IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does Mayweather Retire Undefeated, If He Fought 3 More Fights Against..., Alverez, Pacquiao or Martinez As Each Opponent
Does Mayweather Retire Undefeated, If He Fought 3 More Fights Against...
Alverez, Pacquiao or Martinez As Each Opponent
Yes, He Retires Undefeated [ 10 ] ** [76.92%]
No, He Retires Defeated [ 3 ] ** [23.08%]
Total Votes: 13
Guests cannot vote 
Gambit808
post Sep 25 2012, 03:10 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

Interesting convo I had today at work with fellow boxing fans, tHought I'd share. The majority of them base there thoughts off of what they seen lately from either fighter, so when I asked them, the majority felt he'd either get beat by Canelo or Pacquiao. I figured either fight would be tough but he'd still come out Undefeated.

Let me read how you see these fights playing out if in fact Mayweather decided to fight either.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Sep 25 2012, 03:18 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Probably will retire undefeated if he hasnt already retired and just hasnt told anyone even though he seems like he is hinting at it...

1. The pac fight is not happening

2. Seriously doubt he fights martinez

3. Doesnt seem like he wants to fight canelo either.

I honestly think that if the guerrero vs bradley fight happens and guerrero by chance wins he would rather fight robert, just because like i said in some other thread he would really be sticking it to pac and arum if he fought the guy that beat the guy that beat pac.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Sep 25 2012, 03:18 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Nah I think Pac would lose UD style by the way, I doubt Mayweather could actually stop him, Canelo may win, and Martinez? He just shouldn't be mentioned in the running's for a Mayweather fight, neither of should go up or down in weight since it will take away from each fighter. I've personally never seen Mayweather fight someone that pot shots like him, but moves a lot more, how will Mayweather deal with the movement, and more importantly the speed. I don't think Martinez would stick and move like he did vs JCC Jr, but still.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 25 2012, 03:55 PM
Post #4

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

i think floyd beats the breaks off of pac....gatti style.

i think he narrowly decisions martinez at 154...

and i think canelo is his toughest fight...but possibly beats him by narrow decision.

wouldn't be shocked if he lost to martinez or canelo.

seriously doubt the fight with pac happens.

at this point....floyd has done himself a disservice and will always have questions surrounding his legacy. while i believe him to be the best of his era....i have questions surrounding his retirements and long breaks. i never expected him to fight everyone...but some of the fights that could have sealed his legacy never happened.

i never believed pac was as great as they make him out to be...his whole reign has been smoke and mirrors. it's been a combination of selective match making, timing and contractual stipulations to gain a competitive edge. not the stuff greatness is made from.

martinez is probably second best of the fighters mentioned. his problem...he's up in age and won't make the money he deserves...but i still believe there are fights out there to seal his place in history. at the moment...he is without doubt the best 160lb fighter in the world and has blazed a serious trail over the last few years.

canelo is the least proven of the bunch and hasn't really accomplished much outside of being a rarity(red headed mexican). he has skills...there's no doubt...but until he accomplishes something...yada, yada, yada...

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Sep 25 2012, 05:12 PM
Post #5

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

I think Mayweather should fight back to back. As long as he fights these guys back to back, in this particular order "Pacquiao, Martinez, Canelo", then i think he can retire very comfortably without his legacy in question. Also his heart and focus must still be in boxing as it has always been regardless of whatever else occurs outside of the ring. As of now i feel Martinez is his biggest challenge at 160, but Canelo could give him the strongest run for his money depending on how he performs against Cotto, and being that we'd probably see Myweather-Canelo in 2014. By then Canelo should have a richer record, maybe more world titles, maybe a PPV or two under his name, more seasoned, and better experienced/prepared. I still feel Mayweather would win. I like this thread. Interesting because in my mind i always thought Mayweathers last 3 fights should at 160 for Martinez's belt and to get another weight class under his name (may be a stretch), 154 unification for Canelo's WBC, WBA Regular (By then MAYBE Canelo would've edged it out against Cotto for his WBA that he will win form Trout if he doesn't get exposed like MArtinez did to JCC Jr.), and Floyd's WBA Super, and Pacquiao for the Highest purse in boxing history of course. But its interesting because i don't know if anyone else has noticed but i think Floyd and Roger are making it their mission to gain more world Championships. So i wouldn't be surprised if Mayweather faced the winner of the potential Bradley-Guerro fight for the WBO. Also he'd be guaranteed the higher purse and more control over PPV/finances. But the biggest key to Mayweather's wins or losses will be his inactivity. Not even age. I think inactivity is the determining factor because Pacquaio, Martinez, and Canelo are all extremely active fighters as of now and they all have great stamina/focus to BOXING in terms of being fighters. Mayweather is a promoter, has personal dilemmas, he is extremely comfortably financially so his heart may not necessarily be in fighting anymore. I think thats the issue.

This post has been edited by Marcus: Sep 25 2012, 05:19 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 25 2012, 05:23 PM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I dont believe he has enough in the tank to fight all 3 of these guys back to back. This dude fights 1 time within a 12-18 month span, and acts like his body has to really heal up or do something spectacular. Im a bit tired of him racking up our money, and falling off the boxing scene for long periods of time.

If that's how he's going to keep doing, then he needs to stay "undecided" or whatever he's doing at the moment. Seriously, either fight, or stay out of the way. Just when a division starts to get hot (Ortiz dominating Berto), Floyd manages to show up, have his way, get the division off course, and dip away after he's made his money. Tired of it...

I've liked this guy as a fighter and entertainer for a long time, but his shenanigans are messing up the sport, and he's becoming a nuisance. Dont make the world think that you're leaving the sport, then cry about not getting the respect that you deserve, just to wait for something big to materialize, then come back and mess stuff up.

This cat stirs up the pot, and leaves the sport of boxing to clean it up. At this point, the Canelo fight seems to be the only likely fight of the three, and I dont believe it will be that much of a cake walk to Floyd, since he's beating himself with all of this inactivity.

+Quote Post
Plah
post Sep 25 2012, 05:40 PM
Post #7

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,629

I don't think he fights any of those. A Cotto rematch seems more likely. Well, maybe the Canelo one is doable but idk. What I hope is, if Devon defeats Bailey, which he should, he doesn't start asking for a Floyd fight.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 25 2012, 06:18 PM
Post #8

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 25 2012, 05:23 PM) *
I dont believe he has enough in the tank to fight all 3 of these guys back to back. This dude fights 1 time within a 12-18 month span, and acts like his body has to really heal up or do something spectacular. Im a bit tired of him racking up our money, and falling off the boxing scene for long periods of time.

If that's how he's going to keep doing, then he needs to stay "undecided" or whatever he's doing at the moment. Seriously, either fight, or stay out of the way. Just when a division starts to get hot (Ortiz dominating Berto), Floyd manages to show up, have his way, get the division off course, and dip away after he's made his money. Tired of it...

I've liked this guy as a fighter and entertainer for a long time, but his shenanigans are messing up the sport, and he's becoming a nuisance. Dont make the world think that you're leaving the sport, then cry about not getting the respect that you deserve, just to wait for something big to materialize, then come back and mess stuff up.

This cat stirs up the pot, and leaves the sport of boxing to clean it up. At this point, the Canelo fight seems to be the only likely fight of the three, and I dont believe it will be that much of a cake walk to Floyd, since he's beating himself with all of this inactivity.

interesting take...hard to argue.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Sep 25 2012, 08:56 PM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Im still not sold at all on Canelo. He hasn't fought anyone, at this rate mayweather is gonna be announcing his fights not across the corner from him

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Sep 25 2012, 09:18 PM
Post #10

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 25 2012, 05:23 PM) *

i don't blame him if people keep buying his fights and people will keep buying his fights.

blame the fans.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 11:21 AM