Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Kelly Pavlik to retire
KOpower
post Jan 19 2013, 04:20 PM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,081

He said he doesn't want to risk his health and he doesn't have the motivation to train at a high level. He is only 30. It sucks because he makes some exciting fights. I would love to see him in there with Froch, Kessler, or Bute. Those are all exciting fights. Pavlik just lost the desire. It wouldn't be surprising to see him back in 2 or 3 years.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Cheesey1
post Jan 19 2013, 04:53 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

That sucks, but I respect his decision.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jan 19 2013, 05:49 PM
Post #3

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

Can't fault him for that, a fighter knows

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 19 2013, 06:03 PM
Post #4

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

thanks for a great career and memories!!! i wish him well.

i'll just echo...i would have loved to see him fight froch! that was a very winnable fight for him.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jan 20 2013, 12:59 AM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Great especially if he's back to drinking and especially since he acknowledges that he doesn't have motivation to train at a high level. That's how you get retired if you get back to the ring

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Jan 20 2013, 12:11 PM
Post #6

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,355

I have always liked Kelly. I was pretty sad when he got into alcohol and I was actually looking forward to his return against Ward.
In boxing, when you worry about your health too much, you will never give it 100% as you are more in the "stay safe" mode rather than in "Let me dish it out" mode.

I hope he'll be ok and the alcohol won't return into his suddenly "unemployed" hand.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 20 2013, 02:53 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

They all say this until they miss the roar of the crowd, the exposure, the big money purses, and the life of a boxer. He will be back. He needs to clear his head. Look at Sweet and Low Mosley, he can't hang them up, the Real Deal Holyfied can't let go either. Roy Jones who really needs to stop has a match this year. I pray Pavlik gets his mind right, he has heart and he just needs a vacation.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jan 20 2013, 05:37 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 20 2013, 02:53 PM) *
They all say this until they miss the roar of the crowd, the exposure, the big money purses, and the life of a boxer. He will be back. He needs to clear his head. Look at Sweet and Low Mosley, he can't hang them up, the Real Deal Holyfied can't let go either. Roy Jones who really needs to stop has a match this year. I pray Pavlik gets his mind right, he has heart and he just needs a vacation.

All the guys you have mentioned have had bad money problems, which is the reason they are in boxing still.

Some older guys who haven't retired for the love of the sport could he Hopkins marquez maybe Ma
rtinez even...

But I remember when he was involved in Bute talks he talked about retiring because he felt disrespected because of the money offered. I believe he said something about being good financially if I'm not mistaken.

This post has been edited by checkleft: Jan 20 2013, 05:42 PM

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Jan 20 2013, 06:11 PM
Post #9

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 19 2013, 06:03 PM) *
thanks for a great career and memories!!! i wish him well.

i'll just echo...i would have loved to see him fight froch! that was a very winnable fight for him.

I immediately thought of you when I heard this.

Kelly had a lot of heart and I wanted to see him match talents vs a few fighters but I can't blame him for handing em up. Honestly, he didn't seem motivated in his last fight and let's be frank, if you're not in it mentally, the last person you need to be fighting is Andre Ward.

The hyperbole was there in the beginning about this guy and I had my questions about his skill but I've always appreciated the heart he brought to the ring. Unlike many sob stories, his story about roughing it in Youngstown was very compelling and inspiring. Kelly was the epitome of that blue collar fighter. I hope he finds peace in his down time and uses it productively. In other words, I hope those demons have escaped him for good and he goes on to bigger and better things. Wouldn't mind seeing him pick up training and teaching some youngster that wicked 1-2 he delivered so beautifully straight down the pipe throughout his career.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 22 2013, 02:10 PM
Post #10

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I'm glad he decided to call it quits, but I feel that he could've waited around for the Ward fight.

Since Ward recently had surgery, I feel that Pavlik would've had a bit more time to prepare and do some soul-searching while he was at it. Trust me, I'm not knocking his decision, but I just wished that he would've gotten that last big payday that he came back and worked hard for.

He had the Ward fight in his back pocket, and if push came to shove, he could've still gotten a big payday against Chavez, if it came down to it. At the end of the day, Im glad that he decided what was best.

Im just big on fighters being financially stable after they leave, excuse me for being a douche. I just cant get with the likes of Shane Mosley giving it a go...50 million times. I believe he'll be the guy to "Brett Favre" it, for the rest of his career.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 01:27 PM