IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is he better now or then?? Is his legs gone?? (Floyd Mayweather), Did he lose a step or two?? You be the Judge
BrutUalBK
post Feb 12 2013, 06:03 PM
Post #1

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

Many people say that Floyd is better today than he was years ago but honestly I must say that the younger, faster Floyd got hit far less than he does today and I know that makes for a more action-packed/competitive bout because he's taking more risks standing in the pocket and trading but he never got hit as much when he was using his legs more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK9en6g9JTQ <<<His Defensive abilities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK9en6g9JTQ <<<His Offensive abilities

Though the uneducated casual observer (those who do not know the difference between Boxing and Brawling) would say he was a Runner, I still favored his earlier style using his legs to box and not get hit than I do the more Crowd Pleasing Style today.

So, is he better today or then? Or did he lose a step or two??

Your thoughts???
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Feb 12 2013, 06:31 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

we'll see in the Guererro fight if his legs are gone, I think they might be to be honest, I mean now for a while he's not been moving around the ring that much, and fight by fight hes standing in the pocket more. I don't believe its because he wants a fan friendly style I think its more because he can't do what he used to, I mean not everybody can be Hopkins.

He's definitely more experienced, I think a match with someone like Castillo with his experience now at the first fight would be a different story

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 12 2013, 06:44 PM
Post #3

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 12 2013, 07:31 PM) *
we'll see in the Guererro fight if his legs are gone, I think they might be to be honest, I mean now for a while he's not been moving around the ring that much, and fight by fight hes standing in the pocket more. I don't believe its because he wants a fan friendly style I think its more because he can't do what he used to, I mean not everybody can be Hopkins.

He's definitely more experienced, I think a match with someone like Castillo with his experience now at the first fight would be a different story

well said.

+Quote Post
pimpfighterROQ
post Feb 12 2013, 07:04 PM
Post #4

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,368

Well he is 36 now. That is old in boxing standards. Even though he's defense is in a class of its own...the training he goes through. It's wear and tear on the body. But he's so good that even with this readily forseen handicap, I don't see him losing anytime soon.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 12 2013, 07:31 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (pimpfighterROQ @ Feb 12 2013, 08:04 PM) *
Well he is 36 now. That is old in boxing standards. Even though he's defense is in a class of its own...the training he goes through. It's wear and tear on the body. But he's so good that even with this readily forseen handicap, I don't see him losing anytime soon.

i think guerrero is going to make him look all of his 36 yrs.

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Feb 12 2013, 07:52 PM
Post #6

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 12 2013, 06:31 PM) *

I agree with this. He just can't move with those reflexes anymore, even his timing and accuracy of throwing punches has been off, he misses more often now than ever before. The time may be now and right for the right fighter to come along and knock him off his perch but they'll still have to get through his artful defense.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Feb 12 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Feb 12 2013, 06:03 PM) *
Many people say that Floyd is better today than he was years ago but honestly I must say that the younger, faster Floyd got hit far less than he does today and I know that makes for a more action-packed/competitive bout because he's taking more risks standing in the pocket and trading but he never got hit as much when he was using his legs more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK9en6g9JTQ <<<His Defensive abilities

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK9en6g9JTQ <<<His Offensive abilities

Though the uneducated casual observer (those who do not know the difference between Boxing and Brawling) would say he was a Runner, I still favored his earlier style using his legs to box and not get hit than I do the more Crowd Pleasing Style today.

So, is he better today or then? Or did he lose a step or two??

Your thoughts???

He just doesn't use them. He can move

In boxing if you use your legs too much you end up getting caught in a position your at a disadvantage or you'll get hit pulling back. Plus floyds upper body movement is so good why move much? And as you guys have mentioned he is a lot older so getting hit pulling back could be disasterous.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Feb 12 2013, 09:59 PM
Post #8

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

I don't know if I'd say his legs are gone, but he's slowed down some and I noticed that in the Ortiz fight. He won but it wasn't what most of his fans are used to seeing from him. The Cotto fight only reinforced that he's slowed down. But that's to be expected. He is turning 36 this month.

Given that though, he's still head and shoulders above the competition due to his defensive abilities and his boxing IQ. As far as him being better now or then, it depends on what your looking at or for. Regardless if he fights Canelo later this yr and Guerrero in May, I think he wins both fights. I see nothing in Guerrero that makes him a formidable foe for Mayweather. The people championing his performances at WW make me lol

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Feb 13 2013, 01:15 AM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 12 2013, 09:59 PM) *
I don't know if I'd say his legs are gone, but he's slowed down some and I noticed that in the Ortiz fight. He won but it wasn't what most of his fans are used to seeing from him. The Cotto fight only reinforced that he's slowed down. But that's to be expected. He is turning 36 this month.

Given that though, he's still head and shoulders above the competition due to his defensive abilities and his boxing IQ. As far as him being better now or then, it depends on what your looking at or for. Regardless if he fights Canelo later this yr and Guerrero in May, I think he wins both fights. I see nothing in Guerrero that makes him a formidable foe for Mayweather. The people championing his performances at WW make me lol

+1

Completely agree. Alexander has a better resume even tho both dont deserve the fight, but there isn't enough competition. Who has guerrero fought? A laid off coming off a loss berto and a unheard of untested untelevised foreigner. Not to mention he needed to use a bunch of dirty tactics and blind California refs to do it

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Feb 13 2013, 04:04 AM
Post #10

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,355

I don't understand how this can even be an issue to some people. Hes 36 goddamn years old, of course he is not "running" around the ring like he used to, of course his reflexes are slower etc.
What is more important to me is the way how he adapted to his body getting older. He is not trying to outrun father time and do all the "running" as if he was in his 20s. He uses his upper body more, stands in the pocket more and exploits his opponent's weaknesses better. You can still count noticeable and big punches that hit him throughout the WHOLE fight on one hand.

That to me is much more interesting than his legs POSSIBLY getting shut. I believe that he could still use them for 15 rounds if he wanted or was forced to. His training regimen is second to none. (B-Hop comes to mind though).

Not many fighters can adapt to the schedule of father time.

I am a fan of Floyd so I may be a little bit biased. But I have never seen somebodys legs being discussed as much as Floyds....as if his legs were the only one in the world (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by mitukczuk: Feb 13 2013, 08:12 AM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 08:52 AM