IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Open Scoring: Poll Added!, How Do You Feel About It?
What is Your Take On The WBC's 4th and 8th Round Open Scring Rule?
How Do You Currently Feel About Open Scoring?
I Have Always Hated It [ 13 ] ** [81.25%]
I Have Always Liked It [ 1 ] ** [6.25%]
I Used to Hate It, But Now Like/Am Used To It [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
I Used to Like It, But Now Hate It [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
I Am Not Sure [ 2 ] ** [12.50%]
Total Votes: 16
Guests cannot vote 
The Original MrF...
post Apr 24 2013, 01:37 PM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,309

I think many who hate open scoring and the way it was presented in the Canelo/Trout fight may have really hated it because of the horrific scores read in the 8th round. If that score reflected a dead even fight, I dont think there would be as much backlash. I think the score shown after the 8th round that showed Trout trailing badly that pissed everybody off. Many, including Trout(to some degree) thought the fight was pretty much over unless Trout got a KO. Hey, even Stevie Wonder's scorecard had it close after 8.

I think open scoring can be done with success. I think it should be done after each round. I know the crowd may then sway the judges at ringside, just a bit after the scores are read. I also think that maybe there should be 5 Judges. 3 at ringside and 2 in a secluded room with a few monitors watching the fight with no replays or commentary just to balance the sway of the crowd noise. The ringside judges, particularly for this fight may get swayed way too much by the crowd. The secluded judges will see the fight in a more objective way. As it is now, we know judges are only human and dont have the benefit of replay, as we do. So they may see a scoring shot that didnt really score. That was also very evident in Pacquiao/Bradley. I think that happened to the benefit or detriment of both guys in Canelo/Trout.

I think the 8th round score just gave us a preview of what we saw at the end when the scorecards were tallied. The disappointment was the same, just earlier. If they showed the scores after each round, then Trout could have decided to get busier earlier. Of course its going to change the way the guy fights. I dont see anything wrong with that. In football if you are down by 20 points late in the 2nd quarter, you might start passing more. You change your approach to try to score more. In football they dont hold the score until late in the 3rd quarter and you find out the score is 40 to 10. And your team is the one with 10. Outside of some miracle, your not gonna win. Lets the scores be shown after each round. The judges may even be more honest that way.

This post has been edited by Jack 1000: Apr 24 2013, 11:56 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Cshel86
post Apr 25 2013, 08:39 AM
Post #2

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I'm in the minority here, I voted for unsure.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, open scoring sucks and I hate, BUT there are some other pressing and bun-chapping issues in the sport I'd like to see disappear. Choose one.

There will ALWAYS be bad score cards in boxing...they've seemed to turn a blind eye to it since day one. However, open scoring only seems to be horrible when the Austin Trouts of the world, would much rather pitty-pat and pussyfoot his way through a fight that he KNEW he had a big chance of getting shafted in, had it gone to the cards.

The other kicker with open scoring, is the effect that it takes out of the fight. We all saw it last weekend...why take any chances in the final round, if you already know that you've "won" the fight?

Open scoring wouldn't be such a bad thing if the judges weren't so horrible. Again, there are other things that I'd like to see leave the sport, before open scoring.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Apr 25 2013, 12:44 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 25 2013, 02:39 PM) *
There will ALWAYS be bad score cards in boxing...they've seemed to turn a blind eye to it since day one. However, open scoring only seems to be horrible when the Austin Trouts of the world, would much rather pitty-pat and pussyfoot his way through a fight that he KNEW he had a big chance of getting shafted in, had it gone to the cards.

So what your saying is that fighters should always go for a KO and forget boxing principles just because fear of the cards? I'd rather fix the root of the problem. Fire judges and bring in some fresh meat.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 25 2013, 01:36 PM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 25 2013, 01:44 PM) *
So what your saying is that fighters should always go for a KO and forget boxing principles just because fear of the cards? I'd rather fix the root of the problem. Fire judges and bring in some fresh meat.

Didn't Salido do it? Twice? Didn't JMM just do it, after being shafted 2 or 3 times? I mean sheesh, I know these fighters fight for a living and dont care much about watching other fights, but they should really consider taking pages from other fighters' books.

I cant remember the scores from the first Salido/Lopez fight when the stoppage occurred, but the fix was definitely in for the second fight...before Salido scored yet another TKO.

I agree with firing the judges, but that's in a perfect world. These guys are fighters, and they should take things into their own hands when they have the control to do it (fighting). A judge cant get in there and fight for the favored fighter. A crooked promoter cant get in there and throw a punch for the favored fighter. Only the fighters can do this, but what do they? They leave it in the hands of somebody who hasn't put in ANY hard to compete that night.

Was Trout going balls to wall before he got dropped? Nope. He was boxing, or prepared to box anyway. I understand that neglecting boxing skills can spell "trouble", but being too cautious and naive about the judges scoring it fairly when you're fighting a clear favorite with 38k fans and promoters backing him up, is crazy.

Trout's talk leading up to the fight, told us all that we needed to know. All of that "If this fight is close, they wont give it to me" nonsense, is EXACTLY what happened. From what I understand, Trout's team wanted different judges, but they're request was denied, so he should've known how to approach the fight. NOW, he can talk on and on about how good of a boxer he is, but fact is, he's now in the back seat, he has NO rematch clause, and Canelo is about to land some big money fights.

My first thought is, if some of these guys were as good a boxer as they claimed to be, then they wouldn't be on the "deal with it" end of decisions this often. LOL

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- The Original MrFactor   Open Scoring: Poll Added!   Apr 24 2013, 01:37 PM
- - Jack 1000   No! Boxing got along just fine for 50-100 yea...   Apr 24 2013, 02:28 PM
|- - The Original MrFactor   Boxers going into track meets knowing they are ahe...   Apr 24 2013, 03:13 PM
|- - daprofessor   QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Apr 24 2013, 03:28 PM)...   Apr 24 2013, 03:28 PM
|- - BrutUalBK   QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Apr 24 2013, 02:28 PM)...   Apr 24 2013, 03:45 PM
- - The Original MrFactor   Do people stop watching football games that are bl...   Apr 24 2013, 03:32 PM
|- - Cshel86   QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Apr 24 2013, 0...   Apr 25 2013, 08:54 AM
- - Amandla   I think its an all around thumbs DOWN for open sco...   Apr 24 2013, 06:22 PM
- - mikE11   It doesn't really need to be debated. If yo...   Apr 24 2013, 07:59 PM
- - Plah   Am I the only one with Factor here? I think it sho...   Apr 24 2013, 08:06 PM
|- - aTYpicalTYrant   QUOTE (Plah @ Apr 24 2013, 09:06 PM) Am I...   Apr 24 2013, 08:28 PM
|- - The Original MrFactor   QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ Apr 24 2013, 09:2...   Apr 24 2013, 08:36 PM
|- - aTYpicalTYrant   QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Apr 24 2013, 0...   Apr 25 2013, 08:21 AM
- - Jack 1000   No boxing problem has or will ever be fixed with o...   Apr 24 2013, 11:16 PM
- - mrchitown   I've never liked open scoring and I feel it ne...   Apr 25 2013, 12:44 AM
- - mgrover   I DONT LIKE IT. that is all   Apr 25 2013, 03:32 AM
- - Cshel86   I'm in the minority here, I voted for unsure. ...   Apr 25 2013, 08:39 AM
|- - mgrover   QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 25 2013, 02:39 PM) T...   Apr 25 2013, 12:44 PM
|- - Cshel86   QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 25 2013, 01:44 PM) S...   Apr 25 2013, 01:36 PM
|- - mgrover   QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 25 2013, 07:36 PM) D...   Apr 25 2013, 07:33 PM
|- - Cshel86   QUOTE (mgrover @ Apr 25 2013, 08:33 PM) I...   Apr 25 2013, 08:59 PM
- - daprofessor   hate is not in my vocabulary...but i do not want o...   Apr 25 2013, 01:29 PM
- - sduck   There's some big cons about open scoring, how ...   Apr 25 2013, 09:09 PM
- - Franchize   I don't get the purpose of it. It's not li...   Apr 26 2013, 07:49 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 01:20 PM