> Money & The Problem
Cshel86
post Jan 1 2013, 07:14 PM
Post #31

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Dec 29 2012, 09:37 PM) *
Chels86 I understand what you are saying bro, I do, but names draw people in. I think the casual fan could be educated if network tv did a spot for each fighter on the under card, take TNT or ESPN they can have features on the fighters. I guess we will see who is on the card in the next few weeks to come then the real bitching and complaining can start.

Names? Is Adrian Broner a "name" to the general public?! Trout?! Gamboa?! More than likely, not. To us, yes...only because we follow their careers. ESPN needs to rerun FNFs more than just once on Friday nights, and I agree, more network tv stations need to pick up boxing.

It really wont help the stations to pick up boxing, if there are just gonna be a bunch of "I'm not here to talk, I'm just ready to fight" type of fighters. It's cool if guys just want to fight, but drama usually sells fights. These fighters need tv dates, badly, but as soon as most of them get to the big stage (or something close to it), they end up looking like shit against B-level competition.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 1 2013, 07:47 PM
Post #32

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 1 2013, 05:14 PM) *
Names? Is Adrian Broner a "name" to the general public?! Trout?! Gamboa?! More than likely, not. To us, yes...only because we follow their careers. ESPN needs to rerun FNFs more than just once on Friday nights, and I agree, more network tv stations need to pick up boxing.

It really wont help the stations to pick up boxing, if there are just gonna be a bunch of "I'm not here to talk, I'm just ready to fight" type of fighters. It's cool if guys just want to fight, but drama usually sells fights. These fighters need tv dates, badly, but as soon as most of them get to the big stage (or something close to it), they end up looking like shit against B-level competition.

They can give it a shot. All the undercards can have their own feature 24/7 will not be enough. There are reports that Floyd is fighting Robert Guerrero according to what Floyd Senior has stated. I am not looking forward to the fight. The only interesting dynamic will be if father and son are working together again. Wouldn't that be a bitch if Floyd took his first L under his dad... It will not happen but interesting storyline never the less.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 1 2013, 08:02 PM
Post #33

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 1 2013, 07:47 PM) *
They can give it a shot. All the undercards can have their own feature 24/7 will not be enough. There are reports that Floyd is fighting Robert Guerrero according to what Floyd Senior has stated. I am not looking forward to the fight. The only interesting dynamic will be if father and son are working together again. Wouldn't that be a bitch if Floyd took his first L under his dad... It will not happen but interesting storyline never the less.

We'll have to see about those reports. It seems that boxrec has jumped the gun and named Guerrero as Floyd's next opponent, so who knows.

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Jan 3 2013, 07:59 PM
Post #34

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,903

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Dec 30 2012, 04:51 PM) *
He seems to call out Mayweather's greed as a reason why we can't have a good undercard, my point was Oscar and other big name fighters have done the same thing, why single out one person? It is a business and no one is going to get punched in the face for the love of the sport at a professional level, they fight for prize money... Why does Mayweather get called greedy and self absorbed? Other boxers would love to get to his level. No one bitched when Oscar was getting 30 million dollar purses, but Mayweather demands the lion share and all of a sudden people care about fairness in the sport. Now if Canelo was asking for 30 million dollar purses and other names that have not earned the right to then yes he would have a argument, but we are talking about the top cat in boxing.

Im not tearing down anyone, but you can't change the rules of the game in the middle of play. You can't just acknowledge one person's fault when someone before him set the standard. The bigger name gets the bigger draw. The reason why LeBron gets Lebron money is because he is Lebron, you can't give Chris Humphries LaBron money because he isn't the man. Same thing with Floyd you can't give Floyd J'Leon Love money and vica versa. The man has earned a right to demand as much as he wants. He paid his dues so it is only right that he gets to cash in.

mayweather/ortiz was supposed to have a great undercard but fighters kept getting injured

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 3 2013, 08:34 PM
Post #35

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Jan 3 2013, 07:59 PM) *
mayweather/ortiz was supposed to have a great undercard but fighters kept getting injured

Yep, that roster of injuries was worse than a Week 9 NFL injury roster. First it was supposed to be Morales vs Crolla, then Morales vs Barrios, then Morales vs Matthysse...it all fell apart. Jessie Vargas was supposed to fight Alphonso Gomez, then he got injured. Then came Josesito Lopez as the final opponent selection. Yeah...that card had its share of issues and injuries.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 04:58 AM