Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> legendary nights returns to hbo
daprofessor
post Mar 26 2013, 07:04 PM
Post #1

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

guess what they're covering??? you guessed it...the gatti/ward trilogy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

between merchants love of gatti...

followed by lampley's love of merchant/gatti

followed by the gatti award....

and anything remotely similar to gatti/ward....

it's overwhelmingly clear to me where hbo is headed. i think chitown hit it on the nose with his assessment of floyd leaving hbo. after all...floyd was the guy who made gatti look very ordinary. merchant did continuously shit on floyd. pac, in essence...was another gatti who they praised highly. they can't seem to get their fill. i thought the guy was a decent fighter and i felt bad for him when he was served up to oscar, gomez and baldomir, but i was never convinced he was anything great. special...sort of. he was a tough dude. may he rest in peace. it's clear hbo, merchant and lampley will never let us forget him.

which brings me to question....

i remember john ruiz changing his style to appease larry merchant and losing badly to james toney in the process. i thought he would have done much better had he stuck to his original style. i wonder how much influence hbo/lampley/kellerman had over bradley fighting the way he did against ruslan??? i wouldn't doubt there was some power of suggestion going on there. it would have been nice to be a fly on the wall that day.

on a side note....which fights do you think they should cover on the next series???

i'm willing to bet they leave floyd out the series. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Mar 26 2013, 08:03 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
BrutUalBK
post Mar 27 2013, 01:00 PM
Post #2

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

I loved the Legendary Night Series (LNS), my favorites are obviously Hagler vs Hearns, Arguello vs Pryor 1 & 2 but unlike the Professor I believe that HBO isn't stupid enough to leave out a LNS and leave their beHated FMJr out of the picture.

Let's not forget that HBO owns the rights to his fights and do not have to share with any other network and also keep in mind that their highest viewership of boxing related stories/fights are always with Floyd so I know they will try to capitalize on viewers for their ratings if nothing else.

HBO has obviously gotten to TB which is why he fought the way he did, had he simply boxed then he would've put on a relative easy clinic (see rounds 6-10 in that fight for reference).

HBO has actually did Floyd a favor in promoting him with their Hate Campaign because it made many tune in to his fights just to see if someone would put him to sleep, on the other hand though, it made Mayweather despise them because he helped to popularize their network and I believe Greenburg knew this too which is why he saw the light at the end of the tunnel and followed Floyd to Showtime.

HBO realizes the utter futility of their bad reckoning after the fact and losing two cashcows (Floyd and Greenburg) who are the chief reasons many viewers watched is the equivalent of MP leaving Arum (too bad that won't happen).

HBO favors the Brawler which is why they usually hated on Hopkins and Floyd, many who do not understand the art of boxing say that their styles are boring, they have their next Gatti in Rios, they're looking for Bradley to be their new MP and should either of them fall by the wayside then never fear they still have Alvarado to parade around.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 27 2013, 07:35 PM
Post #3

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 27 2013, 01:00 PM) *
I loved the Legendary Night Series (LNS), my favorites are obviously Hagler vs Hearns, Arguello vs Pryor 1 & 2 but unlike the Professor I believe that HBO isn't stupid enough to leave out a LNS and leave their beHated FMJr out of the picture.

Let's not forget that HBO owns the rights to his fights and do not have to share with any other network and also keep in mind that their highest viewership of boxing related stories/fights are always with Floyd so I know they will try to capitalize on viewers for their ratings if nothing else.

HBO has obviously gotten to TB which is why he fought the way he did, had he simply boxed then he would've put on a relative easy clinic (see rounds 6-10 in that fight for reference).

HBO has actually did Floyd a favor in promoting him with their Hate Campaign because it made many tune in to his fights just to see if someone would put him to sleep, on the other hand though, it made Mayweather despise them because he helped to popularize their network and I believe Greenburg knew this too which is why he saw the light at the end of the tunnel and followed Floyd to Showtime.

HBO realizes the utter futility of their bad reckoning after the fact and losing two cashcows (Floyd and Greenburg) who are the chief reasons many viewers watched is the equivalent of MP leaving Arum (too bad that won't happen).

HBO favors the Brawler which is why they usually hated on Hopkins and Floyd, many who do not understand the art of boxing say that their styles are boring, they have their next Gatti in Rios, they're looking for Bradley to be their new MP and should either of them fall by the wayside then never fear they still have Alvarado to parade around.

you know...i am reminded of something that gives me more insight into the love they had for gatti.

i remember both angel manfreddy and ivan robinson beating gatti and neither got much love for their efforts. once they lost...they were off the network. but gatti had several losses on hbo and they always brought him back. he was a tough dude...and he had some spectacular fights against tracy patterson, wilson rodrigues and a few others...but he had quite a few losses on the network too and they brought him back continuously. not so for other fighters.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 27 2013, 08:24 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 28 2013, 12:35 AM) *
you know...i am reminded of something that gives me more insight into the love they had for gatti.

i remember both angel manfreddy and ivan robinson beating gatti and neither got much love for their efforts. once they lost...they were off the network. but gatti had several losses on hbo and they always brought him back. he was a tough dude...and he had some spectacular fights against tracy patterson, wilson rodrigues and a few others...but he had quite a few losses on the network too and they brought him back continuously. not so for other fighters.

I think it's because theres a difference between being a great fighter/boxer and a special fighter/boxer. Certain people just had "it" and others didn't. Sure they were good fighters, they could beat the best and more often than not did, but they don't have that X factor.

I mean Mayweather has his legacy, Pac has I don't know but there's something thats just special about him I can't put my finger on it.

I think it's why Bradley was shunned for the decision he received fighting Pac, I mean if he could replace Pac in terms of popularity and appeal the public and the pom pom crew would of had no problem backing him. Someone like Andre Ward, he just doesn't seem to have that X.

He can dominate all he wants, but till he does something huge, like move up to light heavy and dominate and continuously move up I think his window will just pass. Gatti was a warrior.

Maybe it's just the way I view the sport.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 03:47 AM