Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Amir Khan get a new trainer?
Gambit808
post Aug 7 2012, 01:38 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

Almost like typical sports drama where at the first sight of trouble with a team, the coach is to blame. In this scenario with boxing, it's with "fighter" Amir Khan & "trainer" Freddie Roach (supposedly).

IMO, it can help, but only at the expense of his (Khan) reason to suggest such a move. I think Roach might have too big of a stable to even keep up with all his fighters time and a move to a different trainer could serve him good in the sense that he has a full time trainer. But does it make him a better fighter... i don't think so.

Your thought...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 7 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Aug 7 2012, 01:38 PM) *
Almost like typical sports drama where at the first sight of trouble with a team, the coach is to blame. In this scenario with boxing, it's with "fighter" Amir Khan & "trainer" Freddie Roach (supposedly).

IMO, it can help, but only at the expense of his (Khan) reason to suggest such a move. I think Roach might have too big of a stable to even keep up with all his fighters time and a move to a different trainer could serve him good in the sense that he has a full time trainer. But does it make him a better fighter... i don't think so.

Your thought...

the help he needs is right in the wildcard. eric brown can add the missing defense.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Aug 7 2012, 07:36 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Just like ortiz he needs defensive improvement and he needs to learn that he's not gonna knock everyone out and that sometimes he has to box and hope for the best on the cards

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Aug 7 2012, 08:01 PM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Not only does he need help with his defense, but that footwork of his is horrendous. Did anybody notice how wild his feet were in the Garcia fight when he was throwing "power punches"? Those shits were ALL over the place.

Someone needs to show him how to survive when he's hurt...#1 rule, fuckin' HOLD. He knows how to stay away (when he runs), but lately, he just walks right back into the crossfire and try to fight back...bad idea. Whoever helps him with this, needs to be sure it sticks...or else he will revert back to what he knows best...fighting stupid when he gets hurt.

His career isn't over though, I didn't believe that for one second...

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Aug 7 2012, 08:19 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Yea he has a lot of fights left in him.. but idk about 147, unless he is draining to make 140 (which I doubt) he should stay because that division is pretty good. I think he and rios could make for a interesting fight

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post Aug 7 2012, 08:43 PM
Post #6

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,604

If khan had won his last two fights, he would be saying Roach is the best. He knew they weren't working on defense before his last 2 losses. Khan needs to step up and take the majority of the blame for his ass whipping.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Aug 7 2012, 09:50 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

I've thought that he should switch trainers since the Maidana fight, he needs more then defensive correction if he's going to grow in his career.

He definitely needs improvement on defense, he has so many holes there it's ridiculous. His head movement is non existent and that will be a huge issue going forward, especially if he thinks he can make it at WW. Khan also needs help offensively, his offensive selection is repetitive. It's good that he throws combos but he does it in a way where he can be timed. Like how Garcia started timing him and eventually stopped him. Khan needs to change up on the combos and his offensive tempo going forward in his career.

And his footwork has all ways been underwhelming. He needs a trainer who will notice these issues and will spend the necessary "time" working with him to make him a better fighter. I think a Steward who is very good at improving a fighters balance and a Naz Richardson who is one of the few teachers still training, can help him. But the one problem I think that remains is Khan's arrogance.

He needs to stop the showboating and tie up when he's hurt. I don't know that of Amir gets a new trainer that he will not just throw the game plan out the window and start doing his own thing again. He has shown in big moments, in tough moments, that he'll just fly off the handle and fight his fight which is not the best thing for him to do. He needs strainer who can reign him in and keep him focused if that's possible

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Aug 7 2012, 09:56 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

I agree that Emmanuel would be good for him. He can teach him to use his reach and maybe solve his footwork issues

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Aug 8 2012, 02:16 PM
Post #9

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

He should get a new line of work.. a new job altogether.. he stinks...

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Aug 8 2012, 02:40 PM
Post #10

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Aug 7 2012, 09:50 PM) *
I've thought that he should switch trainers since the Maidana fight, he needs more then defensive correction if he's going to grow in his career.

He definitely needs improvement on defense, he has so many holes there it's ridiculous. His head movement is non existent and that will be a huge issue going forward, especially if he thinks he can make it at WW. Khan also needs help offensively, his offensive selection is repetitive. It's good that he throws combos but he does it in a way where he can be timed. Like how Garcia started timing him and eventually stopped him. Khan needs to change up on the combos and his offensive tempo going forward in his career.

And his footwork has all ways been underwhelming. He needs a trainer who will notice these issues and will spend the necessary "time" working with him to make him a better fighter. I think a Steward who is very good at improving a fighters balance and a Naz Richardson who is one of the few teachers still training, can help him. But the one problem I think that remains is Khan's arrogance.

He needs to stop the showboating and tie up when he's hurt. I don't know that of Amir gets a new trainer that he will not just throw the game plan out the window and start doing his own thing again. He has shown in big moments, in tough moments, that he'll just fly off the handle and fight his fight which is not the best thing for him to do. He needs strainer who can reign him in and keep him focused if that's possible

very good points and i agree with most...except for the manny steward thing.

u've never seen a manny steward trained fighter capable of fighting on the inside....or have good defense if they didn't have a significant height advantage.

he needs to learn to fight on the inside and tie up once in a while. his foot work needs work...but he just needs to slow it down and make his moves more precise. he's too concerned with speed and is sacrificing good form as a result. i believe i could teach him all the things he needs to learn. the first thing i would work on is to get him to use his eyes on defense. he shells up and balls up anytime u start landing on him. that is the absolute worse thing to do on defense.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 06:06 PM