IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Showtime@10:30PM(ET)/7:30PM(PT)-Khan vs. Molina-SPOILERS, No New Threads, Public Streams, or Discussion of HBO Card
daprofessor
post Dec 17 2012, 04:28 AM
Post #81

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

angulo and khan's bouts were nothing more than rebuilding fights.

from angulo i saw plenty of improvements and new folds in his game offensively and defensively. normally he swings for the fences and now he seems to be utilizing a jab for offense and defense. he is also throwing set up shots and mixing up his combinations with some touch, touch bang! in spots he showed some really good defense and head movement that i've never seen from him before. he's only been with hunter a short while and i believe if they keep matching him properly, he will be a force again. they chose the perfect opponent.

as for khan...he seems to have settled down a lot. he's not bouncing all over the place and he's being much more patient/economical with his punches. he's also using his jab for offense and defense. he isn't falling in after his combos and outside a handful of times, he isn't balling up/blinding himself with a high guard and leaning in to be hit. his work off the ropes was very impressive and is definitely a new wrinkle in his game.

neither guy should be looking to step up the competition too much too soon. i don't believe angulo is as sharp as he can be just yet. he's still shaking off rust from inactivity. if they keep him active...he'll be where he needs to be in a few fights. as for khan...while i admire his willingness to get back in the ring with garcia, i don't believe that would be a smart move. i can't see that going any differently anytime soon. he's still getting caught with the same shots in exchanges...and like a few of you have pointed out...he's admiring his work still. that will spell doom against a big puncher like garcia. i'd like see amir add a little head movement to what he's doing in the ring.

i am a big fan of hunter. having watched him develop ward into a gold medalist and then into a world champion/p4p fighter....i'm completely sold. he brings knowledge and understanding to the game that is much needed. if these guys continue to listen and have the patience to continue growing under him....they are going to do well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 17 2012, 02:54 PM
Post #82

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Dec 17 2012, 02:47 AM) *
I took some time to think about it and realized that I hadn't thought about Maidana's development under Robert Garcia. He did look really good in that fight and at this point, I do believe that a fight with Khan would be very competitive.

I would also pay money to watch a Lamont Peterson rematch for sure. Peterson is tough and has that body attack that gave Khan hell in that fight.

With Prescott, for his own good, I'd like him to get a couple of victories under him so that his confidence comes back and he actually has a chance to give Khan a good fight...especially after the war he had with Mike Alvarado.

Eventually all roads will hopefully lea to a rematch with Danny Garcia. If he can cross all of these bridges and Floyd is still fighting, then we can talk about that fight.

For now, Amir should just soak up everything he can by being around Virgil Hunter and Andre Ward. The more he molds his game after the Son of God, the more impressive his performances will be.

Totally agree. Khan is in a position to have a couple of build-up fights, he's truly earned it. He's fought some of the best guys in the division, so he deserves a bit of a rest. Now guys like Berto on the other hand, had been fighting no-hopers (aside from Collazo) until he fought Ortiz. Being that he lost that fight, he had no room to go back to no-hopers, it was well past his time to step up in competition.

With that in mind, guys like that have it rough, because they have to improve and adjust on the job...after the opening bell with a formidable opponent standing across the ring from them.

On to Garcia...let's just hope he gets past Judah because that's his fight to lose. What a sad day it would be, if he loses that fight. On another note, as you mentioned, Khan needs to keep learning and not lose his shit when thinking about who he should be fighting next and what he deserves....thats when he becomes a douche.

I just didn't like his whole comment about knocking Garcia out though...hell, when was the last time Khan stopped somebody. Then I thought about it, he didn't look all that impressive, he just had an opportunity to adjust because Molina's physical deficiencies wouldn't allow him to stop it.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Dec 17 2012, 03:02 PM
Post #83

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 17 2012, 02:54 PM) *
Totally agree. Khan is in a position to have a couple of build-up fights, he's truly earned it. He's fought some of the best guys in the division, so he deserves a bit of a rest. Now guys like Berto on the other hand, had been fighting no-hopers (aside from Collazo) until he fought Ortiz. Being that he lost that fight, he had no room to go back to no-hopers, it was well past his time to step up in competition.

With that in mind, guys like that have it rough, because they have to improve and adjust on the job...after the opening bell with a formidable opponent standing across the ring from them.

On to Garcia...let's just hope he gets past Judah because that's his fight to lose. What a sad day it would be, if he loses that fight. On another note, as you mentioned, Khan needs to keep learning and not lose his shit when thinking about who he should be fighting next and what he deserves....thats when he becomes a douche.

I just didn't like his whole comment about knocking Garcia out though...hell, when was the last time Khan stopped somebody. Then I thought about it, he didn't look all that impressive, he just had an opportunity to adjust because Molina's physical deficiencies wouldn't allow him to stop it.

i believe khan's ego will stand in the way of his own success. i like some of the improvements he's made with hunter...but listening to his comments during the interview segment leading up to the fight...he said something like..."the way he(virgil hunter) talks, he bores you so u know it will stick..." or some bullshit to that effect. virgil says he's a very eager student...but i wonder how long it will last. there's no one to reel this kid in...he will be responsible for his own demise.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Dec 17 2012, 03:02 PM

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Dec 18 2012, 04:05 AM
Post #84

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

I enjoyed the card tonight. Angulo had a tough time in his fight, but did enuff to win in a solid performance. he didnt blow his load early and was patient. He's a solid oppponenet for any top guy at 154.

The Wilder fight was more of a punch than a fight. Wilder seems really raw. I think he gets beaten by guys like Chris Arreaola and the 2nd tier of heavies. i think he has a great upside and has great potential. He does need to step up his comp though. I have no clue who that guy was he was fighting, but lets get him in there with Seth Mitchel or the guy who just beat him and see what he can do.

Khan was explosive tonight. I did see some improvements in his game. he seems a bit more patient. Still has great combos. His defense is a "little' better." He's going to need to see Garcia again to redeem himself. Now would be a good time to rematch Beridis Prescott before getting garcia again next summer.

+Quote Post
flazi
post Dec 18 2012, 02:21 PM
Post #85

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,846

was anyone else impressed with the the small guy silva?

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 18 2012, 02:48 PM
Post #86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (flazi @ Dec 18 2012, 02:21 PM) *

Hell yeah!

He took a few too many punches (though he could take them), but I like him.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Dec 18 2012, 04:13 PM
Post #87

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (flazi @ Dec 18 2012, 02:21 PM) *

i like him. he has a lot to work with and i believe that was a fight that may have helped him grow big time. he's going to be better because of it. remember him...because in a few years he'll be the guy upsetting the next big thing.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Dec 19 2012, 05:39 AM
Post #88

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 18 2012, 04:13 PM) *
i like him. he has a lot to work with and i believe that was a fight that may have helped him grow big time. he's going to be better because of it. remember him...because in a few years he'll be the guy upsetting the next big thing.

Agreed. I liked his game, he was tough and came to work. When I saw him, I instantly thought tomato can. Boy did he fool me. I'll be looking for him again in the future...

This post has been edited by The Original MrFactor: Dec 19 2012, 05:39 AM

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 02:23 AM