Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skills vs. Popularity
Dolimite
post Jan 26 2013, 10:52 AM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,803

Boxing is a business the more popular you are the more money and fan base a fighter has. It seems sometimes in the sport of boxing a fighter's popular can cover the lack of skill a fighter has. For example: Mikey Garcia, an up and coming fighter isn't your typical Mexican fighter he moves around jabs and his defense, his skills are rising fast but his popularity isn't where it should be. Andrea Ward is another example, his skills are off the chart but his popularity is so so. Sergio Martinez who is a top Middle weight has great skills but his popularity isn't where it should be. Juan Manuel Marquez is just now getting the publicity that he should have already had because his skill set is very high. Shane Mosley would be the poster child for this category. Sweet Pea never got the crowd to wear it needed to be and Roy Jones as quiet as it is kept.

"Fighters" like Chavez Jr. who shouldn't even be in the ring has a fan base that the aforementioned fighters should have. The kid is a rock star with an average skill set, and that is due to his laziness. Saul Alvarez who has yet to be tested and his opponents has only showcased his strengths has a following of a mega rock star. Michael Jackson status. Others who make this list would be Manny Pacquiao (Pacquiao's boxing skill not style of fighting is what I am looking at. He is an exciting fighter and has had great wars and fights but his skill level as a boxer is average at best) is a a demigod. Paulie Maliggini (spelling is off) and Gattie (RIP) would also be in this category. Again I am looking at the skill set not the type of fighter that they are.

It is very rare that you have a fighter who is popular and has the skill set to match his popularity: Ali, Foreman, Joe Louis, Frasier, Hearns, Sugar Robinson, Mayweather, Duran, De La Hoya, Tyson and a slue of others.

If a boxer has the popularity but not the skill set should that boxer be praised as being one of the premier fighters or should they be viewed as hype, the boxer with the skill set and not the popularity or fan base should they be looked as a top fighter with no fan base or should promoters and cable companies create a venue for their skill set to be seen?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigDDatHomey
post Jan 26 2013, 07:07 PM
Post #2

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 12,802

I'm thinking that if you don't have the skills, sooner or later, you will be exposed. Boxing is a business, however, people don't typically follow losers.

Skills pay the bills....

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 26 2013, 07:43 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ Jan 26 2013, 04:07 PM) *
I'm thinking that if you don't have the skills, sooner or later, you will be exposed. Boxing is a business, however, people don't typically follow losers.

Skills pay the bills....

Chavez Jr. has money and he has little skills. Pac is a very rich man and he and he has done very well for himself, especially for a boxer with little technical and fighting skills, no jab and average defense well just average. Paulie Magic Man isn't that great and he is doing damn well with a good following.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Jan 26 2013, 09:12 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 26 2013, 10:52 AM) *
Boxing is a business the more popular you are the more money and fan base a fighter has. It seems sometimes in the sport of boxing a fighter's popular can cover the lack of skill a fighter has. For example: Mikey Garcia, an up and coming fighter isn't your typical Mexican fighter he moves around jabs and his defense, his skills are rising fast but his popularity isn't where it should be. Andrea Ward is another example, his skills are off the chart but his popularity is so so. Sergio Martinez who is a top Middle weight has great skills but his popularity isn't where it should be. Juan Manuel Marquez is just now getting the publicity that he should have already had because his skill set is very high. Shane Mosley would be the poster child for this category. Sweet Pea never got the crowd to wear it needed to be and Roy Jones as quiet as it is kept.

"Fighters" like Chavez Jr. who shouldn't even be in the ring has a fan base that the aforementioned fighters should have. The kid is a rock star with an average skill set, and that is due to his laziness. Saul Alvarez who has yet to be tested and his opponents has only showcased his strengths has a following of a mega rock star. Michael Jackson status. Others who make this list would be Manny Pacquiao (Pacquiao's boxing skill not style of fighting is what I am looking at. He is an exciting fighter and has had great wars and fights but his skill level as a boxer is average at best) is a a demigod. Paulie Maliggini (spelling is off) and Gattie (RIP) would also be in this category. Again I am looking at the skill set not the type of fighter that they are.

It is very rare that you have a fighter who is popular and has the skill set to match his popularity: Ali, Foreman, Joe Louis, Frasier, Hearns, Sugar Robinson, Mayweather, Duran, De La Hoya, Tyson and a slue of others.

If a boxer has the popularity but not the skill set should that boxer be praised as being one of the premier fighters or should they be viewed as hype, the boxer with the skill set and not the popularity or fan base should they be looked as a top fighter with no fan base or should promoters and cable companies create a venue for their skill set to be seen?

You're right. Boxers aren't born popular, they're created. Some are more "fan friendly" (not a 'fan' of that phrase) than others, but the popular boxers that are average are definitely pushed in that direction by preferential press, cable etc. treatment.

I put most of the blame on the shoulders of the boxing press. They don't inform properly, they tend to misinform re. who's who and what's what.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jan 27 2013, 05:58 AM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

The media really, although am not sure how someone like Chavez Jr is popular, guy uses every advantage he can get and I hate the motherfucker

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Jan 27 2013, 09:46 AM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 27 2013, 05:58 AM) *
The media really, although am not sure how someone like Chavez Jr is popular, guy uses every advantage he can get and I hate the motherfucker

I agree with you. I hate that MF'er too! He's popular because of his father's legacy. Without his daddy, Chavez Jr is Donny Lalonde, just waiting for SRL to come handle him. Jr gets away with bloody murder, either coming in 20lbs over the limit on fight night or just juicing and not havint to take piss tests. All this because he belongs to one of Mexico's royal families of boxing... I hate him and was glad to see Serge beat him down.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jan 27 2013, 10:34 AM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 26 2013, 07:43 PM) *
Chavez Jr. has money and he has little skills. Pac is a very rich man and he and he has done very well for himself, especially for a boxer with little technical and fighting skills, no jab and average defense well just average. Paulie Magic Man isn't that great and he is doing damn well with a good following.

Chavez is a brat, but pac is an athletic freak which is why he gets by without a lot of skill. And Paulie has one of the best skills a fighter can have, he has ring IQ. He may not have super speed, durable hands or power but he still wins at a high level with his brain.

Chavez Jr just inherited a popular name. And as much as I hate to admit it most of uss Mexicans are very ignorant about boxing. For gods sake they worship Canelo alvarez like he's the second coming of Jesus

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 27 2013, 06:28 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 27 2013, 07:34 AM) *
Chavez is a brat, but pac is an athletic freak which is why he gets by without a lot of skill. And Paulie has one of the best skills a fighter can have, he has ring IQ. He may not have super speed, durable hands or power but he still wins at a high level with his brain.

Chavez Jr just inherited a popular name. And as much as I hate to admit it most of uss Mexicans are very ignorant about boxing. For gods sake they worship Canelo alvarez like he's the second coming of Jesus

Dude it is all good. Yawl really push the sport and keep it alive. Chavez Jr. is a fucking joke and to be honest I hope he gets dusted for the rest of his fights. Saul if he does fight Trout will be exposed and if he fights Mayweather then he will know what boxing is all about.

Great post fellas.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jan 28 2013, 04:53 AM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (checkleft @ Jan 27 2013, 03:34 PM) *

Dude didn't you know Canelo will KO all the greats inside of a round using one hand if you asked one of his fans

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jan 28 2013, 09:09 AM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jan 28 2013, 05:53 AM) *
Dude didn't you know Canelo will KO all the greats inside of a round using one hand if you asked one of his fans

One hand? Both hands tied

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 08:59 AM