> Tragic! Boxer dies after TKO loss, Safety
BigFightFan
post Jan 30 2013, 11:21 PM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,604

http://m.worldstarhiphop.com/video.php?v=w...e095252VZxCdQ5x

We as boxing fans always talk about ways to improve the sport of boxing, but neglect the issue of fighter safety. I want to know what you guys think can be implemented to reduce the risk of long term effects from being hit in the head repeatedly. Also what effect would those issue have on the fan base and popularity of the sport. I was thinking maybe go to a mandatory 14 ounce glove size for all fights and maybe even making headgear mandatory, which I know will not be popular with hardcore or casual fans.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Cheesey1
post Jan 30 2013, 11:31 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jan 30 2013, 11:21 PM) *
http://m.worldstarhiphop.com/video.php?v=w...e095252VZxCdQ5x

We as boxing fans always talk about ways to improve the sport of boxing, but neglect the issue of fighter safety. I want to know what you guys think can be implemented to reduce the risk of long term effects from being hit in the head repeatedly. Also what effect would those issue have on the fan base and popularity of the sport. I was thinking maybe go to a mandatory 14 ounce glove size for all fights and maybe even making headgear mandatory, which I know will not be popular with hardcore or casual fans.

The heavier gloves I can see being adapted (maybe) but the headgear highly unlikely. I think that referees should be encouraged to stop fights as soon as they think that real, life threatening damage is being done. Who cares if the fans or press complain, they aren't in the ring getting pummelled. Also, was a competent doctor ringside in this case?
A better organized sport will be able to regulate things so that there are always competent medical professionals ringside to check the boxers as the bout progresses.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Jan 30 2013, 11:45 PM
Post #3

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jan 30 2013, 11:31 PM) *
The heavier gloves I can see being adapted (maybe) but the headgear highly unlikely. I think that referees should be encouraged to stop fights as soon as they think that real, life threatening damage is being done. Who cares if the fans or press complain, they aren't in the ring getting pummelled. Also, was a competent doctor ringside in this case?
A better organized sport will be able to regulate things so that there are always competent medical professionals ringside to check the boxers as the bout progresses.

In a sport like boxing some things are non-avoidable. Its unfortunate but thats just the way it is. A doctor ringside wont always fix the situation. Look how fast things changed in Pac-Marquez 4. the break prior Pacquiao was in a better condition to fight than Marquez who was breathing through a BROKEN nose! Marquez could've died in that ring if that blood was trickling down the wrong spot! But look how fast things changed in a single second. Marquez could've killed Pacman if he got him in the right spot. Thats just to show that not everything is avoidable in a sport like this no matter how many regulations/resources/testing you add. While we observers SHOULD make it our moral responsibility to make sure fighters have the optimal amount of safety attainable when they step in the ring, fighters have to also be aware that no regulation, drug test, or resource will change the fact that boxing is a deadly sport. Fighters will die. There comes a point where the safety of a fighter is solely a fighters responsibility. Every time you decide to step in the ring to fight EVEN for training camp you put your life at risk. Its up to a fighter to decide if the risk is ultimately worth it. Its a contact sport...

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 01:01 PM