Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> legendary nights returns to hbo
daprofessor
post Mar 26 2013, 07:04 PM
Post #1

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

guess what they're covering??? you guessed it...the gatti/ward trilogy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

between merchants love of gatti...

followed by lampley's love of merchant/gatti

followed by the gatti award....

and anything remotely similar to gatti/ward....

it's overwhelmingly clear to me where hbo is headed. i think chitown hit it on the nose with his assessment of floyd leaving hbo. after all...floyd was the guy who made gatti look very ordinary. merchant did continuously shit on floyd. pac, in essence...was another gatti who they praised highly. they can't seem to get their fill. i thought the guy was a decent fighter and i felt bad for him when he was served up to oscar, gomez and baldomir, but i was never convinced he was anything great. special...sort of. he was a tough dude. may he rest in peace. it's clear hbo, merchant and lampley will never let us forget him.

which brings me to question....

i remember john ruiz changing his style to appease larry merchant and losing badly to james toney in the process. i thought he would have done much better had he stuck to his original style. i wonder how much influence hbo/lampley/kellerman had over bradley fighting the way he did against ruslan??? i wouldn't doubt there was some power of suggestion going on there. it would have been nice to be a fly on the wall that day.

on a side note....which fights do you think they should cover on the next series???

i'm willing to bet they leave floyd out the series. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Mar 26 2013, 08:03 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
mrchitown
post Mar 26 2013, 08:21 PM
Post #2

Light Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

I am very much looking forward to this. They definitely went thru a exciting 3 fights together and let's face it, we can never mention the other's name without mentioning the other one as well. The same way Castillo will forever be connected to Corrales, the same way SRR and Lamotta, Ali and Frazier are linked so does these two fighters

But you raise an interesting point here Professor, about the seemingly endless sausage fest that HBO, Lampley, and that fakes ass Bert Sugar have with Gatti/Ward and relating it to Manny (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Floyd bolted due to the lack of respect he was shown by HBO and he obviously liked the structure of HBO when Greenburg was running the show. He creates 24/7 only to be bad mouthed and ridiculed by his rivals in a show he created, then he's blasted by commentators for every little thing. The true colors came out when Lampley did his last fight game show and kinda sneak dissed Mayweather. I like Hershman but he's always been a second tier guy and it appears Floyd is like a woman who got stood up on prom and now HBO is about to feel his wrath

It does appear that HBO is looking for the next "gladiator" like boxer to carry the network on his back. Could be Rios since Manny has been on a decline for a while now. But it's clearly apparent that from a commentary standpoint that HBO doesn't favor the pure boxer or master technician....as far as Bradley's choice of fighting style, I think he admitted that he came out there aggressive and with something to prove, but who knows what was said in the fighter meeting the day before

They haven't said if they'll be doing more after this one, but they did say this one will be an hour special. But if they do decide to make more I'd like to see Corrales-Castillo, Vazquez-Marquez, Pacquiao-JMM, DLH-Mayweather, Hatton-Mayweather, eventually the Bradley-Provodnikov fight and thee JCC jr-Martinez fight should be documented by the legendary nights series. They should do one on the Cotto-Margarito fights too. I'm sure there's more but add on anything I've left out
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 07:44 AM