelo at MSG would be pretty nice. I just think he should fight outside of Vegas because you could make the case he was used for an economic boost before he went in, but he don't have to leave to fight Cotto. And unfortunately, you and me represent a small portion of people who'd want to see the rematch

lol thats because he was

everybody knows mayweather makes a lot of money for the city of vegas.

plus you had the biggest draw in boxing vs the 3rd biggest draw in boxing on cinco de mayo.

This post has been edited by Hotsauce: Aug 5 2012, 07:51 PM

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Aug 5 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #54

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 4 2012, 08:02 AM) *
fair point, but do you really think he could improve enough to win? is a rematch really warranted? I mean I think there's more cause of a rematch for Khan vs Garcia than this fight. Simple logic is, can Garcia knock him out again or was it a lucky shot, just to put that to bed, and while it was probably one of Mayweather's hardest fights to date, it never looked like he was in danger of losing.

Cotto's aggression and a Floyd bloody nose made it look like he was doing major damage... definitely competitive, yet never was a mayweather victory in doubt. Floyd was in control and gave Cotto opportunity by standing with him and again his defense rendered Cotto to hopelessly winging punches while MayweATHER PLAYED THE ROPES... Cotto gets credit for defending and blocking the MaYWEATHER LEFT HOOK very well, yet and still he got picked apart to the tune of 116-112, 118-110-117-111--- definitely not closer than 116-112 no matter people try to make it seem cotto stands a chance in a rematch.... other than for money Floyd has nothing to prove.. Cotto lost.. clearly. In a rematch he loses worse, yet he still will make big money for taking another shellacking...

This post has been edited by neophyte7: Aug 5 2012, 08:34 PM

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Aug 5 2012, 09:26 PM
Post #55

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Aug 5 2012, 04:01 PM) *
I also give Mayweather the edge in a rematch, but would be interested to see what adjustments both fighters make in the rematch. I dont think it's a good idea for Mayweather to take the rest of the year off in more ways then one.

It will be interesting to see which way he decides to go moving forward

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Aug 5 2012, 09:30 PM
Post #56

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Aug 5 2012, 07:50 PM) *
lol thats because he was

everybody knows mayweather makes a lot of money for the city of vegas.

plus you had the biggest draw in boxing vs the 3rd biggest draw in boxing on cinco de mayo.

Yep, he was but hopefully he will fight else where and deliver a bigger blow to them then they dealt to him. I always found it funny how all these concessions were made for him beforehand, then after the fight it became like a dictator and little country.

He can fight virtually anywhere in the world and make a big impact economically, not just in NY. I'm hoping he looks at all the options and decides to fight elsewhere

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Aug 6 2012, 12:38 AM
Post #57

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 5 2012, 09:30 PM) *
Yep, he was but hopefully he will fight else where and deliver a bigger blow to them then they dealt to him. I always found it funny how all these concessions were made for him beforehand, then after the fight it became like a dictator and little country.

He can fight virtually anywhere in the world and make a big impact economically, not just in NY. I'm hoping he looks at all the options and decides to fight elsewhere

maybe he can fight in miami and have lebron and wade help promote the fight

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 6 2012, 01:20 PM
Post #58

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mgrover @ Aug 4 2012, 07:02 AM) *
fair point, but do you really think he could improve enough to win? is a rematch really warranted? I mean I think there's more cause of a rematch for Khan vs Garcia than this fight. Simple logic is, can Garcia knock him out again or was it a lucky shot, just to put that to bed, and while it was probably one of Mayweather's hardest fights to date, it never looked like he was in danger of losing.

make no mistake about it...there was nothing lucky about the shot garcia landed on khan. he was zeroing that one in the whole first two rounds. no need for a rematch in that one. they said they were going to knock khan out...and they did.

it wasn't one of mayweathers hardest fight....it was his hardest fight. he has said so himself. i had the fight 8-4 the first time i watched it...but the case can be made for 7-5 and i believe cotto has much room for improvement. there are things in his arsenal that he did not use that could have swung that fight in his favor. i'd be eager to see the rematch because i believe cotto knows he didn't do all he could do. add to that the floyd was sick and had a hurt hand...let's roll the dice and see what it looks like. at worst....another very entertaining fight.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 6 2012, 01:22 PM
Post #59

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 4 2012, 05:46 PM) *
He has other options. Why would he fight Cotto on his terms? When your the King you don't have to bend to others. I don't know of he'll fight again this year but if not then him and Canelo at MSG would be pretty nice. I just think he should fight outside of Vegas because you could make the case he was used for an economic boost before he went in, but he don't have to leave to fight Cotto. And unfortunately, you and me represent a small portion of people who'd want to see the rematch

fighting at msg wouldn't exactly be on cotto's terms. it'd be his date and his venue...but i'm sure floyd being the bigger draw gets everything he wants. i'm sure cotto won't argue much....his piece of the pie will be more than he's ever made again i'm sure.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Aug 6 2012, 03:45 PM
Post #60

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Cotto can feel as though he could have done more all he wants... he was in there with a superior athlete mentally and physically, and his perceived success against floyd was made possible by Floyd choosing to make a "fan friendly" scrap and Cotto pretty much got toyed with as is evidenced when rewatching.. he had some moments, but I guess the presence of blood in some people's eyes renders a fight close... but not in this one... the judges got it right.. rematches are usually more emphatic... Cotto gets stopped...

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 07:29 AM