IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> If the so called "Superfight" had happened, How would Floyd have fought him, what style?
BrutUalBK
post Dec 28 2012, 09:55 AM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

Well, now that the so called "Superfight" is off the table and Pac and Arum rejected a 40 million dollar payday I often wonder how/what style/manner would Floyd have chosen to box/fight Manny?

We all know that Manny only knows one way to fight, he will come forward and dart in and out-never changing tempo, never counterpunching, setting traps or timing/measuring his opponent>>>contrary to what many of his fans believe>>>he was never a Boxer in the classic sense.

Floyd is the consummate Boxer, he uses his defense to create offense (except when someone tags him, then he goes on the attack) but he does all the things you'd love to see a true Master Boxer should: he uses the ring to circle his opponents with his legs or even stands in the pocket and circles, he sets traps, shoulder rolls, uses the caging method when on the ropes, rolls with the punches when they connect, ducks/dodges, slips, punches at angles, curls his gloves to catch punches, counterpunches and then spins out on the exit, jabs to the stomach and then feints a jab to the stomach and comes back to the head. I guess I could go on and on but we've all seen it everytime he fights.

The question is which style/manner would he had used in your opinion to fight Manny, here's my take:

Floyd is a defensive fighter first, he never takes punishment unnecessarily unless he's trying to entertain the crowd (see the Augustus and Cotto fights for reference) so given that we know his true nature that's what I believe he would've stuck to. Floyd is a notoriously slow starter (unless you crack him good and make him fight, see Mosley fight for reference), so given that we know this much about him it is likely that he would've taken about 4-5 rounds and figured out Manny's speed, angles and took away his right hook then the whuppin would commence.

I believe that he would've elected after the 4th or 5th to simply stand in the pocket and make Manny miss and then counter him all night, I don't believe he ever would've came forward because he knows that Manny will only go forward plus he'd have many more opportunities to counterpunch/potshot/pick him apart as he darted in and out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Franchize
post Dec 28 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #2

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I think he would use his most underrated weapon in his arsenal for the first 4 rounds. That beautiful jab to the belly...just like he did vs Oscar. Everytime Manny would be try to set him up with a combo, he'd touch him to the belly with the jab and make Manny start from scratch. Manny would get frustrated, drop his guard, and then Floyd would go to the str8 right as a counter. Then Manny would try to engage and make Floyd throw more, walking in with his guard covering his face. Floyd would sweep the hook around the guard like he did Cotto. Manny would do his trademark fist pound and invite it in. Not being foolish, Floyd would maintain his composure and take his time. Manny would start trying to pick up the pace, land a few in the middle rounds and gain confidence only to have Floyd put it on him in the championship rounds. I don't think Floyd would stop him. I think he'd be more satisfied with tattooing Manny for 12 rounds. I think if there was a stoppage it would be by Roach or the Ref...not by KO.

+Quote Post
Plah
post Dec 29 2012, 01:04 AM
Post #3

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,629

QUOTE (Franchize @ Dec 28 2012, 03:19 PM) *
I think he would use his most underrated weapon in his arsenal for the first 4 rounds. That beautiful jab to the belly...just like he did vs Oscar. Everytime Manny would be try to set him up with a combo, he'd touch him to the belly with the jab and make Manny start from scratch. Manny would get frustrated, drop his guard, and then Floyd would go to the str8 right as a counter. Then Manny would try to engage and make Floyd throw more, walking in with his guard covering his face. Floyd would sweep the hook around the guard like he did Cotto. Manny would do his trademark fist pound and invite it in. Not being foolish, Floyd would maintain his composure and take his time. Manny would start trying to pick up the pace, land a few in the middle rounds and gain confidence only to have Floyd put it on him in the championship rounds. I don't think Floyd would stop him. I think he'd be more satisfied with tattooing Manny for 12 rounds. I think if there was a stoppage it would be by Roach or the Ref...not by KO.

This. Also, Pactards would've had left the sport in early 2010 instead of late '12. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 06:58 PM