IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "If it wasn't for me the game would be dead" - Muhammad Ali, A few questions on the G.O.A.T.
Gambit808
post Feb 2 2013, 09:38 PM
Post #11

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 2 2013, 07:02 PM) *
Without a doubt he was the greatest in the sense of promoting the sport to the level that the world wanted him to succeed in his fight against the U.S> Govt standing up as a Humanitarian and making a very bold statement during an era where racism was still a part of the norm/outright and condoned by law when he said "Ain't no Vietnamese ever called me nigg_"!

As far as his skills, I wouldn't say he was the greatest, he had his flaws but his underrated physical toughness and ability to take any shot and not be KO'd was second to none, even the big punching George Foreman couldn't stand up to Muhammad's punches but yet Ali was able to take everything the hardest puncher in boxing had thrown and still put him to sleep.

Ali did transcend the sport with his popularity and make it the most popular sport in the world because of his stance against the system of oppression that was not only recognized in America but for those who were impoverished world-wide.

Yes, he was/is the Greatest in that sense this sport has ever known.

Good Post.

In terms of all around skill, who would you say ranks better?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Feb 2 2013, 09:39 PM
Post #12

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 2 2013, 12:16 AM) *
Though I wasn't yet born in his era of fighting, having studied tapes of Ali's fights, I wouldn't be upset if someone thought Ali was the best. He transcended the sport not only in his era but his presence is still being felt in the sport and the world today. Jot too many athletes outside of him, Jordan, and a few others can lay claim to that. But... Pep and Ray Robinson also deserve a mention as the GOAT

Top 5 greatest, who ya got?

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Feb 2 2013, 11:08 PM
Post #13

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,770

I'm always drawn to fighters that either stand for or come to represent issues much larger than sports. Ali defintely is one of the greatest for that, Alexis Arguello too. Vitali Klitschko is a contemporary example that no one knows shit about and won't care to know.

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Feb 2 2013, 11:13 PM
Post #14

Featherweight

Ali brought character and knew how to incite an audience too - that is another quality that made him such a force

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Feb 3 2013, 12:23 AM
Post #15

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 2 2013, 01:16 AM) *
Though I wasn't yet born in his era of fighting, having studied tapes of Ali's fights, I wouldn't be upset if someone thought Ali was the best. He transcended the sport not only in his era but his presence is still being felt in the sport and the world today. Jot too many athletes outside of him, Jordan, and a few others can lay claim to that. But... Pep and Ray Robinson also deserve a mention as the GOAT

My boy pep!

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 3 2013, 03:43 AM
Post #16

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Feb 2 2013, 07:22 PM) *
Ali getting waylaid by the system in his prime, definitely affected him. As an overall boxing product (in and outside of the ring), I'm fine with him being considered the greatest. Inside the ring, the debates can go on forever.

i don't believe his in the ring exploits alone are what make him the greatest...it's a combination of all he has done in and out of the ring. no athlete on his level has ever gave it all up for what he believed in and won!!! he will forever be the greatest imo.

+Quote Post
duwdu
post Feb 3 2013, 04:27 AM
Post #17

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 11,536

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 2 2013, 08:02 PM) *
Without a doubt he was the greatest in the sense of promoting the sport to the level that the world wanted him to succeed in his fight against the U.S> Govt standing up as a Humanitarian and making a very bold statement during an era where racism was still a part of the norm/outright and condoned by law when he said "Ain't no Vietnamese ever called me nigg_"!

As far as his skills, I wouldn't say he was the greatest, he had his flaws but his underrated physical toughness and ability to take any shot and not be KO'd was second to none, even the big punching George Foreman couldn't stand up to Muhammad's punches but yet Ali was able to take everything the hardest puncher in boxing had thrown and still put him to sleep.

Ali did transcend the sport with his popularity and make it the most popular sport in the world because of his stance against the system of oppression that was not only recognized in America but for those who were impoverished world-wide.

Yes, he was/is the Greatest in that sense this sport has ever known.

^^This.

P34c3

+Quote Post
duwdu
post Feb 3 2013, 05:22 AM
Post #18

Super Flyweight

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Feb 2 2013, 08:22 PM) *
Ali getting waylaid by the system in his prime, definitely affected him. As an overall boxing product (in and outside of the ring), I'm fine with him being considered the greatest. Inside the ring, the debates can go on forever.

+1.

Plus, he was such a good role model of an upright family man, with no marriage vices that I know about. I don't remember whether his conversion to Islam had an influence on him in that respect, or if he was naturally so.

Ali neither learnt nor knew/know how to read, yet he was very sharp of intellect with regards to politics, religion, and popular science; he bested his interviewers greater than 90% of the time in my estimation, and voiced the most catchy and memorable poems and prose ever by any sportsman, dead or alive.

"I float like a butterfly,
Sting like a bee."

"....telling all the people out there
Who're betting on Sonny
That I'm gonna lose their money."

"It's gonna be
A thriller,
And a chiller,
When I meet the Gorilla,
In Manila."

"I predict that tonight [vs Liston, 1] somebody will die at ringside from shock!"

Overall, Ali made it such a thrilling era.

Were it not for his brushes with the then law and establishment, there would never have been any controversy or disagreement over Ali's uniqueness or greatness. But then, there would not have been the complete package, "Ali."

P34c3

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Feb 3 2013, 12:01 PM
Post #19

Featherweight

^No reason to get into details but I don't think it is accurate to describe Ali as an upright family man with no marriage vices.

+Quote Post
duwdu
post Feb 3 2013, 05:35 PM
Post #20

Super Flyweight

QUOTE (wolterb @ Feb 3 2013, 01:01 PM) *
^No reason to get into details but I don't think it is accurate to describe Ali as an upright family man with no marriage vices.

Fair point,. May be I should have been more explicit about the period in his life for which that would be seen as accurate. I did refer to the influence of his religion though. Thanks

.P34c3

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 01:09 PM