Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mayweather: 30 Months Left
scdrking2
post Apr 25 2013, 06:25 PM
Post #11

Junior Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,802

So people really think Floyd will give up 25 lbs on fight night.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
duwdu
post Apr 27 2013, 04:04 AM
Post #12

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 11,536

QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Apr 25 2013, 07:25 PM) *
So people really think Floyd will give up 25 lbs on fight night.

My thoughts as well.

Mayweather would probably hold someone such as Martinez to Martinez' original offer to fight him at 150, AND for a 20:80 purse split in favor of Floyd.

Failing that kind of arrangement, I won't be surprised if Mayweather would insist on a max fight night weight of 160 for his opponent for a JMW fight, and I won't blame him - virtually all the greats pulled all sorts of stunts, as they held most of the aces late into their twilight years in competitive boxing.

Mayweather is well aware that a major blunder in his match-making at this late stage in his brilliant and fortunate career, can cost him his very precious "0."

Depending on how his fight with Guerrero goes, I think Mayweather will fight a 147 pounder this September, then take on a 154 guy - most probably Canelo - in May of '14. I think this because, as Mayweather defines it, he is serious about allowing his body to properly heal in-between fights.

P34c3

This post has been edited by duwdu: Apr 27 2013, 04:08 AM

+Quote Post
KOpower
post Apr 27 2013, 09:24 AM
Post #13

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 4,081

I just want Mayweather to fight the best. These are his final fights and if he wants to be considered among the 10 or so best p4p fighters of all-time then he NEEDS to improve his opposition. RG is ok. He is a decent fighter. The problem is I see Mayweather fighting a bunch of marginal guys the rest of the way if he doesn't face Canelo.

-Andre Berto
-Zab Judah (rematch)
-Danny Garcia
-Amir Khan
-Victor Ortiz (rematch)
-Lamont Peterson

Those are the options if no Canelo. Meh...hardly worthy of closing out Floyd's career. If Floyd wants to be considered one of the true greats, he NEEDS to take some risks. I never thought I would say Canelo was a risk, but apparently he has become one due to the weight.

+Quote Post
SCIO
post Apr 27 2013, 02:01 PM
Post #14

Amateur

Member No.: 13,562

It is true that he and Canelo agreed to fight in September and Mayweather has said that he was stripped of his WBA 154lb title and planned on defending it after the Guerrero fight. I still believe he'll fight Canelo next and it's possible he'd fight Danny Garcia if he gets past Judah. Bradley, Pacquiao, Martinez won't happen but it may be possible he faces Amir Khan after a few wins as Khan is almost a valid financial option. But yea there are plenty of 140 fighters moving up so there's plenty options ahead.

+Quote Post
sduck
post Apr 28 2013, 02:33 AM
Post #15

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Canelo came in over 170lbs in his last fight with Trout. I would like to see the fight too, but he might be too big now.

And say if Guerrero beats Mayweather, Canelo said he'd fight Guerrero, but he's too big for Guerrero too.

This post has been edited by sduck: Apr 28 2013, 02:33 AM

+Quote Post
Hotsauce
post Apr 28 2013, 03:56 AM
Post #16

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 11,903

QUOTE (SCIO @ Apr 27 2013, 02:01 PM) *
It is true that he and Canelo agreed to fight in September and Mayweather has said that he was stripped of his WBA 154lb title and planned on defending it after the Guerrero fight. I still believe he'll fight Canelo next and it's possible he'd fight Danny Garcia if he gets past Judah. Bradley, Pacquiao, Martinez won't happen but it may be possible he faces Amir Khan after a few wins as Khan is almost a valid financial option. But yea there are plenty of 140 fighters moving up so there's plenty options ahead.

where you hear this?

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Apr 28 2013, 08:46 AM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

it'd be possible with a rehydration clause...

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Apr 28 2013, 01:16 PM
Post #18

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

Hopefully after Guerrero Mayweather goes straight after that 150 catch weight with Martinez. This way Cotto and Canelo can fight at the end of this year. and if Mayweather doesn't think Canelo is too big, then MAYDAY next year will be Mayweather Canelo..Hopefully he hits canelo with a catch weight too. I know before he didn't care people came in heavier, but since he is older now he should take advantage of his position. I'm sure he'd win either way, they only have a punchers chance because of the weight advantage.

After those catchweights he can stay at 147 and fight the ones coming up from 140. Bradley, Khan, Garcia, Berto, Gamboa (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Maybe even Pacquiao still. But it would be wise of him to take the stronger heavier opponents first, anyone else after Martinez and Canelo will be easy work.

This post has been edited by Jovi: Apr 28 2013, 01:19 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 09:03 AM