Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lucas Matthysse
Kratza
post Dec 28 2012, 03:12 PM
Post #1

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,360

How good is Matthysse? Personally i think he's one of the best fighters at 140, i think he beats Garcia and everyone else and i also think he won the Alexander and Judah fights, but most importantly probably for him is i think he beats Maidana, Matthysse is the better boxer and they have similar power but Maidana has shown he can be hurt and especially to the body and Matthysse loves going to the body so im not sure Maidana will make it out of the fight. Probably the only person i could see Matthysse having trouble with at 140 right now is Khan, simply because of his speed, but it could all change if Matthysse catches him flush (which im sure he will as even though Khan is partnered with Hunter he still fights reckless at time).
What are your thoughts on the Argentine and how do you think he fairs against the people in and around the 140 division.

P.S. That IS how you spell his name (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

This post has been edited by Kratza: Dec 28 2012, 03:12 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Dec 28 2012, 03:29 PM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

i think his toughest fight will be against garcia. garcia is heavy handed and won't just stand there and let matthysse beat on him. i think once matthysse feels his power...he'll become less aggressive against garcia. i can't wait for this one to happen.

i think he gave away the judah and alexander fights...but u could make the case that he won both.

maidana has a couple wins over him in the amateurs..but i think maidana is more shop worn at this point so matthysse should get him.

khan would be an easy fight for matthysse.

+Quote Post
sduck
post Dec 28 2012, 04:39 PM
Post #3

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

I thought he won the Judah and Alexander fights.

+Quote Post
Plah
post Dec 29 2012, 12:49 AM
Post #4

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,629

QUOTE (sduck @ Dec 28 2012, 04:39 PM) *
I thought he won the Judah and Alexander fights.

Yeah me too... he even knocked down both of them, fucking robberies man.

For me he's a beast, hard working... very entertaining, high pressure come-forward style fighter with extremely underrated talent and defense, technique, etc. He's the best at 140 imo.

A fight with Garcia in late 2013 should be epic while it lasts.

Did any of you guys saw the video GP made of Lucas from his last 2 fights. It was great.

This post has been edited by Plah: Dec 29 2012, 01:06 AM

+Quote Post
Kratza
post Dec 29 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #5

Super Flyweight

QUOTE (Plah @ Dec 29 2012, 05:49 AM) *

For me he's a beast, hard working... very entertaining, high pressure come-forward style fighter with extremely underrated talent and defense, technique, etc. He's the best at 140 imo.

Did any of you guys saw the video GP made of Lucas from his last 2 fights. It was great.

To be honest i've never been disappointed by a GP video and the Matthysse one was no exception.

And yeah i agree he has an extremely underrated defense and skill/talent level and i see nobody at 140 who could match that except Khan simply because of Khans hand speed.

Garcia just does the basics well and has some good power but he's not unbeatable by any means, i see him losing that 0 in 2013

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Dec 29 2012, 09:16 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Plah @ Dec 29 2012, 12:49 AM) *

He's the best at 140. I think he's knocked down everyone he's fought too

I agree Garcia is his toughest fight

+Quote Post
Kratza
post Dec 30 2012, 08:25 AM
Post #7

Super Flyweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Dec 30 2012, 02:16 AM) *
He's the best at 140. I think he's knocked down everyone he's fought too

I agree Garcia is his toughest fight

He's probably the most underrated and the most ducked fighter at 140 aswell, no one wants to give him his title shot not even Danny

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Dec 30 2012, 12:25 PM
Post #8

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

Hes a good fighter not great. He can punch and hes tough. Thats about it. I saw the Judah fight and it was close. You could argue either way. There was no robbery. Now he was robbed in the Alexander fight but at the time Alexander wasnt showing much anyway.
Now it is true Matthysse has been avoided by other fighters. But dont mistake being avoided with being elite. I see that shit all the time in boxing. You see guys like Margarito, PWill, Rigo, and Lara propped up high on pedistals by the public because they cant get the fights they want. Boxing is a business first fighting second sport, and its been that way for about 20 years now.

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Dec 30 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #9

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,770

^i agree with you leonthegee. Matthyse will make anybody who faces him look bad, he is a solid and very tough opponent with a nasty style. that does not necessarily mean he is the most feared or best.

but, I think there is something to be said for the point that he wouldn't have to worry about that (Edit: by THAT, i mean getting the shorter end of the stick when it comes to bouts decided by judges) if he was American or a more 'bankable' name. and he certainly should be considered a contender for the title.

This post has been edited by wolterb: Dec 30 2012, 12:43 PM

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Dec 31 2012, 01:41 AM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Kratza @ Dec 30 2012, 09:25 AM) *
He's probably the most underrated and the most ducked fighter at 140 aswell, no one wants to give him his title shot not even Danny

+1
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Dec 30 2012, 01:25 PM) *
Hes a good fighter not great. He can punch and hes tough. Thats about it. I saw the Judah fight and it was close. You could argue either way. There was no robbery. Now he was robbed in the Alexander fight but at the time Alexander wasnt showing much anyway.
Now it is true Matthysse has been avoided by other fighters. But dont mistake being avoided with being elite. I see that shit all the time in boxing. You see guys like Margarito, PWill, Rigo, and Lara propped up high on pedistals by the public because they cant get the fights they want. Boxing is a business first fighting second sport, and its been that way for about 20 years now.

Don't know if he's a great or elite fighter, but he's no pwill, marg, or Lara. You can see him thinking in there, he's not as one dimensinal as these guys. He seems to figure guys out with his brain then break them down with his toughness.

Like I said I agree with you that he's not elite, but I don't think anyone at 140 is either (yet).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 01:03 AM