IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Legacy vs. Payday, If you were a fighter, which would be more important?
BoxingStill#1
post Oct 10 2012, 07:26 AM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,594

When one walks into a boxing gym, see's the blood stained canvas of a boxing ring, smells the saturated scenting of old leather and sweat, start a hard rigerours schedule of pushing your body to its very last limit, then ultimately lacing the gloves up for the first time and feeling a deliberate series of punched punishing the head and body, one has to wonder why anyone would choose to box as a career. I have always been firm on the belief that boxing is a sport that needs to be chosen. I couldnt simply bring my son into the gym and make him fight. It is a sport he has to choose. But why would he? Whats the motivation to make him sacrifice time and body to something that can ruin his physical and mental health?
One fighter watches HBO, Showtime, or Espn and says "hey, I wanna be that guy". "I wanna hold that belt high and be the champion of the world". Or is it "Damn, that dude is paid, I want all that, I want that house them cars, the celebrity status".. In short, to each his own. Every champion has had to sacrifice at one point, but Im starting to see an entire new trend in boxing. There are few who really want that strap, and would rather have the name and notoriety. I lets take a recent example: Miguel Cotto, a fighter who is likey on the downhill side of his career even though he fought a valiant fight with Floyed, takes a risky fight in undefeated Austin Trout. A fight he may likey lose depending on his mental state. But heres a guy who has a name and can wait on a Canelo, or what have you to make a huge payday but instead takes a fight with a young hungry, proven champion...and for what? ..Cotto want that belt. Cotto want to be the best and still feels he can...after war after war he chooses this guy? Thats admirable imo.
One the other hand we have a fighter like lets say as previosly mentioned Canelo. Now Im not saying he isnt a tremendous fighter with exceptional talent. Im not even saying this is his fault, perhaps his promoters are doing a great job. We can input many more names in this slot. Canelo's name is becoming household. But imo he's being rushed into stardom and hasnt proved it against anyone (other than an aged Mosely). Some fighters get a little exposure and think they are the pinnacle of the sport. Canelo is good, damn good, but he hasnt arrived yet.
If you ask me I wanna be a champion. Tested, proven, and still hungry. I wanna be an Andre Ward, or a Bernard Hopkins. An underdog, whos legacy is more important than a big paycheck. Sure every fighter wants to cash out at some point. But while your in your prime I fell they should make prime moves. Wipe out your division or die trying.
If you were a fighter, as some here are, what would be your motivation?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 05:22 AM