IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Skilled Boxing Verses "Running", How Do The Fighers Influence The Perception of These Terms?
Jack 1000
post Apr 14 2013, 06:49 PM
Post #1

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

In my view,

I think that today's generation is so accustomed to the brawling, slugging mentality, that we are seeing a trend of masterful boxers being booed and accused of running. I personally think that a masterful boxing is one who can employ the strategy of hit and not be hit. Jab, stick and move show the ability to dodge punches. A boxer defined as a "runner" refuses to engage, goes into a track meet, and does not try to win.

However, masterful boxers of the past like Pep, Ali, Leonard, Nelson, Whitaker were never accused of running, even though sometimes that had to run a little bit as part of the master boxing plan. However, because Ali and Leonard were master showmen, who were often loved, sometimes hated, with often no middle-ground, they could be forgiven for anything they did because of who they were.

Boxers like Mayweather and Hopkins are often criticized not only because of their personality, but because they don't brawl. Would today's generation of most fans and writers of boxing find Pep, Ali, and Leonard "boring?" Has boxing gotten to the point where so many fighters who don't brawl are considered "runners?"

Could elusive boxing be influencing judges in a negative way, where judges are thinking "effective aggressiveness has to involve brawling?" If a boxer is not coming forward, they think he should be punished for that? Is ineffective aggression being overly praised where the boxer is coming forward and throwing, but punches aren't landing?

Jack

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Marcus
post Apr 15 2013, 05:31 AM
Post #2

Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,254

I think MMA plays a big role in people discrediting the sweet science. With MMA being such an extreme contact sport many are accustomed or expect to see that same type of contact in boxing not realizing that boxing is a comepletely different game.

What Rigondeaux did to Donaire Saturday was BEAUTIFUL. The crazy part about it is he NEVER ran throughout the entire fight. He just pivoted, ducked, non and weaved. But really he was in front of Donaire that entire fight. Judges that don't take defensive skills into account shoddy be judges because they obviously don't appreciate the sport in its entirety and have an extreme bias. Rigo embarrassed Donaire, yet the score cards were so close and so many fans complained.

It's unfortunate the skills aren't appreciated in boxing today as much as they used to be. However the sport has transformed. Today boxing skills aren't as prevelant I'm the sport as they used to be and that's mainly thanks to MMA.

However I personally feel technicians deserve the most praise. Shame on anyone that didn't appreciate the type of work that a 32 year old boxer gave. I like versatile fighters, but I'm not a fan of technicians switching it up just to please the fans. For example Mayweather compromising what got him to the top to please fans. Noones forcing them to pay to see you. They aren't taking punches for you, putting their health at risk, putting in work at the gym.with that being said you hit and try not to get hit as much as possible. I hope that Donaire-Rigo fight inspires Floyd to return to the mayweatger of old...although he could probably give 2 shits about that fight anyways.

This post has been edited by Marcus: Apr 15 2013, 05:33 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 06:09 PM