IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NBC: AdameK/Cunningham II:@4pm(ET)/1pm(PT)-SPOILERS, No New Spoilers, Duplicate Threads or Public Streams
VJones
post Dec 23 2012, 01:28 AM
Post #11

Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,614

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Dec 22 2012, 08:13 PM) *
Agreed about Cunningham/Adamek

I thought that Hamer just used the wrong strategy against a particular style of opponent and not that he doesn't have what it takes. Valid point though that if he really doesn't have what it takes, then no need to stick around. I think it might be worth him sticking around, but with a different corner.

I don't disagree really. But at 29 and with stamina issues...and still rather green in the sport, a different corner might help...but I get the feeling his heart just isn't in it.

I'm reminded of last weekend's epilogue in the Showtime All Access Cotto/Trout series. There's a wonderfully poignant moment when the camera catches Miguel Cotto's wife whispering to him: "I'm tired. This hurts me."

Cotto's emotional response: "It's the only thing I know. What else can I do?"

I think when you're getting pounded on for a living (especially as a heavyweight), a sense (a true conviction) that 'this is what I'm made to do'...and/or 'I have no other choice but to fight', is necessary. And so the background stories most often told in this brutal sport are stories like that of Miguel Cotto...a warrior with no other choices...men and women coming from nothing...knowing only how to claw, scrape, and fight their way out of poverty and adversity. And so, the 'fight' in them is innate. Heart comes with the territory. And brutality is as natural as skin.

Hamer is middle class, educated, ivy-league parents. It was almost comical watching him grimace and play at meanness before the fight began. =) I think his natural athleticism has taken him as far as he can go in boxing. Grit would be necessary to take him further...and he just doesn't seem to have it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
VJones
post Dec 23 2012, 01:30 AM
Post #12

Flyweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 22 2012, 08:23 PM) *
...measure and cut this wood for this bed that Im putting together...

Impressive!

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Dec 23 2012, 01:45 AM
Post #13

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

I had it 116-114 for Cunningham with two even rounds. Both did a lot of swapping back and forth of those rounds. It was not a robbery, but still a bad call. The least that Stevie could have gotten was a draw. For the record, I recall disagreeing with judge Debra Barnes on a maybe five fights she worked over the years and this is one of them. Her corrected score, I believe she was the one who went 116-112 for Ademek was bullshit.

I wanted to hear the interviews and on the DVR, they cut away a few minutes after the decision.

Jack

+Quote Post
VJones
post Dec 23 2012, 02:08 AM
Post #14

Flyweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Dec 23 2012, 02:45 AM) *
I had it 116-114 for Cunningham with two even rounds. Both did a lot of swapping back and forth of those rounds. It was not a robbery, but still a bad call. The least that Stevie could have gotten was a draw. For the record, I recall disagreeing with judge Debra Barnes on a maybe five fights she worked over the years and this is one of them. Her corrected score, I believe she was the one who went 116-112 for Ademek was bullshit.

I wanted to hear the interviews and on the DVR, they cut away a few minutes after the decision.

Jack

Judging is always a somewhat subjective business...but these bad calls are truly ruining the sport. I agree, Jack, at least a draw for his time and trouble would have been better than giving Adamek a fight he did not win.

Cunningham was in tears in the locker room. And rightfully so.

Crazy thing about bad decisions is its destructive to both fighters. Cunningham suffers a loss he doesn't deserve, a record tarnished, money he will not earn. But Adamek suffers too...because he will lose fans if its perceived that he is being gifted a decision. And if he knows he didn't win a fight and has any integrity, he'll suffer a mental chip as well.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Dec 23 2012, 04:51 AM
Post #15

The Consultant

The Pennsylvanian Commission's Master Scoresheet is very bunchy and hard to read:

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/adamek-cun...corecard-158735 (Credit-Fightnews)

Jack

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Dec 23 2012, 01:04 PM
Post #16

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (VJones @ Dec 23 2012, 01:28 AM) *
I don't disagree really. But at 29 and with stamina issues...and still rather green in the sport, a different corner might help...but I get the feeling his heart just isn't in it.

I'm reminded of last weekend's epilogue in the Showtime All Access Cotto/Trout series. There's a wonderfully poignant moment when the camera catches Miguel Cotto's wife whispering to him: "I'm tired. This hurts me."

Cotto's emotional response: "It's the only thing I know. What else can I do?"

I think when you're getting pounded on for a living (especially as a heavyweight), a sense (a true conviction) that 'this is what I'm made to do'...and/or 'I have no other choice but to fight', is necessary. And so the background stories most often told in this brutal sport are stories like that of Miguel Cotto...a warrior with no other choices...men and women coming from nothing...knowing only how to claw, scrape, and fight their way out of poverty and adversity. And so, the 'fight' in them is innate. Heart comes with the territory. And brutality is as natural as skin.

Hamer is middle class, educated, ivy-league parents. It was almost comical watching him grimace and play at meanness before the fight began. =) I think his natural athleticism has taken him as far as he can go in boxing. Grit would be necessary to take him further...and he just doesn't seem to have it.

Fair point.

+Quote Post
MaxPayne
post Dec 23 2012, 01:24 PM
Post #17

Featherweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13,282

I had it 116-112 for Cunningham.

I honestly cannot see more than 4 rounds for Adamek. Cunningham was landing jabs and right hands and solid shots to the body the entire fight.

This is a fucking travesty. Cunningham is a good guy and doesn't deserve this horse shit.

Fuck Adamek. I used to be a fan. Not anymore.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Dec 23 2012, 01:47 PM
Post #18

The Consultant

I wonder if the proposed WBA/WBC computer scoring, with judges using laptops instead of conventional sheets will make a difference?

Boxingscene attempts to clarify the scoresheets here:

http://www.boxingscene.com/adamek-cunningh...larified--60756

Keep in mind that a wrong score can be keyed into a computer as well!

Jack

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 23 2012, 08:34 PM
Post #19

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Man I feel so left out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Anybody have a link to the fight?

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Dec 24 2012, 12:14 AM
Post #20

The Consultant

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 23 2012, 07:34 PM) *
Man I feel so left out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Anybody have a link to the fight?

Here you go!

http://sosoboxing.com/boxing-video-watch-o...e-cunningham-2/

There might be a pop up that shows up in IE. Firefox with Ad Block Plus will kill the pop-up.

Jack

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 09:56 PM