Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> De La Hoya vs. Ike Quartey revisited.
mitukczuk
post Oct 3 2012, 02:49 PM
Post #1

Super Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,355

Alright, so I just finished watching this fight and man, what a fight!

I almost forgot about the competitive spirit that was ruling the day that night. I have always been quite reserved when discussing De la Hoya. I don't know how to feel about him but one thing is for sure, Oscar COULD fight.

The beginning of the fight was the war of jabs and again, Ike Quartey had ONE HELL OF A JAB and was landing that shit with consistency and mean intentions. I liked Oscars combinations..nice, fluent..they didnt always hit the target but the right hand made an impact and it was visible that Ike's team wasn't counting with Oscar using it.
Middle rounds were nothing else than a takeover. Ike asserted himself as THE man - especially in the 6th round after he KDd Oscar after being on the floor himself.
Later rounds were in my opinion controversial - Again, Oscar wasn't doing shit until the 12 and oh my god, that must have been one of the most thrilling rounds I have ever seen. Although De la Hoya dropped Ike again in that round he wasnt able to finish him off and punched himself out.

When I put all my biases away, I would still gave the fight to Quartey because I think he deserved to win as he was fighting for the whole 12 rounds and was fighting really well. On the other hand Oscar was lacking discipline and fought on 100% only on few occasions. Of course Golden Boy couldn't lose the decision so I am not surprised that he won on the judges scorecards and also, arguments can be made about him actually winning the fight.

Thoughts ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVpzwmsiINg
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Cheesey1
post Oct 9 2012, 07:26 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,505

Definitely was a solid scrap. Ghana represent (errm, except for Clottey vs. Pacquaio...)!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 01:53 PM