IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Could Popular Fighters"Turn Back Time" In Boxing?
Jack 1000
post Oct 27 2012, 12:09 AM
Post #1

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

What do you all think?

If enough popular and money making fighters, stopped supporting the alphabet organization belts and met with the Association of Boxing Commission and somehow a resolution was passed that said:

1.) We are going back to 15 round championship fights

2.) We will arrange box-offs between all WBC/WBA/WBO/IBF champions, producing a single world champion for boxing to follow.

3.) What would happen if the fighters petitioned the Association of Boxing Commissions to do these things?

So many complain about the alphabet federations having too many belts and power. But little is done to reduce their power.

The obvious answer is that there is more money to be made by having multiple world champions over a single unified title holder. But if popular fighters could pettion the ABC to "turn back time" in boxing, could this be done? Why or why not?

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Oct 27 2012, 02:15 AM
Post #2

Super Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,355

This is a great idea and I would definitely support it. However, as you mentioned...money. Money talks and in the curent state of boxing I don't see it happening. But nice utopia...

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Oct 27 2012, 03:45 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

no because popular fighters are just as greedy, you think people like K9 know he isn't really the light middleweight champion of the world? he knows, but he just wants to cash out using that title. also the 15 round thing, meh it just seems a test of endurance more than skill. i mean best example the sergio martinez vs chavez fight, martinez destroyed chavez for 11 and half rounds, does chavez deserve to win because he did fuck all, all fight which is why he isnt really that tired?

This post has been edited by mgrover: Oct 27 2012, 03:47 PM

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 27 2012, 04:45 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

I wouldn't want to bring back 15 rounders. Not only does it make fighters sustain more damage because as the fight goes on and they take shots and get tired less oxygen reaches the brain but some of the fights nowadays feel like 15 round fights and they are only 10-12 rounds (alexander bailey, pac mosley).

The other stuff is just a matter of people wanting to make more money so I doubt any of it will go away.

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post Oct 27 2012, 06:17 PM
Post #5

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,604

This would be taking too much money out of a lot of people's pocket. What I would like to see now is a 50% reduction in what the organizations receives on a fight with the rest going towards a boxing pension

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Oct 28 2012, 01:11 PM
Post #6

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,770

I'm all about arranging a system that creates a singular champion. Would it ever happen? I don't know. Even the most popular boxers may be putting a lot at stake if such a petition was produced by them.

I'd love for 15 rounders to be an option on the table. but maybe not "turn back the clock" and make them the general rule for all championship bouts. Shit, if the status quo stayed as is, I wouldn't mind title bouts being 12 UNTIL a match-up deciding an undisputed champion occurred. that fight would be 15.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Oct 28 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Oct 27 2012, 12:09 AM) *
What do you all think?

If enough popular and money making fighters, stopped supporting the alphabet organization belts and met with the Association of Boxing Commission and somehow a resolution was passed that said:

1.) We are going back to 15 round championship fights

2.) We will arrange box-offs between all WBC/WBA/WBO/IBF champions, producing a single world champion for boxing to follow.

3.) What would happen if the fighters petitioned the Association of Boxing Commissions to do these things?

So many complain about the alphabet federations having too many belts and power. But little is done to reduce their power.

The obvious answer is that there is more money to be made by having multiple world champions over a single unified title holder. But if popular fighters could pettion the ABC to "turn back time" in boxing, could this be done? Why or why not?

Jack

1.) not sure i am totally with this. stretching the rounds bring back health hazards/issues such as dehydration...

2.) sounds great but the obstacle isn't just the fighters....it's the promoters/managers/networks as well.

3.) not much because most if not all boxers are bound by contractual obligations to management.

i'd love to see something like this happen....but i think the fighters themselves are obstacles as well. a lot of these guys are trying to play manager/fighter after watching guys like bhop, roy and now floyd have successful careers. not everyone can do what they have done...but it won't stop plenty of them from trying.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 11:25 AM