Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Trinidad vs. Vargas revisited.
mitukczuk
post Nov 4 2012, 08:39 AM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,355

So recently I had only a few hours for my almost regular "revisited" sunday mood swings. I decided to spend these on Felix Trinidad's fights this time.
I watched vs. Jones, vs. De la Hoya, vs. Mayorga and of course one from the top 3 fights I have ever seen..vs. Hopkins.

As I was watching vs. Vargas fight, I couldnt unnotice the aura and energy that fight had. Trinidad's fans were die hard unbreakable and if you add Mexican/Puerto-Rican rivalry to the mix, that by itself promises a good scrap. Not to mention when two awesome fighters are executing it.

First of all, let me just say that I have always liked Vargas. He was/is a cocky mofo, but I always felt that he is a good kid. His boxing ability wasn't perfect however, even though it wasn't a "flashy" ability, he was able to make adjustments in the fight and he always put it all on the line.

There are stories and fairy tales about Trinidad's left hook, so I will not get into that one. What surprised me the most in all his fights is, how a good jab could keep him totally of balance. (Hopkins fight is a prime example) At times when Vargas used his jab, it really caused some trouble in Trinidad's game and Vargas was capitilizing on that.

The fight - I will not go round by round, but there are some things that I feel should be said.

1 rd - Trinidad caught Vargas right on the money and it had me on the edge of my seat. Vargas was clearly a little cold. BUT, I loved the way he stood his ground, cleared his head while being completely flat-footed!! and fought back! Memorable!
3 rd - I HATE seeing intentional low blows and even more when they land repeatedly. Although I didn't think Trinidad was focusing on hitting Vargas low I think he landed some in all his fights, which makes me wonder.
4 rd - Man oh MAN ! What a surprise seeing Trinidad on his ass. I LOVED the way he stood up and was eager to go back at it! True warrior spirit! And then AGAIN, low blow...and in that situation I think Trinidad wanted to hit him.
12 rd - Classic Trinidad left hooks. Vargas got over-excited and paid the ultimate price. First KD was a flash one, same as the one in the 1st rd, but the second...devastating. Once your head swings like that, its over. Right hand to seal the 3kd and the end of the fight was just a cherry on the pie.

To conclude - Loved the fight!! Vargas was rushed early on in his career, which ultimately cost him his career, imo. Lot of ability wasted because of that. He could have been a great champion. On the other hand, it was clearly Tito's night and he deserved the victory.

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: Nov 4 2012, 08:43 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 06:15 PM