IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> if you were a black fighter...would you sign with bob arum?
daprofessor
post Jan 2 2013, 03:37 PM
Post #1

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

help refresh my memory....when was the last time arum promoted a top black fighter? it seems to me he signs them to protect his best interests.

would u sign with him if u were black?

i remember him playing the race card for kelly pavlik stating that he was being discriminated against because he was white. the black fighters he signs seem to be after thoughts.

what does this mean for tim bradley???
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Kratza
post Jan 2 2013, 04:14 PM
Post #2

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,360

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 2 2013, 08:37 PM) *
help refresh my memory....when was the last time arum promoted a top black fighter? it seems to me he signs them to protect his best interests.

i remember him playing the race card for kelly pavlik stating that he was being discriminated against because he was white. the black fighters he signs seem to be after thoughts.

With me being half and half i consider myself more black than white which im sure most of society does although its not true, i think i would sign to TR over GBP but i'd join Al Haymon over anything if i had the chance, it seems evident that Top Rank is better at promoting young fighters than GBP but i also think Al Haymon is the best at promoting young black fighter and Haymon is where the money is and any fighter who signs with him has a chance at money and stardom and thats my reasoning

I see where you're going with the last time he promoted a black fighter but technically Gamboa, Rigondeaux and Fortuna are black fighters although they are not african-americans they all come from african descent

With Tim Bradley i don't really think he would have featured in any of Bob's plans whether he was black, white, green or blue and so thats why i think he's struggling to fight big names and get a big payday although on paper he just beat one of the best fighters in the world.

+Quote Post
BigFightFan
post Jan 2 2013, 05:49 PM
Post #3

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,604

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 2 2013, 03:37 PM) *

Bradley made $5mil vs pacquiao and was offered 2 mil to fight Peterson. I think it depends on the team around you(management and advisor) that matters when you sign with any promotional company.

+Quote Post
Plah
post Jan 2 2013, 05:51 PM
Post #4

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,629

Al Haymon all the way.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 2 2013, 06:31 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Kratza @ Jan 2 2013, 05:14 PM) *
With me being half and half i consider myself more black than white which im sure most of society does although its not true, i think i would sign to TR over GBP but i'd join Al Haymon over anything if i had the chance, it seems evident that Top Rank is better at promoting young fighters than GBP but i also think Al Haymon is the best at promoting young black fighter and Haymon is where the money is and any fighter who signs with him has a chance at money and stardom and thats my reasoning

I see where you're going with the last time he promoted a black fighter but technically Gamboa, Rigondeaux and Fortuna are black fighters although they are not african-americans they all come from african descent

With Tim Bradley i don't really think he would have featured in any of Bob's plans whether he was black, white, green or blue and so thats why i think he's struggling to fight big names and get a big payday although on paper he just beat one of the best fighters in the world.

no arguments on that. i agree, but are/were they being promoted by arum? gamboa had that fall out with arum over not wanting to extend his contract...and arum trying to serve him up to rios who is a physically bigger fighter but much lower skill level. that is an illustration of a promoter not exactly looking out for gamboa's best interest. ridondeaux has a title...and is a two time gold medalist!!! this guy is definitely something special...and arum really isn't pushing him.

i agree with ur take on haymon...he's definitely filling a void left by don king who knew how to promote any fighter.

technically...he is promoting gamboa even though 50 bought out his contract...and rigondeaux...but i can't help but think they should be bigger stars. let's not forget...the peterson brothers were both signed with arum. they really took back seat in that company. so did zahir raheem, joshua clottey and what ever happened to that black jewish guy he promoted anthony 'the messenger' thompson?

i can't help but think that arums plans with pac/bradley failed and bradley became the casualty in all of that. i don't see any real push for him to promote bradley and i seriously doubt bradley is going to flourish under him. i hope i'm wrong...but the pattern exists. i would be totally shocked if arum started putting on some 'black power' cards similar to the ones he was doing with donaire and his 'pinoy power' cards. i won't hold my breath.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 2 2013, 06:34 PM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jan 2 2013, 06:49 PM) *
Bradley made $5mil vs pacquiao and was offered 2 mil to fight Peterson. I think it depends on the team around you(management and advisor) that matters when you sign with any promotional company.

i thought bradley had good management in thompson promotions...they basically built him...then he signed with gary shaw who helped some. when he let his contract expire with gary shaw...he got a new manager, cameron dunkin, who works closely with bob arum. dunkin seems to act in the best interest of top rank more than anything. anyone remember how they did kelly pavlik?

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 2 2013, 09:48 PM
Post #7

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 2 2013, 03:34 PM) *
i thought bradley had good management in thompson promotions...they basically built him...then he signed with gary shaw who helped some. when he let his contract expire with gary shaw...he got a new manager, cameron dunkin, who works closely with bob arum. dunkin seems to act in the best interest of top rank more than anything. anyone remember how they did kelly pavlik?

Where else would they go. Don King is a crook and GBP is for the Mexican boxer. Other promoters are too small to really get their name out. 50 maybe the answer but he already has beef with GBP and they have a lot of good fighters. Arum seems to be willing to promote people who enjoy getting bent over and smiling while getting bent over. The question is how can they promote themselves? One thing I respect about Oscar, Cotto, and May is that when they got off of the plantation and left their slave master they went in for themselves. They became the middle man and they have benefited greatly. Al Haymon seems to be doing well for African Americans but he is the minority of boxing promoters. The thing is more boxers need to learn and become experts of the business side of boxing so they can have their own promotion companies and be able to offer other boxers greater revenue than TR and other promotional companies.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jan 2 2013, 09:51 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

the question is if you were any fighter would you sell your soul to the devil lol

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jan 3 2013, 12:21 AM
Post #9

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

If I was a pro fighter or looking to turn pro, I'd roll with Haymon. He is clearly the manager/adviser who knows and does what it takes to nurture a talent and that just so happens to be mostly black fighters.

I'd never sign with TR and any black fighter who does deserves rotting in the wasteland they put themselves in. Arum has done numerous interviews where he claims that blacks don't buy ppv's which is total bs, but everyone knows you aint about to sell black folks a line of shit and think they gon go for it. Why would blacks continuously shell out their hard earned money to see fighters that don't resemble them. You have to make an effort to appeal to different markets, and Arum only goes after one demographic

Arum is the Mitt Romey of boxing. When Todd Duboef takes over TR will be different, until then people can expect what they're getting now. Dibella, Shaw..I would sign to them even though there a smaller company. Kathy Duva and Main Events is a company I'd sign to as well

This post has been edited by mrchitown: Jan 3 2013, 12:21 AM

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jan 3 2013, 12:23 AM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 2 2013, 10:48 PM) *
Where else would they go. Don King is a crook and GBP is for the Mexican boxer. Other promoters are too small to really get their name out. 50 maybe the answer but he already has beef with GBP and they have a lot of good fighters. Arum seems to be willing to promote people who enjoy getting bent over and smiling while getting bent over. The question is how can they promote themselves? One thing I respect about Oscar, Cotto, and May is that when they got off of the plantation and left their slave master they went in for themselves. They became the middle man and they have benefited greatly. Al Haymon seems to be doing well for African Americans but he is the minority of boxing promoters. The thing is more boxers need to learn and become experts of the business side of boxing so they can have their own promotion companies and be able to offer other boxers greater revenue than TR and other promotional companies.

Haymon? I know the guy shy's away from the cameras but he does exist... I think lol

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 03:22 AM