> Am I the Only One?
checkleft
post Oct 4 2012, 06:19 PM
Post #41

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (boxingloner @ Oct 4 2012, 05:20 PM) *
I smashed on him huh. Im glad you were able to get some enjoyment and laughs out of it because it was fun while it lasted. The poor guy was struggling to keep up, he gave a good effert and never stopped trying to swing back but he failed. I didnt want to do this but the guy started it so I had to roast him for it.

(IMG:http://i.qkme.me/3q681p.jpg)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Archimedes
post Oct 4 2012, 11:21 PM
Post #42

Amateur

Member No.: 13,487

Martinez is a "White Elephant" of sorts because the prospects of Mayweather fighting him are ebon to nonexistent. Yes Martinez dismantled a much lesser skilled opponent in Chavez (anybody that didn't call it the way it happened is delusional) over the course of twelve rounds, yeah. Does that mean a Mayweather fight is in the cards or even should be? Of course not, focus on the words "lesser skilled." If you beat someone that has Chavez's work ethic, unproven record, what does that do for you actually? Because what you're really hoping for as his opponent is that the undeserved hype surrounding Chavez himself is somehow conferred upon you.

Martinez's name is only in the mix because it's a fight that could actually be made with Mayweather, without all of the promotional wizardary of Bob Arum trying to avoid it. When the obvious fight can't be made, it then falls to anyone else to give the "hated" Mayweather his comeuppance, even if the fight isn't practical or lucrative. It's all about name calling, hating, and matching Mayweather with improbable opponents.

No matter what Floyd does during his active career, he'll never be good enough, why? Because he isn't humble or contrite enough like other African American athletes.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Oct 5 2012, 04:13 AM
Post #43

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (Archimedes @ Oct 5 2012, 05:21 AM) *
No matter what Floyd does during his active career, he'll never be good enough, why? Because he isn't humble or contrite enough like other African American athletes.

not really, it's fine to have confidence in your skills, Ali did, but Floyd is a straight up prick, and chose to play the part of the prick, that's what the public aren't too fond of him.

+Quote Post
Archimedes
post Oct 5 2012, 07:31 AM
Post #44

Amateur

Member No.: 13,487

QUOTE (mgrover @ Oct 5 2012, 02:13 AM) *
not really, it's fine to have confidence in your skills, Ali did, but Floyd is a straight up prick, and chose to play the part of the prick, that's what the public aren't too fond of him.

"Prick?" Please, that's a subjective term that means squat in the end and mainly finds it's fault line in race on some level I suspect, don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are plenty of African American folks that despise Floyd Mayweather regardless of his race obviously. However, what I find interesting and somewhat disturbing is the raw vitriol that's unleashed toward Mayweather. Sure, his antics don't necessarily endear him to some fans, but I find the reaction to him to be out of proportion to his remarks. The mindless commentary by some makes me think that boxing, despite it's storied history is really a refuge for idiots.

That's my take.....

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 8 2012, 06:54 PM
Post #45

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

Where's ButtLoner? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 8 2012, 07:18 PM
Post #46

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (mgrover @ Oct 5 2012, 05:13 AM) *

Between Ali and mayweather Floyd is labeled the prick? I'm a big fan of both guys but did you hear the things Ali said to frazier?

By my interpretation Ali and mayweather both chose and knew their character. Mainly because it sells way easier than being a good guy because let's face it there are tons of good guys out there.

This post has been edited by checkleft: Oct 8 2012, 07:19 PM

+Quote Post
sduck
post Oct 8 2012, 09:02 PM
Post #47

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Why isnt boxingloner banned yet? He obviously doesn't like this forum.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Oct 9 2012, 04:30 AM
Post #48

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 9 2012, 01:18 AM) *
Between Ali and mayweather Floyd is labeled the prick? I'm a big fan of both guys but did you hear the things Ali said to frazier?

By my interpretation Ali and mayweather both chose and knew their character. Mainly because it sells way easier than being a good guy because let's face it there are tons of good guys out there.

its fine when your funny, but mayweather simply isn't.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Oct 9 2012, 04:41 AM
Post #49

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Archimedes @ Oct 5 2012, 01:31 PM) *
"Prick?" Please, that's a subjective term that means squat in the end and mainly finds it's fault line in race on some level I suspect, don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are plenty of African American folks that despise Floyd Mayweather regardless of his race obviously. However, what I find interesting and somewhat disturbing is the raw vitriol that's unleashed toward Mayweather. Sure, his antics don't necessarily endear him to some fans, but I find the reaction to him to be out of proportion to his remarks. The mindless commentary by some makes me think that boxing, despite it's storied history is really a refuge for idiots.

That's my take.....

meh throwing money at the armed up forces isn't exactly a going to earn him fans, every big star in the sport came off in a certain way, Ali was witty, Tyson was terrifying, what's Floyd? In the ring obviously a master, but out of it? Seems like a prick and while yes its subjective boxing is subjective.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Oct 9 2012, 10:30 AM
Post #50

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

Yea but when Floyd WASN'T a prick and he WASN'T brash and obnoxious, he couldn't get big fights. The De La Hoya fight...LONG OVERDUE. The Cotto fight...LONG OVERDUE. The Mosley fight...LONG OVERDUE. He called Mosley out since the Vargas fight. It wasn't until he started wearing fur on his trunks and talking shit that he got any type of major notoriety. Say what you will about him. Maybe he sold himself to BE the devil in a sense but let's face it. If Floyd was the polite guy his critics want him to be he'd be just another pawn getting dicked around. He wouldn't have been able to go independent and be a free agent because he wouldn't have had a leg to stand on. He's be another Manny Pacquiao, hoping to get rich off of what bones Arum threw him. Actually, he'd be worse because part of the reason why people still keep coming to Manny's fights despite 3 back to back lackluster performances is because he's like a rockstar in the Phillipines. Excuse my French but to corporate white America, AKA Bob Arum, Floyd is "just another nigger". Not trying to make this a race thing, but let's call a spade a spade. It's the Jeremy Lin effect. If Floyd stfu and was humble his entire career, he'd be just another black guy who can fight but doesn't have exhilarating KO's. Been there, done that. African Americans don't stand up and support their own enough, so we'd sit by idly and watch Floyd get Winky Wrighted out of boxing eventually. I could see if it was just Floyd positioning and gumming up the works. But when guys like Bradley, Guerrero, Chavez Jr, Cloud, Bundrage etc who don't have 1/8th the resume' of Mayweather get to dictate their place in the hierarchy of boxing and muscle their way into big fights that they don't deserve.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 09:34 PM